Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I had an oil leak for the last couple of months and the bike has been looked at by the dealer 3 times each time they think they've fixed it. Anyway not sure what to do next, may take to an independent next to see what he says. It did start after a new starter was installed but apparently they have looked and repaired that seal. I'll post a photo- any input woul be helpful.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
what color is the oil,what brand of trans fluid are you running,could be a main shaft seal leaking

·
Registered
505 Posts
Thoroughly clean the inner/outer primary and everything else under there. Buy a can of spray-on baby powder and spray it on all the suspect areas, then go for a decent ride. When you get home, a good look with a flashlight should tell you where it's coming from.

·
Super Moderator
4,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thoroughly clean the inner/outer primary and everything else under there. Buy a can of spray-on baby powder and go for a decent ride. When you get home, a good look with a flashlight should tell you where it's coming from.
Will give that a shot. Thanks

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
It probably coming off the shifter shaft seal or tranny main shaft seal. It will run down the back of the primary so that it seems like it's the primary but rarely is it from there. Seen this many many times.

·
Super Moderator
4,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It probably coming off the shifter shaft seal or tranny main shaft seal. It will run down the back of the primary so that it seems like it's the primary but rarely is it from there. Seen this many many times.
Thanks will look at that!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Thoroughly clean the inner/outer primary and everything else under there. Buy a can of spray-on baby powder and spray it on all the suspect areas, then go for a decent ride. When you get home, a good look with a flashlight should tell you where it's coming from.
Smartest idea I have heard in a long time.

·
Super Moderator
4,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's an up date.

Dropped the bike off at Gary williams. He's a top engine guy in the south here.

He's saying it is definitely primary fluid and he's thinking it may be a starter seal. Even though HD had replaced the starter seal he's saying that often times he has to use a metric seal in the HD engine.

We are waiting for the ESP people to come and approve the fix. Apparently the ESP people now have to send an adjuster out to approve ESP fixes.

Can you believe it !

·
Registered
339 Posts
E s p

Here's an up date.

Dropped the bike off at Gary williams. He's a top engine guy in the south here.

He's saying it is definitely primary fluid and he's thinking it may be a starter seal. Even though HD had replaced the starter seal he's saying that often times he has to use a metric seal in the HD engine.

We are waiting for the ESP people to come and approve the fix. Apparently the ESP people now have to send an adjuster out to approve ESP fixes.

Can you believe it !

The E S P people should be changed to the A S S people good luck

·
Registered
7,567 Posts
That's why I steer clear of the Stealer.
When I need something repaired that I can't fix myself I will only use a friend who is a reputable Indy!
Mike U.

·
Super Moderator
4,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And the guys that see that bike and it's problem can't figure that out????

Nice.

Congrats
Well it's strange because the dealer said they had replaced it too .

But Gary did tell me that sometimes he had to use a metric O ring because sometime the others do not seal properly! He also said that sometimes
The case is not machined properly!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Where is the starter O-ring located? Asking because i had the same problem took in to the dealer and they said it was the O-ring and that they replaced it. im still leaking and want to check to see if its that!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts