Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a Arlen Ness Big Sucker on my 2017 RGS and noticed on long rides I'll get oil all down the side of my bike at the end of the day. When I changed the oil I left it about 3/4 qt shy of full to see if they would help. It didn't, so I emailed Arlen about it and they said its blow by and there's nothing they could do? I don't disagree its blow by but it does seem a bit much for it. Anyone else experiencing this or have an clue what else it could be. I still yet to call the dealer about it.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
it's crankcase breathing at its finest. that oil has to go somewhere.

check the factory setup and you'll find that HD runs it back into the intake...

you could run a line with a one-way (pcv) valve to the back of the bike if you want.

just make sure it's not getting on the rear tire or you'll be slippin' and a slidin'

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
I recently installed a Arlen Ness Big Sucker on my 2017 RGS and noticed on long rides I'll get oil all down the side of my bike at the end of the day. When I changed the oil I left it about 3/4 qt shy of full to see if they would help. It didn't, so I emailed Arlen about it and they said its blow by and there's nothing they could do? I don't disagree its blow by but it does seem a bit much for it. Anyone else experiencing this or have an clue what else it could be. I still yet to call the dealer about it.

Matthew04833 might want to feel out your dealer on warranty before you take that ride. There is another string by a member here somewhere that had similar issues and warranty issues because of non HD parts. I think this is a dealer to dealer type of call but might be worth sticking your toe in the water before jumping in.

Just saying

·
Super Moderator
1,814 Posts
I would still add a little more oil into you sump, 3/4 of a quart is a little "too under". The blow by happens especially on longer interstate trips where the motor runs at constant rpms for long periods. There have been a couple fixes proposed, one guy even put a "feminine pad" into the bottom of the air cleaner cover to "soak up" the oil, changed it daily. Not a great fix in my opinion but stopped the flow of oil onto his pant legs, saddlebag and side cover. While not the most manly of things to do, it is probably the cleanest and less intrusive fix that I have heard about. Others have used hose to drain away the oil to the ground, right in front of their rear tire, not a lot of oil all at once but still not a great practise. Others have rigged catch cans to hold the drips.

Seems to be a flaw in the Arlen Ness design that doesn't allow the oil to go back into the intake to be burned up in combustion. I had that same problem on an Arlen Ness Big Sucker II that I ran on my 08. Finally took it off, I could smell the oil it was that bad.

Heed the warning others have given regarding contacting your dealer about your M8 issues. The MOCO mothership is on their dealers like ugly on a moose about changes to the power train that are not authorized or that are not Harley parts. They could flag your bike for power train warranty and then you have a fight on your hands. They are looking for any excuse to void warranty these days it seems (this is my opinion and not a proven fact).

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
50 Posts
me too

I had it on my Roadglide M8 also. stage I, headers, tts tuner, K&N high flow filter. blew oil like a siv. dealer replaced the valves in the rocker boxes, helped. I now have an RGU that is stock, no oil blow by. very happy.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Sounds like these aftermarket intake guys haven't learned how to make an intake for the M8 yet. Haven't read any issues with Harley Genuine parts yet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. After reading them, I've decided to just change out the intake and go with the S/E one. Especially regarding the warranty aspect of it. Live and learn eh?

·
Registered
194 Posts
I had one on my 103 Street Glide 18,000 Miles No Problem,I now Have one on my 18 RGS NO Problems.These Big Suckers Dyno Very well,To bad you guys are Having these problems.My Dyno Shop has always run these.My bikes have always run very Strong.

·
Premium Member
3,038 Posts
I had blow by issues on my 14 Street glide (Stage 1). I now have a 17 RGS with ventilator air cleaner. No issues.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I had one on my 103 Street Glide 18,000 Miles No Problem,I now Have one on my 18 RGS NO Problems.These Big Suckers Dyno Very well,To bad you guys are Having these problems.My Dyno Shop has always run these.My bikes have always run very Strong.
I've had a long nosed SE BS on my 96" 10 for years and never seen a drop of oil come out of it. But I'm not really sure we're an apples to apples comparison ... This may be more of an M8 thing than a BS thing..

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
I have the SE Ventilator on my 17 RGS and have had no issues. I also almost never hit the superslab, don't know if that's a factor or not.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I installed the Arlen Ness big sucker over the winter too instead of going with the SE intake. Thats what I get for trying to save a little coin. Oil all over my bags. When I installed it, it seemed strange how there where no breather lines. It just seems like an odd design compared to the Vance and Hines naked O2 I had on my twin cam Street Glide which never gave me any issues. I just ordered the SE genuine intake. Tired of cleaning the oil off my bike. As another poster said; live and learn. Since I have the extended warranty I am sticking with official MOCO parts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem yesterday after a 3 hr 80 mph ride. 2018 ultra with a fuel moto 120 kit and an AN big sucker breather. Dripped onto exhaust and wifes right foot.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I Only Run 4qts an 8 oz. No more On really hot days 90 An running hard I get some Blow by with the Big Sucker,Oil level is Critacal on these M8s,Do not overfill some guys only run 4 qts.I recently Got A DIY Breather From DK Customs,Some Guys Have Made there own.Was $49.95 an $10 for Drill An Tap So $60The Instructions are good An easy job,You Can Hide every thing An solves The Oil problem in Any Air Cleaner,No more Oil drip or oil on Saddle Bag,A good inexpensive Product that works.

Reactions: RJ111 and RGKen

·
Registered
6,545 Posts
Its not an Arlen thing....its a HD thing as I have the same on my M8 right now - Not so much on Super Slabs but on "Spirited Riding" or extremely hot days......my right saddle bag gets freckled by oil out of the Intake....which is a HD Intake....but not the stock HD Intake......sucks but what can ya do? Price to pay when you tinker with the Stock Set Up I guess

I am running this Intake

https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/screamin-eagle-extreme-flow-air-cleaner

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Thanks for the replies. After reading them, I've decided to just change out the intake and go with the S/E one. Especially regarding the warranty aspect of it. Live and learn eh?
First thing... If anyone has a dealership that would void ANY part of your warranty over a quality aftermarket A/C then they need to find a new dealership. Providing the A/C is installed correctly. If not, well then you're on your own.

As far as blow by goes, they all do it and it is up to the design of the backing plate on how it routes the oil. Keeping the oil level no more than halfway up the grid section can help. If I remember correctly the AN Big Sucker only has a couple of small breather hole right near the entrance of the intake with a ridge just below them to try and direct any oil towards the intake. The problem is that a little too much oil can run over that ridge and down to the bottom of the filter and eventually seep through the filter and drip outside. The fix if you wanted to keep this A/C is to run external breathers as it would clean up your issue as well as keeping the engine from having to burn up the blow-by. The reason a lot of other people say they don't have any issues with a SE or other types of A/C's is that they have a better design to direct the blow-by into the intake. Plus all engines are different, some do it more than others. I use the Arlen Ness Black Method A/C and the back plate has rubber breather fixtures that route the blow-by further into the intake which help keep it from having and chance of leaking down to the bottom. Also if oil does drain down it has a half cup piece that is just below the intake that would catch the oil keeping it from reaching the filter.

Oil is a hydro-carbon and is easily burned up during combustion and isn't a real issue unless it is excessive. It's done for EPA reasons to help protect the environment. :rolleyes:
From your description I would guess that yours might be and I would strongly suggest you do the external breathers no matter what A/C you decide to run. There are plenty of threads on this forum on how to do it as well as a few YouTube videos.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
I've had a long nosed SE BS on my 96" 10 for years and never seen a drop of oil come out of it. But I'm not really sure we're an apples to apples comparison ... This may be more of an M8 thing than a BS thing..
Has nothing to do with M8 or TC. With your A/C there is no way the oil is going to travel up stream to get to the filter element. Any blow-by yours may have will go directly into the intake or just sit in the elbow section. The OP's BS is not the elbow design yours is.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have the same problem on my 2016 RG (not an M8) with the Screaming Eagle AC. Really frustrating and has been that way since I bought the bike new 3 years ago. I have heard that some companies make an add-on to help with this. Anyone know anything about aftermarket ad-ons to prevent the blow-by?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Arlen Ness came out with an upgrade to the back plate. Just got mine free of charge in the mail.
New design I guess for the M8

1 - 20 of 21 Posts