Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used the HD Oil Level/Temp dipstick with lighted LCD readout P/N: 63030-09 for checking their oil? Looks like it would be nice to use during trips for when the bike's oil is at normal temps.

IF so, how did you like it
Thanks

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Has anyone used the HD Oil Level/Temp dipstick with lighted LCD readout P/N: 63030-09 for checking their oil? Looks like it would be nice to use during trips for when the bike's oil is at normal temps.

Thanks

I started to buy one once and a friend talked me out of it. Said he had owned 3 of them and they all stopped working in a fairly short period of time. Talked to another friend that had one and he said virtually the same thing so I spent my money on more useful things like whiskey.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
12,295 Posts
I had one. IMO it cost too much and is too fragile, mine lasted about 2 years, but the display started going bad after just one year.

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All, thanks for the replies, I will just keep checking it the old fashion way.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I started to buy one once and a friend talked me out of it. Said he had owned 3 of them and they all stopped working in a fairly short period of time. Talked to another friend that had one and he said virtually the same thing so I spent my money on more useful things like whiskey.

Yep. Great tool but fades fast.
Put a real oil temp gauge in the pan.

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I appreciate all the replies, sometimes technology is not a good as the old fashion way.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've used them on my last 2 bikes with good results. I do live in Colorado and most of my riding is in the western states. It's a more arid environment. That may have something to do with my success with them.

·
Registered
101 Posts

Thanks
I bought one seven years ago. It still works and I like it.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Short lived

Not worth the money, horsepower and torque are better expenditures.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Got one for the 05 and one for the 09, they lasted about a year...

·
Registered
185 Posts
I had one of the older style dipsticks that just read oil temperature on my 03 Road King. The display started to fade after 3 years. I complained to my HD parts man and he told me to change the battery. WHAT, I didn't know you could change the battery or how to access it. The service dept. changed the battery for me when other work was done but they said you just pull the chrome trim off to access the compartment. The replaced battery lasted 8 years and had just started to dim a little when I traded the bike. I don't know if the new style dipstick has a changeable battery but I would think it did. With all that said, I did use the display frequently in the beginning because the new 03 bike was really lean running and hot as hell. I put a Jagg oil cooler and a Thundermax ECM on the bike and it never ran hotter than 205 degrees under any conditions. That resulted in not having to check the oil temp. anywhere near as often, which is why the second battery lasted so long. I also agree that the new dipstick cost too much.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts