Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been leaking a decent amount of oil so I got everything cleaned up to try to pinpoint the source.

Not sure what to think of this, I'm not sure if this is cracked for just the way it is put together. Can someone confirm?

Wondering if I can try to jam some permatex in there but Im guessing the cases will have to be split and re sealed. Looks as if there is a white sealer that bonds the cases together.

Here's a pic, let me know what you think:

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sure that's not left over from and oil filter change? Looks like it's more to the bolt hed side than where the case halves join?
I checked the oil filter and the stator plug, seems to be dry. When I rui it again tomorrow I will stuff some paper towels in that area to know for sure.

Decided to loosen the top bolt and spray the gap in question with the permatex copper spray a gasket & sealer spray hopefully it fill in in the nooks and crannys. I will hit it again with permatex hightemp rtv sealer and see what happens.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
There is a sealer that they use at the factory when assembling the cases you may try some dye then check it with a black light.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE:

Im pretty sure I've pinpointed it to the stator plug. Since I coated it again with RTV, the leak has been dramatically reduced, but there is still some leaking. With less of a mess, it's more obvious of the source, it now only appears to be a small spot at the bottom side of the plug.

I cleaned everything off again, and cleaned it, and cleaned it, and cleaned it. Used a new rag each time I doused it with brake clean to wipe so I had no chance of contaminating it with the rag. I resealed it with the permatex high temp RTV. Fingers crossed. I am going to let it set up and dry for 24+ hours befor I test it again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.