Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just realized as I was finishing up the 1000 mile service that the local Harley t-shirt shop only had oil filter part number 63796-77A, crossed referenced that on harley site and it's for sportsters.......... think there will be any issue using it on the new cvo? I think that they have been selling me the same filter all along for the 2002 ultra classic with no issues so I'm wondering if using it on the CVO will be a problem for the 110 motor.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It will fit , and as such , I doubt it will hurt anything .

JtB
it threaded right on, just wondering about the possibility of restricted flow through the filter?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Not sure about the oil filter, but it could affect the oil pressure.
Just throwing this out there.
There are many on-line retailers that ship products all over the country. Why not have the oil you want ( or need ) along with the correct filters shipped to your door ?
I use Red Line products from this supplier. Shipping is free over $100.
http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/category/OilsandLubricants

This is not to say what oil to use. There are many different companies that provide and ship their products. The friendly UPS man will drop anything you want at your door !

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure about the oil filter, but it could affect the oil pressure.
Just throwing this out there.
There are many on-line retailers that ship products all over the country. Why not have the oil you want ( or need ) along with the correct filters shipped to your door ?
I use Red Line products from this supplier. Shipping is free over $100.
http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/category/OilsandLubricants

This is not to say what oil to use. There are many different companies that provide and ship their products. The friendly UPS man will drop anything you want at your door !
RPW is my supplier as well , Redline all three holes and the K&N oil filter

JtB
Whats the difference between the yes and no style K&N filters with price dif of 1 penny on the link that you attached and what pricing are you getting per quart? Is redline that much better than amsoil because it is $4 morew per quart than what I can get amsoil for?

·
Administrator
12,365 Posts
one filter is the replacement for the filter p/n you put up and the other is the correct one for the bike ..

Don't know if it is 'better' , wont go there , but I run 7500-8500 between oil changes with no issues according to used oil analysis I get every oil change ..

They have a 20-50 and 20-60 power pack where you get all three oils and some goodies for a bit better price break , still have to get a filter and an extra qt of primary oil , but the extra is a one time purchase , since you only use a few ounces out of it ..

Plus the power pack throws in a funnel and some decals and other goodies ..

The last oil I got was $13.49 ish per quart IIRC ..

JtB

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
I use the Wix oil filter from O'Reilly auto parts. They have them in black and Chrome. I believe it is the best oil filter.
WIX - Oil Filter
Part # 57348

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
one filter is the replacement for the filter p/n you put up and the other is the correct one for the bike ..

Don't know if it is 'better' , wont go there , but I run 7500-8500 between oil changes with no issues according to used oil analysis I get every oil change ..

They have a 20-50 and 20-60 power pack where you get all three oils and some goodies for a bit better price break , still have to get a filter and an extra qt of primary oil , but the extra is a one time purchase , since you only use a few ounces out of it ..

Plus the power pack throws in a funnel and some decals and other goodies ..

The last oil I got was $13.49 ish per quart IIRC ..

JtB

which one do i need for the bike?

·
Registered
483 Posts
the only thing I would be concerned with is this that I found on the HD website
how many microns does it filter?
63796-77A how many microns does it filter?
This filter is rated at 29 microns.

Thank you!
November 4, 2014

and for the proper filter for your bike
5 Micron SuperPremium5 Oil Filter-63731-99A

so the filter that the dealer sold you will not filter as fine of particles as the correct one for your bike according to the HD website , you may want to ask the dealer about it .

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the only thing I would be concerned with is this that I found on the HD website
how many microns does it filter?
63796-77A how many microns does it filter?
This filter is rated at 29 microns.

Thank you!
November 4, 2014

and for the proper filter for your bike
5 Micron SuperPremium5 Oil Filter-63731-99A

so the filter that the dealer sold you will not filter as fine of particles as the correct one for your bike according to the HD website , you may want to ask the dealer about it .
Copy that, I had already ordered a 5 micron filter, I read the same info on the HD sire as well. thanks....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts