Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having never had a temp gauge for either, I used to ride, blissfully unaware of either important bits of information. Now, I've got Dakota Digital gauges that show both.

The oil temp gauge can be set to flash when it gets too high; the default is 230°. On longer rides it gets into the mid 230s, and during a slow parade-like ride a few weeks ago, it hit 245°. Should I be concerned, or is the default conservatively low?

IIRC, the EITMS kicks in at 300° head temp. What temp is cause for alarm?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Your default is set too low. The best way to fix it is take a piece of black electrical tape and place it across the temperature readout. I promise you your motor will run much smoother that way. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Your default is set too low. The best way to fix it is take a piece of black electrical tape and place it across the temperature readout. I promise you your motor will run much smoother that way. :rolleyes:
I agree 230* is fine and in parade duty stuff it can approach 280*. That is why quality oil is a must but on the bright side oils of today are mostly good and much better then oils of yester year.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heh. I can change the setting. :D

·
Registered
331 Posts
Do you have pictures of the install of these gauges? I'm interested.

My Rodger McEwan gauges have seen 300+ temps which makes me wonder about (a) the accuracy of the gauge or (b) capability of the bike to keep the oil below critical temps. I've got the engine torn apart right now for a DME rebuild and no damage on any of the top end components. In fact after 30,000 miles the wear was quite negligible on the cams, rocker arms, and valves. Just a little scuffing on the rocker arms.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bikepsych, no I didn't take any pictures of the gauge install. It was pretty straightforward: pull old gauges out, put new gauges in, plug in all the connectors. Only minorly tricky part was putting the sensor in for oil temp. I waited for an oil change interval for that part. Had to unscrew a plug (different than the drain plug) from the oil pan and put the sensor in its place. Feed the wire up the frame to the fairing and it's done.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
my wrench told me McEwen oil temp gauge is the most accurate u can buy. I added a Jagg fan assisted oil cooler and my oil temp yesterday on a 94 degree hot day was 215. Before the oil cooler, cam change and dyno my temps would run 260 to 300.

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
I was told by a HD tech that when they get ready for a dyno tune that they need to get the bikes up to about 300* in order to get everything to read properly. He also told me that the twin cam motor will run alot hotter than previous motors. On a 85* day mine runs about 220ish

·
Registered
587 Posts
Having never had a temp gauge for either, I used to ride, blissfully unaware of either important bits of information.
This is why I keep putting off replacing the air temp gauge with the oil temp gauge. I have ridden my bike in temperatures from 35-110 degrees F hours on end and it is still running fine. I figure if the bike cannot handle functioning in the real world environment, I don't need it. I don't exactly live in a "cool zone", so far it has managed to pass 56K miles (all on dino oil) without falling apart.

Unless your bike is running different than before the gauges where changed, you should be fine.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I was told by a HD tech that when they get ready for a dyno tune that they need to get the bikes up to about 300* in order to get everything to read properly. He also told me that the twin cam motor will run alot hotter than previous motors. On a 85* day mine runs about 220ish
I think he was referring to cylinder head temps at 300, not oil temp.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think he was referring to cylinder head temps at 300, not oil temp.
Yes, 300° head temp.

Highest oil temp I've seen is ~245°

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
Everyone that answered your question to this thread doesn't have Dakota Digital Gauge or at least it wasn't in their signature (best gauges available IMO) and they have no IDEA what the cylinder head temps are when riding their bike. I have been running the Dakota Digital Gauges for 3 year now and all your reading are correct. You will see the cylinder temps reach 270 normally and 300 is common on hotter days, oil temps on hot days can reach 260 (I have a HD oil cooler). Do not worry about the temp reading much I have seen cylinder temps up to 340 and oil temps above 260 and I have over 50,000 miles on my bike and it doesn't burn or leak oil and the bike runs GREAT.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you, ironmark.

Now I just need to dig out the instructions to set the warning temp for the oil gauge.

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
It is not hard to reset the setting on the gauges. I set the upper limit on the oil gauge at 250. I always run the gauges to read the cylinder head temps, doing this help you understand the way the engine runs and produces friction and combustion heat and how it affects the oil temps. It may take some time for you to evaluate on what the readings are telling you but once you get the hang of it everything will come together. If the engine temps get over 340 I will shut the engine down, my engine temps only got this high when stuck in a traffic jam.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Everyone that answered your question to this thread doesn't have Dakota Digital Gauge or at least it wasn't in their signature (best gauges available IMO) and they have no IDEA what the cylinder head temps are when riding their bike. I have been running the Dakota Digital Gauges for 3 year now and all your reading are correct. You will see the cylinder temps reach 270 normally and 300 is common on hotter days, oil temps on hot days can reach 260 (I have a HD oil cooler). Do not worry about the temp reading much I have seen cylinder temps up to 340 and oil temps above 260 and I have over 50,000 miles on my bike and it doesn't burn or leak oil and the bike runs GREAT.
No dakota digital but tts with monitor which shows not only cht but intake temp.

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
No dakota digital but tts with monitor which shows not only cht but intake temp.
Intake temps are not cylinder head temps. Cylinder head temps are taken from the temp sensor located at the rear of the front cylinder, this is the same sensor the will activate the EITMS on the bike.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Intake temps are not cylinder head temps. Cylinder head temps are taken from the temp sensor located at the rear of the front cylinder, this is the same sensor the will activate the EITMS on the bike.
no shit, the tts measures cht from the front ch sensor, as well as intake temps from the intake temp sensor.

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
no shit, the tts measures cht from the front ch sensor, as well as intake temps from the intake temp sensor.
Well sense I don't' have the luxury of having a TTS why don't you take the time to explain on the function of the TTS and the gauges that I need to install to get the constant readings while I am riding.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Having never had a temp gauge for either, I used to ride, blissfully unaware of either important bits of information. Now, I've got Dakota Digital gauges that show both.

The oil temp gauge can be set to flash when it gets too high; the default is 230°. On longer rides it gets into the mid 230s, and during a slow parade-like ride a few weeks ago, it hit 245°. Should I be concerned, or is the default conservatively low?

IIRC, the EITMS kicks in at 300° head temp. What temp is cause for alarm?
Over Memorial Day weekend I was pulling a trailer at 75 MPH with temps around 90 and my oil temp ran 245. Normal is typically 230-ish.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Well sense I don't' have the luxury of having a TTS why don't you take the time to explain on the function of the TTS and the gauges that I need to install to get the constant readings while I am riding.
I use my TTS to data log and use a double sight 7" monitor and it shows CHT, Intake temps, spark advance, lambda (afr) yada yada. I guess my original point was that some of us know what our cht as well as many other vital parameters are without dakota digital.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts