Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
amsoil syn in engine,syn trans fluid in trans,and trying syn atf in primary,but switching primary oil back.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I was given that advice from more than a half a dozen mechanics. It has something to do with the friction wear. They all use synthetic in the other ones but not for the primary. I took their advice.

Sent from my MB860 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
355 Posts
I know, they all said it had to do with the clutch plates and change it out every 5000 miles and you will get the longest life and performance out of them.

Sent from my MB860 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I used to use S3 in all 3, put prefer the way the clutch and tranny feel with Formula + in them, so now I just use S3 or just plain Dino in the crankcase. Also used to do the S3 in all 3, so that I only had to carry one spare quart for everything. After 25k miles and never having to top off anything between oil changes, I quit carrying extra oil.

Jeff

·
Registered
520 Posts
I do change all 3 every 5k though...my parts guys think I am wasting my money...heck it is my money right and they do make a commission.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Engine = Amsoil 20/50
Trans = Amsoil 75/140
Primary = Type F ATF

I've been told over and over again NO synthetic in the primary. The only job of the oil is to keep the clutch plates cool. Synthetic is built to create less friction. There are clutch plates in there. Follow along now, less friction on your clutch plates equal....?

When in doubt, ask some independent shops who build and race Harley's. You'll find a lot of knowledge there.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I was just having this conversation with my friend who teaches engine theory and he is also a great mechanic who works for a Nationally known racing shop. If HD recommends a type of oil, weather it's synthetic or not, I should use it. MoCo warranties their bikes for 2 years. Many people buy extended warranties. MoCo would not be recommending bad products if they have to stand behind them. It's fine to use your preferred product but there's nothing wrong with using the products that HD recommends.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Mobil 1 20w50 V-twin oil in the engine and primary and Mobil 1 75w140 gear lube in the trans. Been running Mobil 1 products in this bike for 4 1/2 years and no problems even with the clutch.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I have always run HD 20w-50 (I use to make the stuff and got it for free) in all three of my bike. Making the switch to Synth finally and that's just because I ran out of my stock pile. I emailed red line and here is there reply.

Thank you for contacting Red Line Oil, in your Harley Davidson Twin Cam the 20W50 Motorcycle Oil would be recommended, before switching over to our oil it is recommended to allow 1500 to 2000 miles for the rings to seat. In the primary the V-Twin Primary Case Oil would be recommended, also packaged as MTL and the V-Twin Transmission Oil in the transmission also packaged as ShockProof Heavy.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Age old arguement that no one will "win".

Amsoil, all 3 for me.

Clutch doesn't slip but hard to argue the logic.

Only tranny I personally have seen fail, at relatively low mileage, had Redline in it its whole life. Plus, the chit stinks like azz! :D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts