Road Glide banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing my 1st self oil change at about 5500 miles, stealer did the 1k for free. They put dino oil in and I'm swapping to Redline, now the question is will draining the oil get most (+90%) of the old out with the cooler?

A friend has a scavenger system of his Softail and highly reccomends them. I was checking this out for RG Oil Scavengerbut I won't have it before I need to do the oil change. Looks like it's about $100 for a touring bike. Is it worth the money to do this? Is there a cheaper system out there? Is it really neccessary when oil is changed every 5k miles?

·
Registered
217 Posts
You could always go "old school" and change your oil every 3000mi and not pay the premium for the synthetic stuff.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You could always go "old school" and change your oil every 3000mi and not pay the premium for the synthetic stuff.
Either way is not really the question :) The question is, is it worth it get most of the old oil out or does it really matter. Weither I use dino or syn the old oil is still in there :)

·
Super Moderator
10,220 Posts
Never used the scavenger myself , and I am anal about my oil . My Ultra with oil cooler takes almost 4 qts , which leaves not much , more or less in the bike ..
In my experience , if you change when you are supposed to change oil , wont be an issue . I get an Oil Analysis done at every oil change , and these TC's run really clean anyways ..

As for using dino oil , with the heat generated by the TC , I think , syn is the way to go , tho there are peeps who use dino in the TC

JtB

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
A couple of ounces of dino oil left over after you drain it isn't going to hurt anything. People have been changing oil in engines long before those scavanger systems were around and there was never an issue. Its just a tool looking for a problem that don't exist.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I have always used the Dino oil, change it at 2500-3000 miles religiously. Never used a scavenger. The cost of oil and a filter is nothing compared to engine repairs. Plus it's really easy to change the oil on these new TCs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts