Road Glide banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 Road Glide with about 30K. Mostly stock...

Started her up Sunday and the Check Oil Light came on and stayed on. No weird noises sounded fine. Shut her off immediately. Checked the oil and it was full.

Started her up again, the light came on again, but went out. When I gave it some throttle the light came back on. Released the throttle, light went out.

During that time the Oil Pressure Gauge on the fairing read zero.

Rode to the end of the drive, about 50 meters and the light went out, the gauge showed normal pressure.

Went a few miles, shut her off, restarted the pressure gauge showed normal pressure, no oil warning light. Stayed off.

Shut down again after about a 30 mile scoot, went to a meeting, came out an hour later the Check Oil light was on again, no reading on the gauge. rode about two blocks, light went out and gauge returned to normal pressure reading. Light stayed off the rest of the day of about 150 miles total, the Oil Pressure Gauge was normal.

An another thing...my left speaker is shorting out and my HD OEM head unit has cut out on me a couple of times. Would my Check Oil Light be effected by my fairing wiring or is their a different Check Oil Waring Light message sender?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have never taken the fairing off and am a bit timid to do so.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Any work done to it? Sounds like there might be a plug that is loose under the fairing or at the head of the dash. I am not a professional.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Check your oil pressure sensor wires. There are two wires that come off the sensor mounted on the front of the engine, sort of behind the rear brake master cylinder. I was having an issue with my oil light coming on while idling, but out during riding. Oil gauge showed pressure the whole time.

Issue was the wires were flopping around and shorting against the head pipes. It had melted through the insulation. I cleaned it up, insulated the wires again, and repositioned the wires so they were away from the pipes. Problem went away.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Play it safe and put a service gauge on it. See what the pressure actually is.

While the system uses one sender for the lamp and gauge, it's two separate circuits. And they seldom fail together.

While it could be anything, I would fear that a cam tensioner is failing that the pump has picked up some of the trash. If the rotors are chewed up, it will show as low pressure on the service gauge. If it was a piece of debris in the bypass valve, it will not.

A low pressure reading has me in the cam chest asap. And an 04 with 30k on the original tensioners is within the window for replacing them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts