Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to buy a RGS which has the oil cooled engine as opposed to the RGU which is liquid cooled. I will be adding a tourpack and riding 2-up and long distance touring in the summertime. I want the RGS so I can get the Industrial Gray Denim with blacked out motor. I have read that the oil cooled system is not as efficient as the liquid cooled. My question for the forum is, will I have a problem with the RGS running hot while loaded down, driving long and hard in the hot summertime?

·
Super Moderator
1,818 Posts
Simple answer; NO!!

Up until the "shower head" motors, touring motors were always only oil/air cooled.

You can do more modifications easily to the oil/air cooled motor and many many many many hundreds of thousands of miles, millions even have been put on those motors without any trouble.

Buy the RGS in the color you want, add the tourpak and any other accessories you want and ride it.

If you are travelling in the south of AZ in the extreme heat in the summer you might consider 20W60 oil but otherwise, pick a good synthetic 20W50 oil after break in and change it religiously along with the primary and trans fluid and ride it

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Simple answer; NO!!

Up until the "shower head" motors, touring motors were always only oil/air cooled.

You can do more modifications easily to the oil/air cooled motor and many many many many hundreds of thousands of miles, millions even have been put on those motors without any trouble.

Buy the RGS in the color you want, add the tourpak and any other accessories you want and ride it.

If you are travelling in the south of AZ in the extreme heat in the summer you might consider 20W60 oil but otherwise, pick a good synthetic 20W50 oil after break in and change it religiously along with the primary and trans fluid and ride it

Calgaryglide
Yep.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
If you think you will be caught in stop and go traffic a lot because you are planning to tour all the major cities in the US, then you can add the cooling fans like the lovejugs to help you out.

I had the '16 RGU and now have the '18 Special and no regrets. The non removable lowers on the Ultra made the ride hotter for me because of lack of air flow. Now I can add the lowers in the winter and take them off for the summer.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
the newer bikes also have available a fan for the oil cooler, that helps when stuck in stop n go traffic.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I love air/oil cooled bikes.
You have added weight and complexity with a liquid cooled engine on a HD touring. And, you are married to having lowers.

Reactions: Popx3

·
Registered
237 Posts
the newer bikes also have available a fan for the oil cooler, that helps when stuck in stop n go traffic.
Just bought this for my RGS. Have not tried it yet but I figure if it drops the oil temp it can't hurt engine longevity. I am also hoping (thought probably not likely) that it will reduce the furnace on my leg when I get stuck in traffic, maybe a little bit. So if you are worried about engine heat that is another option for you. :smile:

·
Registered
47 Posts

I don't know about the M-8 engines, but on the Twin Cam Road Glides you can install the Road Glide Ultra oil pan and increase you oil capacity by 1.5 quarts, from 3.5 to 5 quarts.

The extra oil will help the engine run cooler.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I personally prefer the oil cooled M8s over the water cooled ones just for the simple fact of not having all the extra stuff, the antifreeze and the non-removable fairing lowers. I bought a RGS about a month ago and one of the first things I did was to add the P&A oil cooler fan to mine. The bike is already wired for it and (once the feature is turned on by a dealer) it is completely invisable to you as the rider. You don't have to remember to turn the fan on or off. I did that because of all of the traffic around here and because I know I'm going to tearing my engine down and doing some performance work, in addition to adding a tour pack, over the coming months.

Reactions: geo8866

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Did a 2 week, 5,700 mile road trip to Arizona on my 17 Special this past June. Rode in 100 degree weather (with Tourpak, lowers, and CoolFlow) and it rode like a champ and felt no heat.

The Specials can do anything an Ultra can!!!

See attached link for pics. Enjoy!!

2018 Rt66 Road Trip Slideshow by sweetluisp | Photobucket

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2019 CVO Road Glide, oil cooled. Personally, I prefer the simplicity of the oil cooled engine. Also, I just added the Harley fan assisted oil cooler and I love it! I do not have actual temperature measurements, but it has to help during stop & go riding... It was very easy to install but the dealer has to enable the fan in the ECM.

There are other ways to reduce running temperatures, like cat-less head pipes, better tune, etc.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I love air/oil cooled bikes.
You have added weight and complexity with a liquid cooled engine on a HD touring. And, you are married to having lowers.
That's why I ride an older 2010 FLTRX. In Florida, summer heat with lowers is a ride killer.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
i ride year round with lowers. i'm in la, so not much different than fl. around april, i remove the vent doors, and then put them back in around oct/nov. without the doors, get a decent amount of breeze while moving, and while stopped, it doesn't really make any difference, that's going to be hot regardless..

·
Registered
36 Posts
Did a 2 week, 5,700 mile road trip to Arizona on my 17 Special this past June. Rode in 100 degree weather (with Tourpak, lowers, and CoolFlow) and it rode like a champ and felt no heat.

The Specials can do anything an Ultra can!!!

See attached link for pics. Enjoy!!

2018 Rt66 Road Trip Slideshow by sweetluisp | Photobucket
Thanks for the slide show Lu. I've ridden my 15 RGS over a bunch of hwy 66 thru Az and it brought back great memories. If I may ask where was the last sequence of pics in the colorful canyon. I've ridden my 15 in Phoenix in June. It doesn't get any hotter than that. If I was going to be there a lot I would get the smaller Love Jugs fans. I think a stage 1 with a good tune really helps the temps. I had one of Ward's setup on my 95" cammed 99 Road King Classic and I thought it helped. Not scientific but my opinion. YMMV .....goldie

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Thanks for the slide show Lu. I've ridden my 15 RGS over a bunch of hwy 66 thru Az and it brought back great memories. If I may ask where was the last sequence of pics in the colorful canyon. I've ridden my 15 in Phoenix in June. It doesn't get any hotter than that. If I was going to be there a lot I would get the smaller Love Jugs fans. I think a stage 1 with a good tune really helps the temps. I had one of Ward's setup on my 95" cammed 99 Road King Classic and I thought it helped. Not scientific but my opinion. YMMV .....goldie
The last sequence is highway 550, the Million Dollar highway in Colorado!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts