Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After dismounting my 2003 RG when I arrived at work tonight I noticed oil had sprayed out over my saddlebags, tourpack, and the right side of the seats. I lost a considerable amount of oil over the 70 mile commute into work. I did stop for gas 30 miles in so the loss of oil occured during the last 40 miles. It appears to be comming from the behind the air cleaner cover but I won't be able to confirm that until I can get the correct allen wrench to remove the cover and air filter. Any ideas on what would have caused this? I've had no issues prior to tonight and have logged 2700+ miles since my last oil change.

·
Registered
809 Posts
After dismounting my 2003 RG when I arrived at work tonight I noticed oil had sprayed out over my saddlebags, tourpack, and the right side of the seats. I lost a considerable amount of oil over the 70 mile commute into work. I did stop for gas 30 miles in so the loss of oil occured during the last 40 miles. It appears to be comming from the behind the air cleaner cover but I won't be able to confirm that until I can get the correct allen wrench to remove the cover and air filter. Any ideas on what would have caused this? I've had no issues prior to tonight and have logged 2700+ miles since my last oil change.
It sounds like it puked oil out the head vents. The usual cause is running to much oil. I run mine with 3 1/2 to 3 3/4qts, any more then that I get a lot of blow by. Once you get it cleaned up, I would also keep an eye on the push rod tubes just to make sure one of the O-rings hasn't started leaking.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I lost a considerable amount of oil over the 70 mile commute into work.
did you verify this with an oil level check? usually blow by, while it looks like a ton of oil, is actually not that much. if you did in fact lose a 'considerable' amount, then you might have another issue going on as well.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
have logged 2700+ miles since my last oil change.[/QUOTE]

What did you come up with? After you get some coffee in you, of course

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
have logged 2700+ miles since my last oil change.
What did you come up with? After you get some coffee in you, of course[/QUOTE]

A friend with a Road King had a similar problem earlier this summer and he had to replace the gasket on the gear case cover timing bore. I left the bike at work and will take advantage of my H.O.G. membership to have it towed to a dealership on Monday.

·
Registered
169 Posts
im just gonna sit here and wait until somebody mentions the maxipad trick...:D

my 2001 was like Frankie said, I would run it about half a quart low and even then if I hauled ass for a good run like 80+ sustained for an hour or so:rolleyes: I would get mist out of the AC.

like alot of Harley issues you can throw money at it or take the easy route.

c'mon who is gonna bring up the Maxipad...:cool:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hi, I'm Roadglide 69 and I've used a maxipad with my 09 RG.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Damn things are absorbent!

·
Registered
331 Posts
On my 09 RG there was apparently two tech bulletins. One was an updated set of breather valves in the heads. The other was to drill two holes in each of the heads to let oil flow back down to the sump faster. Since I've had both of these done, no problems at all.
But yes, a maxipad does indeed reside in my airfilter cover. :p

BG

1 - 10 of 10 Posts