Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the oil cooler w/fans really works & is it worth the purchase? I found two companies that sell similar setups, Jagg & Ultra Cool. Any input on these?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
564 Posts
Q,
Check out Wards Parts Werks
Dude is WAY into cooling/heat management and has designed thermostats and forced air fans that cool directly where needed. I know that it's not directly what you were asking, but thought I'd throw something into the mix for you.

http://www.wardspartswerks.com/

I plan on ordering both parts from this guy soon before the scorching Texas heat is in full effect

Good luck finding what you want!
Scott

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx for the info. Do you have a set? If so, does the fan turn on automatically when a certain temperature is reached or is it manual?

·
Registered
564 Posts
I'm ordering first of the month, but done some research/reading and talked to Jason who owns the place. Fans cut on automatically when rear cylinder temp hits 250 or when you slow to 45 mph or under.
The low temp thermostats he sells just keep the oil from getting too hot before the cooler has to try and cool it down.
Interesting read on his theories and testing on his site if you have a few minutes

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
I have the Jagg 10 row with fan. I never really took any before/after temp readings, but at least I know the oil is hot whenever I hear the fan running.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I have 3 computer style cooling fans behind my oil cooler, not automatic though they are wired to my ACC switch and I turn it on/off.

can find them on ebay for like 70 bucks.

(not my bike in picture actually used the pic from a current ebay auction)

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Skototrot19, I read the story/theory.. Very in depth.

Zog, great idea.. That's something to consider.

OldN, how you liking your Jag?

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Have used well over 10yrs ago, no fans though (thought they were all for metrics with rad), seems they'd just blow the heat around, air cooled motor, keep it the wind, they only get so hot. Seen on TV HD runs them in desert heat partialy enclosed. The surface area,passages and fins for oil to even out. 3-400$ can buy shade for you and yours own longevity.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have the Wards fans and with these fans, 95 degrees stop and go traffic last summer and no ETIMS on my 09
And it used to cut off rear cyl in 80 degree stop and go before fans.
Oh and by the way I don't have an oil cooler at all on my bike at this time.
Also just to make another point of how little power they consume I left my fans on one time in the parking garage for 12 hours and I still had no trouble starting my bike after my work shift.
They definitely get my vote is the first thing to do for heat issues.
About the only negative thing that occurs is it it blows the heat through the cylinder heads and over on to your right thigh.
-ST

Q,
Check out Wards Parts Werks
Dude is WAY into cooling/heat management and has designed thermostats and forced air fans that cool directly where needed. I know that it's not directly what you were asking, but thought I'd throw something into the mix for you.

http://www.wardspartswerks.com/

I plan on ordering both parts from this guy soon before the scorching Texas heat is in full effect

Good luck finding what you want!
Scott

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Administrator
12,485 Posts
I have the Wards fans, and an Ultra Cool oil filter, both work, and together they really help.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I run the Harley fan on the side of the cylinders where the horn is normally mounted - makes a very big difference in city stop and go traffic. As standar it is thermostat switched, but I have it on a switch now so I can turn it on as required.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Jagg 10 row, fan assisted. works very good. my engine temp now is too low. runs at 200. Occasionally in stop and go traffic may reach 220...but fan kicks on at 215. I would recommend the thermostat with the Jagg.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Thx for the input guys. Does anyone has the Ultra Cooler system?

I have an ultra cool in powder coat black I'm selling, brand new still in the box. Turns out I'm trading/selling the bike before I had a chance to install. PM if interested.

I tried a LeNale fan prior to that and it didn't seem to make much difference.

I did a lot of research and UC seemed the way to go. :)

http://www.ultracoolfl.com/

1 - 17 of 17 Posts