Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done a few searches and gotten some info, but I wanted to ask here for some opinions.

2013 FLRTU with 14K. I have what appears to be oil seeping from the center portion of the front cylinder on the front face between fins and extending part way around each side. I think it is too low to be a head gasket, and too high to be an O ring as the oil seems to be confined to the 5-6 fins.

I saw some posts about a porous cylinder, but I am not sure if this is what it could possibly be. Of course it is out of warranty so it's my problem, and I was wondering if anyone had any input or if it would hurt to run it and just keep cleaning up the mess.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. I was hoping that was all it was so I cleaned between the fins about 3 weeks ago. I was also hoping it may be off the oil cooler lines, so I made sure I cleaned them up as well.

It came back on the engine and the lines were still clean. There is also nothing on the frame down tubes or fender.

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
It may be possible that oil is getting in the air filter and then the air turbulence caused from riding may work the oil around to the front of the cylinder.
It doesn't look as if the cylinder base gasket is leaking and it is hard to tell if the rocker box or rocker cover gasket is leaking.
Just for the heck of it pull the air filter and see if there is oil in it.

Reactions: RGKen

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I'm not seeing any wetness running down the front of the motor. I have a hard time with the idea that it's coming through the side of the jug. I'm with Ironmark. Most likely coming from the air filter and turbulence is pushing it there. Don't fill your oil over the midway point on the stick and that should help.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is some oil in the breather. I did only fill it to the half way point on the dipstick but I'm still getting some oil out of the breather.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
It may be possible that oil is getting in the air filter and then the air turbulence caused from riding may work the oil around to the front of the cylinder.
It doesn't look as if the cylinder base gasket is leaking and it is hard to tell if the rocker box or rocker cover gasket is leaking.
Just for the heck of it pull the air filter and see if there is oil in it.
Good money, that this is it.
Scott

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had a 2013 CVO Road King I traded in last year. About a month after I traded it the Service Manager said that 1 of the cylinders was leaking mid way down. Ended up being the liner in the cylinder either cracked or came loose and oil was getting in between. They ended up replacing the jug.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts