Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to change my oil today on my new to me 2000 Road Glide. I have plenty of oil on hand and was happy when I verified that the oil filter I needed also fit my '86 Tour Glide. I have about a dozen of them, cellophane wrapped, still in the box. (Emgo 10-82400) Then I looked on the box and realized how old these are. They have to be 25 years old as the newest year it shows in the application chart is 1989!

I know the right thing to do is not take a chance and trash them, but being a cob, I want the opinions of those who have been in the same boat. Would you still use these filters??

· Registered
1,243 Posts
I can't imagine that there is a shelf life for filters unless for some reason the glue that holds the media in place breaks down. Cut one open and check.

I would think that newer filters use a better or more updated filter media than those of 25 yrs ago.

· Registered
2021 Ducati Multistrada V4S
4,525 Posts
I would think the filter element inside may be deteriorated or at least weakened. Plus what was the microns of the filter 25yrs ago vs. the ones we use today?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.