Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always changed my oil at 3000 miles. I put synthetic oil in my RG on my last oil change. My question is do I still change 3000 miles? Thanks...

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
welcome to the forum, there are so many oil threads here your head will will spin... do a search and you will be amazed...

·
Registered
372 Posts
What if it takes a person more than 3 months to rack up 3,000 miles.

I think a better question would be :

"How many months should our engines go without an oil change; considering that it would have way under 3,000 miles."

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I typically change mine twice a year. I go by the service manuel which for me has been the 1000, and 5000 mile change but I usually will also change just the engine oil in the spring. Depending on the winters here in CT depends on if I do it or not. Last year I rode clear thru the winter so I did not change it early spring. I think if your in an area that gets super cold and your bike sits you should change it more often.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I've been going 5000 miles between changes on every harly I've owned and thats with both dino oil and syn oil. Unless your one of those riders that only puts a few hundred miles a year on your trailer queen then I would suggest changing it annually.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Admittedly I'm one of the last holdouts on the 3000mi oil change, and I don't believe you can change your oil too often, however the days of 3000mi oil changes have gone by the way side. Unless you are in a situation where you ride less than 5-10 miles every time you start the bike, or ride in really adverse weather where your engine never gets fully warmed up, you will be fine with 5000mi changes, especially if you're using a quality synthetic oil.

I certainly don't agree with everything the MoCo puts out, but if they're willing too warrantee the engines with 5000mi oil changes, that's good enough for me.
('course there is the fact that very few riders will ever get past their 2nd oil change in 2 years)

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I do 5000.00 use Royle purple and half qt. lucas syn.stabelizer like rp can see it on dipstick when new ride in winter when I can change inspring no matter how many miles

·
Registered
2,012 Posts

On my RG, the manual says 5K on syn III, so I do. Exceptions are if it has been hot, and I was running the daylights out of it, I will change engine oil only a bit early.

On my dyna, I change it every 3k because it is a stage iv 95, and has 112K miles on it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I ride too many miles to even think about changing at 3K, 5K or as soon as I return:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
5000 with syntec

I'm following the owners manual recommendation of 5 k intervals. I just did the 5 k at the dealer. I was amazed with the variation in cost. I called several dealers in the Denver metro area and was quoted a price range from $210 - $370 and 1 indy quote of $390. The $210 price didn't include the tranny and primary fluid replacement. I suppose the other dealers replace the tranny and primary. The manual recommends 10 k for primary and 20 k for the tranny. Point is, I follow the manual's/manufacture's recommendation. It saves money and I feel the more aggressive maintenance intervals are essentially money makers (for them). I've read various credible articles regarding the subject for both motorcycles and automobiles and mostly all recommend following the manufacture recommendation. It is a waste of oil and money to do otherwise (in my opinion). By the way, the $210 included 1.6 hours of labor. The other dealers quoted 2 hours of labor that included tranny and primary fluid replacement.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I change all three holes, o rings (no matter what condition), filter, gasket, clean or replace air filter, and change plugs between 5,000 - 7,500 miles. Mobil 1 VTwin Syn and Redline in the trans and primary. I take it to an independent for the other items that need to be addressed at the scheduled intervals. No more HD Dealers will touch my bikes for service work.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 14 of 14 Posts