Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I've heard all kinds of intervals between oil changes, I understand what type of riding you do comes into play and where you live and the heat and so forth. I have a 2013 RG that last had an oil change (Redline Synthetic) at around 5,000 I now have 7200 and people are telling you need to change it now? What is then normal time frame for a change? 2,000, 3,000 4,000. Will probably get it done regardless since i live in the northeast and will be putting the bike away in a month or so.

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
With Mobil 1, I go 5K .

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Lucas full syn every 5000 here.

·
Super Moderator
1,766 Posts
vlgolf,

Short version, yes change the oil right before you store the bike, clean oil is better than dirty oil for long term storage. Oil is cheap insurance in your bike.

Put a battery tender on the bike. Cover it so that dust is kept off it or to a minimum.

DON'T START YOUR BIKE unless you absolutely have to to move it. Running your bike for short periods over the winter is actually harder on it than letting it sit. Running your bike for short periods will build up moisture in the crankcase and make for airspace in the fuel tank which will let air in and air has water in it especially in more humid climates.

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
M1, ~5k here also. Change it yourself this winter (do a 10 k service). Then you will be ready to go for 2015. Get a service manual if you don't have one. If you have any questions folks here are always willing to help.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Redline 60 every 5k, blessed to live in SE Texas where there is no such thing as " puttin' it up for the winter." :D

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I also have a 2013 and use Redline Synthetic. I change the oil at 5K intervals. Any earlier with Synthetic oil is a waste of time, money and oil other than for storage.

·
Super Moderator
9,599 Posts
I subscribe to I'm gonna see how far the Redline will go . I use 20w-60 year round , and I get an oil analysis done with Blackstone every oil change . I have several of the results posted here .

My last analysis was done at a 6300+ mile interval and the oil still looked great . The next interval was a few miles less IIRC , and I have yet to send that one off . 5300 ish on the current oil .

At the 6300+ one they recommended going to 8000 ..

JtB

·
Registered
440 Posts
I subscribe to I'm gonna see how far the Redline will go . I use 20w-60 year round , and I get an oil analysis done with Blackstone every oil change . I have several of the results posted here .

My last analysis was done at a 6300+ mile interval and the oil still looked great . The next interval was a few miles less IIRC , and I have yet to send that one off . 5300 ish on the current oil .

At the 6300+ one they recommended going to 8000 ..

JtB
I just sent my last oil change sample to Blackstone for analysis. Had 5300 on it and I want to see just what is left and how much junk is in the oil.
Use Redline 20w-60 in the summer.
Oil is cheap insurance ... but if it is still good, why change it ?

·
Registered
743 Posts
Thanks for the link to Blackstone! I just did a 30k service on my 2012. After the next thousand miles the new oil (Mobil 1) was looking pretty dark. I will be sending a sample to Blackstone just to see.....

1 - 20 of 34 Posts