Road Glide banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm experiencing a huge variance in oil pressure.
When the bike is cold it is around 32 steady. Then once I've been out cruising for a while, the oil pressure drops with rpm at an idle.
Once I take off from the light or whatever, pressure comes back up?

What could be causing the variance? I'd hate to hurt her....

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
At idle, oil pressure will drop to a very low level, like 5 to 8...... Don't worry.... it's normal. Running down the road your pressure should be around 32 or so. It varies from bike to bike. The gauge is not a precision instrument.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
What PGR is telling you is exactly right these engines are roller bearing rods,they dont need high oil pressure at an idle.

·
Registered
7,238 Posts
The previous posts pretty much hit the nail on the head. The important thing is that it's full and it does come up off of idle

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I'm experiencing a huge variance in oil pressure.
When the bike is cold it is around 32 steady. Then once I've been out cruising for a while, the oil pressure drops with rpm at an idle.
Once I take off from the light or whatever, pressure comes back up?

What could be causing the variance? I'd hate to hurt her....
To answer the question, as to what is causing the pressure to drop once it comes to full operating temp, is that the oil viscosity thins up under heat.
If it is moving around after fully warmed, then the oil pressure relief plunger is sticking in it's bore, and can be polished to stop it from occuring.
Scott

1 - 6 of 6 Posts