Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I live on the North East shore of Lake Ontario. Probably in the same climate as folks in the Northern U.S.A. It is fall now and I am sadly getting ready to put the RG away.:( The previous owner used HD Syn 3 20w50. I have notice 10w50 synthetics from LUCAS and CASTROL at the local Walmart and Canadian Tire. Should folks up North continue with 20w50 or should we use one to these 10w50 options for because of cooler spring and fall?

·
Registered
520 Posts
I lived and rode the NE for 30 years.. ran Castrol 20/50w year round.. it was fine.. now in Florida, i'm running redline 20/60w.. it is much hotter here on a regular basis and it seems fine... if I had 10/50w back then, I probably would have used or at least tried it..:confused: shoot they have 0/15w now for the hybrids... zero weight but I wouldn't try that in the bike.:D

·
Registered
440 Posts
It's always best to stick with the manufacturers recommendation for oil viscosity. However, in extreme cold operation, the 10w-50w should help the cold start of your bike.
I still wouldn't use that oil for everyday use, unless you ride in 30 degree temps on a daily basis.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Read the owners manual and go by that. If you dont have one get it from ebay or the local dealer. They dont cost that much. Personaly i dont care how cold it gets i would not run a 10w oil.

Sent from my SGH-T769

·
Super Moderator
1,766 Posts
Run a 20W50 oil in your bike, dino or synthetic, whichever you choose.

You should change the oil before storing you bike for the winter. Ride your bike for a few miles to properly warm up all the fluids then do a hot change when you get it home.

Remember also to fill you fuel tank completely and use a good quality fuel stabilizer in the tank to preserve the fuel for next spring.

If you can, use a wheel chock or center stand to store your bike, it will give you more room to work around it in your storage area, garage or shop.

Regards,

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I know it is definatly cooler in Calgary than Southern Ontario. So if CalgaryGlide says use 20w50, I will go with 20w50. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Run a 20W50 oil in your bike, dino or synthetic, whichever you choose.

You should change the oil before storing you bike for the winter. Ride your bike for a few miles to properly warm up all the fluids then do a hot change when you get it home.

Remember also to fill you fuel tank completely and use a good quality fuel stabilizer in the tank to preserve the fuel for next spring.

If you can, use a wheel chock or center stand to store your bike, it will give you more room to work around it in your storage area, garage or shop.

Regards,

Calgaryglide
Calgaryglide wondering why you change the oil before you put it away. Are winters get cold(not Canada cold), but many night are in the teens. I have always changed the oil prior to my first ride of the spring. Is there a reason you change before putting away. Just curious. Maybe I have been doing it wrong? :mad:

·
Super Moderator
1,766 Posts
Calgaryglide wondering why you change the oil before you put it away. Are winters get cold(not Canada cold), but many night are in the teens. I have always changed the oil prior to my first ride of the spring. Is there a reason you change before putting away. Just curious. Maybe I have been doing it wrong? :mad:
I don't think there is a right or wrong, only a preference.

i do it in the fall because my bike will sit for at least 5 months in my heated shop. The oil from the late summer/fall riding will have a few miles on it, maybe even up to 4-5k and the detergent components in it will have broken down and done their job for that time.

Right now the bike has 20W60 in it. I put that in in late July before I left for SWIII because I knew I would be riding in some very hot temperatures. Unless I venture deep down south to Arizona/Texas or someplace like that again in a future summer I will probably not run 20W60 ever again.

Now I will put 20W50 in so that I am ready to go in the spring. I use Red Line Synthetic in the engine, their primary fluid and their transmission fluid. i've tried Amsoil, Royal Purple, HD Syn3 and some others. I prefer the Red Line now, it seems to work the best and I can find all I need locally.

I like knowing that there is clean oil in it over the winter and in the spring when I want to ride that is one less thing that I have to do, especially when you have been working on it in storage, there has been that ugly white stuff on the ground for months and I really just want to go out and ride.

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I don't think there is a right or wrong, only a preference.

i do it in the fall because my bike will sit for at least 5 months in my heated shop. The oil from the late summer/fall riding will have a few miles on it, maybe even up to 4-5k and the detergent components in it will have broken down and done their job for that time.

Right now the bike has 20W60 in it. I put that in in late July before I left for SWIII because I knew I would be riding in some very hot temperatures. Unless I venture deep down south to Arizona/Texas or someplace like that again in a future summer I will probably not run 20W60 ever again.

Now I will put 20W50 in so that I am ready to go in the spring. I use Red Line Synthetic in the engine, their primary fluid and their transmission fluid. i've tried Amsoil, Royal Purple, HD Syn3 and some others. I prefer the Red Line now, it seems to work the best and I can find all I need locally.

I like knowing that there is clean oil in it over the winter and in the spring when I want to ride that is one less thing that I have to do, especially when you have been working on it in storage, there has been that ugly white stuff on the ground for months and I really just want to go out and ride.

Calgaryglide
I hear ya man. Thanks. I've been looking at Red line and a amsoil as well. Use the HD screaming eagle stuff now. I would prefer that I change it now because it always happens that a nice day pops up and I get on the bike for a ride after it's been sitting for months. With dirty oil. I may go your route and change it now. I'm do for a 10,000 mile soon anyways. Thanks

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
45 Posts
("I prefer the Red Line now, it seems to work the best and I can find all I need locally".)

Calgaryglide, where do you buy Red Line?

·
Super Moderator
1,766 Posts

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
1,775 Posts
This is just my opinion but.......As oil is heated and cooled and compression takes place acid will build up in the oil over time. That is why you need to change oil when you put the bike away. Makes sure that acid and moisture doesn't sit there for an extended time. Again, JMO. :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks Calgaryglide. Found some locations in Ontario, but not at a convenient distance from me. Do you know if Walmart carries it?

·
Super Moderator
9,599 Posts
This is just my opinion but.......As oil is heated and cooled and compression takes place acid will build up in the oil over time. That is why you need to change oil when you put the bike away. Makes sure that acid and moisture doesn't sit there for an extended time. Again, JMO. :D
that right there is a true statement

JtB

·
Registered
46 Posts
The owners manual lists a 10W40 oil for use when temps are 40* F. and cold starts below 50*. Hey, I didn't write the manual just saying what the manual recommends. If you're going to use the 20W50 I'd let the engine warm a couple of minutes prior to riding to get that cold oil really flowing.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The owners manual lists a 10W40 oil for use when temps are 40* F. and cold starts below 50*. Hey, I didn't write the manual just saying what the manual recommends. If you're going to use the 20W50 I'd let the engine warm a couple of minutes prior to riding to get that cold oil really flowing.
Yup. I always start the bike and let it warm up while I put my motor gear on and do a short pre-ride check.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I run Shell Rotella in everything. Harley, Duramax, Catapillar and Corvette.
5w40 syn or 15w40 reg oil. The lower number is only when it is cold, then warmer it gets the thicker it get's. At operating temp both are 40w.
You will not find a better oil and it is everywhere for purchase.
It will work with wet clutch's also. The dealer is going sell you what they have at a prem. price.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts