Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice oil spots under my bike it seems to come from the drain plug. I know people tell me the whole it's a harley I suppose to leak crap. Wanting to know if this has happened to anyone and what to do to stop it.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
355 Posts
Drain your oil and replace the o ring and change it at every oil change.

Sent from my MB860 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Mine had the same symptoms but it was actually coming from where the right exhaust attached the case. The bolts were only finger tight.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I notice oil spots under my bike it seems to come from the drain plug. I know people tell me the whole it's a harley I suppose to leak crap. Wanting to know if this has happened to anyone and what to do to stop it.

Do not think a leaking HD is normal! This is not the AMF days when that was kinda expected.

Funny thing though, lots of non Harley owners still think our bikes leak like a sieve and I am more than ready to correct them!

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Check and make sure it is not coming from your timing chain cover when bike is on jiffy stand oil wants travel from cover and drip off plug.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
As an added safety measure when I change my fluids aside from a new o-ring I also put a dab of pipe thread sealant on the screw/bolt on the threads.

FM

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
As an added safety measure when I change my fluids aside from a new o-ring I also put a dab of pipe thread sealant on the screw/bolt on the threads.

FM
+1 I use blue monster teflon tape it is the best thread sealer going they make it in a dope also. Never have had a gas leak when putting pipe togeather

·
Registered
355 Posts
I use a dab of the teflon made by permatex a thread sealant

Sent from my MB860 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
354 Posts

I have the same problem, but can't seem to find the leak. It doesn't leak all of the time and I don't think it leaks when the bike is running. I've cleaned the entire motor and run it in the garage for half an hour with no leak. Take it out and run the crap out of the bike and check, no leak. The next morning a drop or two on the floor. It's not tranny oil because I use Red Line, which is a different color. The leak has not noticeably affected the fluid levels for the past 3k miles. I'll keep looking and check the exhaust bracket bolts.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I had a leak that was driving me crazy trying to track down. I cleaned the motor several times and tighten every nut and bolt I could lay a wrench on. I even pulled the cover off and checked the bolts that hold the two halves of the engine together.

The problem was it was a very small leak on the inside /underside of where the wires come from the stator to the voltage regulator. There is a lip there about 1/2 cm from the wires so you can't really get in there to look at it.

Anyway, it would leak and the wind would blow it back under the engine so any low point in the engine looked like it may be the culprit as that is were it would drip from. Sometime near the front, sometimes near the back.

Easy fix, PITA to find!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
723 Posts
The leak is in the front of the motor just behind the jiffy stand

My money is on blow-back and it is further forward than you think. Check around the wires from the stator to the voltage regulator. It is suppose to be an "O" ring type seal that sometimes gets loose. Actually a fairly common problem. Enough so that HD redesigned the plug.
Mine started when I gave the engine a good cleaning and wiggled the wires a bit.

The newer models have a different type of plug/seal but same principle. I was able to fix mine by disconnecting the voltage regulator then pull the wires slightly and slide an "O" ring back up the wires and over the seal. I tend to over do so I place 2 O rings and then sealed it with black Permatex.

P

·
0 Posts
GUNK it off real good,and really keep your eye on it.its kinda hard to tell where leaks come from when the oil gets blown around. i use a floresent dye & black light.ill get the name off the stuff when i get in the shop tomorow if you want

·
Registered
723 Posts
GUNK it off real good,and really keep your eye on it.its kinda hard to tell where leaks come from when the oil gets blown around. i use a floresent dye & black light.ill get the name off the stuff when i get in the shop tomorow if you want
Cant think of the name of the stuff either but you can buy it at any autoparts store. They may have it in the back. Be careful pouring it in as the bottle is slightly smaller than the oil fill hole on the HD and the stuff is slippery. Don't ask how I know this....:eek:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have an idea of what your talking about what's a good degreaser to use?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Autozone has it. Dye Tracer, red and green. Put a little of each color in different holes. And ride it and get her hot and break out the black light,

1 - 20 of 20 Posts