Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do all you guys use for a pan to drain your oil into? I can't find one in my area that's short enough to fit under the bike while on the jiffy stand, and there's no way I'm paying what Harley wants for their low profile pan. What say you?

·
Registered
927 Posts
I use my J&S lift and a cheap seven dollar plastic oil drain pan, so wouldn't really know.

First thing that came to mind was those big disposable aluminum pans you see at the grocery store you roast turkeys in. You can easily bend it to fit under the bike. Don't know how sturdy it would be though, and you'd want one that holds at least 4 quarts or more. Also thought about a cake pan. I looked it up and a 14x10x2 inch cake pan holds 4 quarts, while a 9x13 pyrex pan holds 3 quarts. Not sure the 4 quart cake pan would be any easier to find either. The last two options will cost about half what the Harley pan costs, and it would be a PITA, plus the cake would taste like $hit.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
What do all you guys use for a pan to drain your oil into? I can't find one in my area that's short enough to fit under the bike while on the jiffy stand, and there's no way I'm paying what Harley wants for their low profile pan. What say you?
It is pricey, but man is it nice. Got mine with a gift card when the dealer was having a sale, I think it was on sale for $20. Well worth it IMO. If you position it just right you can have all 3 holes draining at the same time. I fiddle fart for about 10-15 minutes getting everything else staged and ready and let it drip.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
2" tall old cake pan. Works great at my buddies shop on his bike lift. Then you get to do the "oh shit shuffle" across his awesome shop trying not to spill oil. HAHA

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I've got a round low profile container with a large screw off lid & a drain plug on the side. I think that I got it at a big box auto parts store years ago.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I use the harley Low profile one. Won a gift basket from a rally I went to. Was a HD self service basket.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I cut the bottom off a 5 gallon bucket about 3" up. Works fine.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I got a Draper oil pan from an e-vendor. Great quality - paid about US $ 18.00 + shipping, whereas MoCo want US $ 30.00 + shipping for theirs. It's a no-brainer! :D

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
it maybe a little pricey, but seriously, it isn't like were talking hundreds of dollars here. $30 bucks. you'll spend that much taking the wife out to lunch. and once you have it, you'll be glad that you do. its nice to run the bike into the condor chock, slide the pan underneath, loosen the drain bolts and shazam! done......

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Plus whenever you need to take the primary cover off it is the perfect size for that. Yes it is $30 bucks for an oil drain container but it is the best design for our bikes that I have seen. I avoided it for a long time as well because of the price but once I used a friends I was convinced. I not only change my oil but I service several friends bikes so it was well worth the purchase. If I only changed my oil once a year I would probably still be using a plastic bed pan. :surprise:

·
Registered
967 Posts
Mine is old if memory don't fail bough it at Advance for under $15 holds 5 QT fits under with room to spare.
Shop around some items like this no need to go MOCO or HD dealers and pay premium bet will find oil trays that work well on Advance, Autozone or Walmart.
Good luck

·
Registered
110 Posts
Spend the money & buy the Harley drain pan. It works well, is easy to get under the bike. Using a shorter pan that is not positioned right may cause oil to splatter on the floor.

·
Registered
112 Posts
If you have an empty five quart oil container from a previous oil change lay it down and cut a hole around the label. Whaa laa, oil drain pan.

·
Registered
296 Posts
No offense to anyone, but this thread is kinda funny. Folks spending 20 large on motorcycles quibbling about 10 dollars on a drain pan. :-D
That is funny... lol. I bought a flat one (or so I thought) from Auto Zone, 8qt so I figured it would hold all three. It does, after you use something that fits under the bike.

Do you guys use a lift? I tried that but my old sore ass can't get to all the drain holes while its on the lift. Seems vertical would help the mess from the tranny. Maybe HDs center lift is the ticket?

On another note, I use a piece of 2x6 under the jiffy stand to get it on the Sears jack. It puts the bike near but not quite vertical and still stable... so maybe just that would work - a piece of wood!

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
To use the Sears lift on my RGS, I park the rear wheel on a 1/2" plywood & place the jiffy stand on a 1/2" or 3/4" block. I have to pull the bike up slightly to finish sliding the jack under. Works well.

·
Registered
296 Posts
To use the Sears lift on my RGS, I park the rear wheel on a 1/2" plywood & place the jiffy stand on a 1/2" or 3/4" block. I have to pull the bike up slightly to finish sliding the jack under. Works well.
I did similar at first until I realized it only takes a 2x6 on the jiffy to work.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts