Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys new here and unfortunately have a problem with my 2017 RG m8. I’ve noticed a small oil leak above my transmission. As from what ive done so far, i changed the o-ring and dump tube, and noticed that the oem hose clamp was loose so i threw on a worm style clamp and with no luck the leak slowly came back after a 600mile trip. The bike does have 4300mi on it now and was wondering if you guys have experienced anything like this before. I was also looking to getting a vented dip stick from feuling in hopes of bringing down the pressure in the oil pan as that may be the culprit. Thanks in advance guys!

Attachments

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Hey guys new here and unfortunately have a problem with my 2017 RG m8. I’ve noticed a small oil leak above my transmission. As from what ive done so far, i changed the o-ring and dump tube, and noticed that the oem hose clamp was loose so i threw on a worm style clamp and with no luck the leak slowly came back after a 600mile trip. The bike does have 4300mi on it now and was wondering if you guys have experienced anything like this before. I was also looking to getting a vented dip stick from feuling in hopes of bringing down the pressure in the oil pan as that may be the culprit. Thanks in advance guys!
Are you sure it's coming from the hose and not the gasket under the fitting ? I wouldn't mess with psi on an m8. Sumping is a known problem with them.

Welcome to the forum.

Reactions: dbell66253

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Clean it off, ride it some, and check it again. Looks to me like its coming from the fitting. Bolt is probably loose. There is an O ring on that fitting.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Clean it off, ride it some, and check it again. Looks to me like its coming from the fitting. Bolt is probably loose. There is an O ring on that fitting.
I was going to say the same thing as above.

I'm sure it's something very simple.

Welcome to the forum newbie.

From Texas

Swomack

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys thanks for the reply! Yes I have cleaned it off a couple times and it comes back. I have changed the o-ring once so i know i got the bolt tight. The rubber hose is dry and i can see a little bit of oil between the trans housing and that tube but unfortunately ive replaced it already and thats why im lost!! I did notice if i leave my oil cap a bit loose the oil doesnt leak anymore and thats why i considered getting the feuling vented dip stick

·
Registered
408 Posts
I am having a similar issue with my 17 RGS. I clean it off and when I come back from a ride there’s fluid... Did you ever figure it out?
I noticed some oil residue on the rear cylinder bottom exhaust bolt. I took it in and the technician just replaced a clamp. I hope yours is only that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I hope it’s not the head gasket... Looks I will be taking to the stealership this afternoon to see what they are going to do about it. I will let you all know what I find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3 Posts
Update: I got a call from the stealership today. Their tech found that the leak was coming from the rear head gasket. Luckily for me there is a 90 day warranty on it so it won’t cost me a dime. Unfortunately I am off all week but I won’t have my bike back until Thursday afternoon.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Update: I got a call from the stealership today. Their tech found that the leak was coming from the rear head gasket. Luckily for me there is a 90 day warranty on it so it won’t cost me a dime. Unfortunately I am off all week but I won’t have my bike back until Thursday afternoon.

Good news they found the issue and you can now get it fixed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts