Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a rather interesting conversation with Ron Axtell from Axtell Sales today,after ordering his oil bypass kit,on the subject of harleys oil cooler,his claim is that i will see a 20 to 25 degree drop in oil temps by removing the factory oil cooler,because it is very restrictive,this conclusion was achieved from testing for the better part of a year according to him,not saying that i believe him,but he has been around hd motors a lot longer than i have,he was very cool guy to talk to,give him a call and ask him his opinion,keep in mind that just because the engineers at harley designed it doesn't make it the best design(late model comps come to mind).

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
It may be true with the older harleys that didn't have oil jets spraying oil on the piston skirts, but with the newer bikes using the oil to help cool the hotter running 96/103/110 engines the oil cooler is beneficial.
WHY would HD install oil coolers on the bike right out of the factory if it didn't help. HD has engineers and testing facilities and test tracks that test these items and if HD could save a buck by selling a bike without a oil cooler they would. JMO

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes i was incorrect Ron Dickey.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree with you some what Ironmark,but if the testing that HD does,wouldnt they do a better job of finding some of the repeated issues with wrapped brake rotors,comps,ect,i work for the worlds largest commercial jet engine manufacture we have some very sharp engineers,but they dont always get it right the first time.we test until something fails go back to the drawing boards then test some more.Maybe one of our engine experts would like to weight in on this.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Interesting, but I have a hard time buying that. Can't wrap my head around the concept that circulating hot oil straight back up to the top end, will somehow keep it cooler than oil that runs through a cooler. As for the cooler being "restrictive"; have you seen the tiny holes in the ends of the pushrods, which is how the oil gets to the heads. Or the small jets that douche the underside of the pistons? I suspect that there is plenty of volume moving through the cooler. No disrespect to Mr. Dickey, but I'll leave mine in place.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm leaving mine on as well,just thought it was an interesting discussion and worth sharing.

·
Registered
98 Posts
So maybe someone is about to launch their own new line of coolers/fans/pumps or is that reading to much into it ;)

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now keep in mind at some point in our conversation Mr Dickey started talking way over my head,but what i came away with was,in his opinion,thru testing that the oil cooler is keeping the oil in the engine to long because of its restrictive nature,which in turn heats the oil hotter than the cooler can cool it.Now,this is his opinion.

·
Registered
168 Posts
If you don't have an oil cooler, isn't the oil going to stay in the motor heating up? Even if the cooler was restrictive, wouldn't some cooling be better than no cooling?

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can see all sides of this,i may invest in a oil temp gauge and try it for my self,since removing the oil cooler is fairly simple.My 01 RG never had an oil cooler and it made 101 hp with 10.25 compression never had a heat issue with it and had over 60,000 miles on that 95 inch motor.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts