Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been happening since two years ago when local HD changed my oil. However last year I had to put on an add-a-trike so I could ride it during my chemo treatments. My extended warrenty ran out so now I am planning on doing the next oil change myself.
I have an arlen ness big air kit on it and am wondering if maybe a dirty filter could be causing it to draw oil into the carb and farther into the filter.

On a second note, the book says check the oil while on the kickstand, I can't put it on the kickstand because of the trike kit, so how can I guess how much oil I need?

Thanks for any help.... I want to change the fluids before I sell it, but don't want to have to take it to dealer to service it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
07Roadie, it is normal to have oil in the air filter, to meet EPA standards, Harley vents the crankcase pressure to the air filter so the suspended oil will get sucked into the combustion chamber and burned instead of venting to outside air. You should have two graduations on the oil dipstick one for on the jiffy stand and one with the bike level, so you can accurately check the oil with the bike in either attitude. I personally do not fill past the halfway mark on the dipstick, this helps with the oil build up in the air filter area. To clarify the crankcase builds up pressure due to the pumping motion from the pistons, at the same time oil is being sloshed around in the same area and being whipped around by the crank and rods, which some gets turned into vapor droplets, at the same same time the intake is creating a vacuum which aids in bringing the crankcase pressure up to the intake to be mixed with the incoming air and then sent to the combustion chamber and burned. All combustion engines use this design or very close to the same design to eliminate crankcase pressure. Sorry for the long post!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sorry 07Roadie to answer you main question, the oil droplets that are being drawn from the crankcase is what you are seeing in your air filter. The hoses that are on the back side of your air filter are ported to the crankcase to bleed off the pressure. If you fill your oil level to the full mark you will have oil build up on the filter and filter area, like I said this is normal, if you fill slightly less than the full mark but higher than half way on the dipstick this will reduce the amount of oil in the filter area. Sorry again for the 2 part post, I promise to quit after this, lol

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, thought it was a dirty filter, was going to order a "back to original" air filter kit. My worries were I guess unfounded then, thanks tons.

·
Registered
45 Posts
07Roadie, look at post Leaking Oil Problem in this thread, the problem you are having, or lack of, is discussed pretty clearly in this post. Glad I was able to help.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Sorry 07Roadie to answer you main question, the oil droplets that are being drawn from the crankcase is what you are seeing in your air filter. The hoses that are on the back side of your air filter are ported to the crankcase to bleed off the pressure. If you fill your oil level to the full mark you will have oil build up on the filter and filter area, like I said this is normal, if you fill slightly less than the full mark but higher than half way on the dipstick this will reduce the amount of oil in the filter area. Sorry again for the 2 part post, I promise to quit after this, lol
Glen66, your post should be made into a Sticky!:D Its by far the best explanation of the oil breather operation I have seen so far.

I'm Just Sayin'!

Scoop

·
Registered
654 Posts
Thanks Glenn66. I just filled my 2006 up to the Full Line. I think I will drain off a little to avoid the nuisance of oil in the air filter. Good info.

·
Registered
6,528 Posts
On the 2007 and later RG there are no rubber hoses for the crankcase vent that are in the back of the air cleaner housing. The crankcase vents through the top mounting bolts on the air cleaner housing. The top mounting bolts are hollow and the crankcase vents through the hollow bolts directly into the air cleaner. The oil in the air filter is a direct result of the engine being overfilled with oil, even though the manual say that the engine oil capacity is 4 qts of oil you should only add 3 1/2 qts when doing a oil change because when doing a oil change not all of the oil drains from the engine. If you are not sure of the dipstick reading the best way to make sure the correct amount of oil is in the engine is to only add 3 1/2 qts of oil when doing a oil change then read the dipstick.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Yep = "Blow-by"',... Drop the fill line down and yes this should be A sticky.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Lets take this a step further. How long until the oil stops dripping from the breather? I overfilled (yup stupid me) and kept wiping up. Got tired of cleaning up and changed the oil, filled with 3.5 qts. I still have oil blow by.

Does it take a while for the residual oil in the breather tubes to "empty"?

·
Registered
6,528 Posts
Lets take this a step further. How long until the oil stops dripping from the breather? I overfilled (yup stupid me) and kept wiping up. Got tired of cleaning up and changed the oil, filled with 3.5 qts. I still have oil blow by.

Does it take a while for the residual oil in the breather tubes to "empty"?
Take off the air cleaner cover and wipe it and if you have a K&N air filter you may want to clean it and re-oil it. The crankcase is alway going to vent but the main reason for the oil to drip out of the air cleaner besides of overfilling the engine oil is running the bike at higher rpms for a longer periods of time such as freeway riding. Dropping the oil level down helps to keep excess oil from expelling from the crankcase vent but you may still get some oil. Just run the bike and see if the oil stops seeping then next time you change the oil put in a little less oil like 3 1/3 qts.

·
Registered
158 Posts
There are return orifices that allow the oil to go back to the crank case. In some bikes, more oil is pumped into the air cleaner area than the return orifices can handle. I think there are larger orifices available or the existing ones can be drilled out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts