Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if anyone has done or seen an oil filter relocation while using the lower fairing too. I know the DK offers on that puts the filter behind the primary case, but I am more interested in keeping the fillets closer to the original location, maybe on the downtube like we see without the lower fairing.

· Registered
289 Posts
@Mike U and @hd4cruzin; How does that affect your lean angle?
I'd be worried about dragging my boards and ripping the filter off. I don't purposely drag the boards but it's been known to happen.
The relocation kit position the oil filter under the passenger floor board no way you will drag it!

· The Greatest Moderator on The Internet
13,489 Posts
@Mike U and @hd4cruzin; How does that affect your lean angle?
I'd be worried about dragging my boards and ripping the filter off. I don't purposely drag the boards but it's been known to happen.
@Caveman I do not have any issues at all the oil filter is tucked up under the left rear floorboard.
Mike U.

· Registered
3,127 Posts
@Caveman I do not have any issues at all the oil filter is tucked up under the left rear floorboard.
Mike U.
I've been looking at these...but wondered how far they mounted down. Thanks Mike for the description.

13,489 Posts
I've been looking at these...but wondered how far they mounted down. Thanks Mike for the description.
You’re welcome Tony.
Just be careful running the oils lines that they do not rub against anything.
Ask Me how I know😁
Mike U.

· Premium Member
2,353 Posts
From the DK website:

• This Cool-n-Clean Oil Filter Relocation Kit was specifically designed to allow you to lean all the way over in a curve, still leaving plenty of clearance between the filter and the ground. Because of it being tucked tight and high, the left side passenger floorboard can only use the top and middle position.
Looks like a great product for sure.

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You’re welcome Tony.
Just be careful running the oils lines that they do not rub against anything.
Ask Me how I know😁
Mike U.
Mike U, can you provide any pics of how you have the lines ran? This has been my biggest concern.

I have also wondered how much additional oil this requires during an oil change and how you drain that additional oil during and change, seems like that would be a fair amount of dirty oil sitting in those lines after a change.

13,489 Posts
Mike U, can you provide any pics of how you have the lines ran? This has been my biggest concern.

I have also wondered how much additional oil this requires during an oil change and how you drain that additional oil during and change, seems like that would be a fair amount of dirty oil sitting in those lines after a change.
@Blueangel73 I do not have any photos presently but if it warms up some I will go out and snap a few for You.
I ran the oil lines up against the left side of the frame and wire-tied them securely so they do not move. Originally they were not tied securely and ended up rubbing against the frame wearing through.
As for the oil change and extra oil in the lines, I always use a Rogue Choppers Scavenger Kit. I am not sure if the Twin Cam Kit will work with an M8 Engine but would be worth checking.
Mike U.

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@Blueangel73 I do not have any photos presently but if it warms up some I will go out and snap a few for You.
I ran the oil lines up against the left side of the frame and wire-tied them securely so they do not move. Originally they were not tied securely and ended up rubbing against the frame wearing through.
As for the oil change and extra oil in the lines, I always use a Rogue Choppers Scavenger Kit. I am not sure if the Twin Cam Kit will work with an M8 Engine but would be worth checking.
Mike U.
Thanks, I read something about this kit a few years back but long forgot about it, I will look into it again.

I am guessing that you ran the lines out of the stock location and directly down the front of and then under engine/primary area along the frame back to the filter location behind the primary, did you go over or under the oil pan frame guard (guessing over)? I have seen a video or two in this but nothing really good. Did you use just the rubber lines or did you use lines with some type of shielding on them after the first ones had some rubbing issues?

13,489 Posts
Thanks, I read something about this kit a few years back but long forgot about it, I will look into it again.

I am guessing that you ran the lines out of the stock location and directly down the front of and then under engine/primary area along the frame back to the filter location behind the primary, did you go over or under the oil pan frame guard (guessing over)? I have seen a video or two in this but nothing really good. Did you use just the rubber lines or did you use lines with some type of shielding on them after the first ones had some rubbing issues?
You're welcome Bro!
Yes, that was the way the oil lines were run I will post photos for You soon.
I used an Oil Hose Kit from Amazon that I will list below.
Hope this helps.
Mike U.

· Registered
3,127 Posts
Thanks for the pics Mike

· Registered
7,741 Posts

My 2011 RGU was used to make the first preproduction version of the rear mount for touring bikes.

Reactions: Blueangel73
1 - 20 of 27 Posts