Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here we go. 2011 RGU.

At 50 miles, drained all 3 cases and replaced with H-D Dino in the crankcase and H-D Syn3 in the Trans and Chain. New Filter
At 1000 miles, drained the crankcase and replaced with HD-Dino. New Filter
At about 4.5K miles, drained the crankcase and replaced with HD-Syn3. New Filter

Now, I got drips and leaks everywhere. Both the Trans and Crankcase plugs drip, and I got drips forward under the filter. The bolt and compression washer above the crank drain bolt drips too, and I never even touched that one. The entire undercase is wet.

I did replace the o-rings, but I did not teflon or otherwise prep the threads on the drainbolts.
What gives, and what did I screw up here. More importantly, whats the best way to fix? Teflon the threads?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
So here we go. 2011 RGU.

At 50 miles, drained all 3 cases and replaced with H-D Dino in the crankcase and H-D Syn3 in the Trans and Chain. New Filter
At 1000 miles, drained the crankcase and replaced with HD-Dino. New Filter
At about 4.5K miles, drained the crankcase and replaced with HD-Syn3. New Filter

Now, I got drips and leaks everywhere. Both the Trans and Crankcase plugs drip, and I got drips forward under the filter. The bolt and compression washer above the crank drain bolt drips too, and I never even touched that one. The entire undercase is wet.

I did replace the o-rings, but I did not teflon or otherwise prep the threads on the drainbolts.
What gives, and what did I screw up here. More importantly, whats the best way to fix? Teflon the threads?

Thanks in advance.
are you sure it is just not oil blowing back from the oil spilled when you changed the filter?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some could be blow-back, (especially up front) but I'm consistently seeing fresh drips from the oil and trans drain bolts. I've also cleaned the underside on several occasions. I also have about 1000 miles on since my last o/c, so I figure anything that has blown back should of already done so.

Just cleaned it again, and am gonna look again tomorrow night.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I would check to see if the o rings have been pinched or torn during the installation. they could have also been under or over torqued. I would recommend lubricating the o rings as well. I'm no experienced HD mech, but I do know a thing or two about turning wrenches on helos, and there's a ton of o rings on those bad boys.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.224077,-117.319603

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I'm no experienced HD mech, but I do know a thing or two about turning wrenches on helos, and there's a ton of o rings on those bad boys.
And blowing a seal on a whirlybird at a couple thousand feet doesn't mean pulling over and calling for a ride.:D

What about the filter seal? It just seams freaky that both the oil and tranny plugs would start leaking at the same time. Do you have an oil cooler? Try getting everything cleaned off then take a short ride and check. Might be able to trace the leak back to the origin before the leak gets blown all over the place.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Apply teflon tape to the threads also. I know it's overkill and the o-rings should hold, but an ounce of prevention.....

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
spray brake cleaner all over the front where you spilled the oil, under where its collected and dripping from then blow it all off with compressed air. Now you start clean and see where the oil is dripping from.
Hard to believe you got all those leaks show up just from an oil change.
good luck

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like it's just the Tranny plug. Cleaned it thoroughly and put 100 miles on, then let it sit for a night. One drip spot only. Thanks for the advise. This is my first time dealing with these silly little O-rings. All my metrics before just used crush washers and I've never had an issue like this. I'll lay even money I ripped the o-ring when I re-installed the plug.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update. It wasnt the tranny plug. The leak came back on me. Ive been busy and the bike hasnt moved in a month. I know...bad,bad,bad. Took it out for a short errand and the exhaust is smoking. Wtf. Look underneath and the entire undercarraige is coated with oil. Ended up that the two bolts that hold the exhaust hanger underneath the tranny cover were very loose. The bolts are in a very inconvenient location, but after a bit of swearing, i was able to snug them up. Dont know if they were undertorqued from the dealer or what, but if this helps someone else who has the same issue, then its all good.

·
Registered
7,263 Posts
Good to know. Glad u got it figured out

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I don't understand what those two hanger bolts have to do with the oil leaking. If the exhaust is smoking - is it smoking coming OUT the exhaust (bad rings or engine issue) or smoking FROM the oil covered exhaust pipe(s) exterior?

You need to start over. Drain all three holes (see picture), get new o-rings, new primary gasket (sometimes includes 0-rings), new oil filter, and new oil. Then ensure that you re-install the drain plugs, primary cover, and filter correctly. Add oil to all three holes.

One thing about the filter - use something to catch the oil residue from the filter to reduce the amount of excess oil dumped when you remove the filter. H-D sells a unit or you can make one from a plastic bottle, cardboard, or whatever but try to reduce it as much as you can. Also put a bunch of paper towels under and around the filter area to catch the oil. And remember to JUST snug the drain bolts!!!

Get back with us if you have more or the same problem - you can do it! :D

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts