Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the first to admit, I am a moron, I know nothing about engines, and I am also fat. Okay, that is all done with.

I am attaching a couple of pictures of what I am seeing. Oil is apparently spraying out of my upgraded (Arlen Ness) air cleaner. I would like to know why and what can be done as I do not like being sprayed with oil and if my wife were on the bike when it happened.....well, I would not be typing this as I would not have the bike.

I did take it to Harley but was told to go away as it will NOT BE COVERED UNDER WARRANTY since I have a Arlen Ness air cleaner and Vance and Hines exhaust. Will be posting this in another thread.

Any advice, help, or just words of wisdom is greatly appreciated....about the bike....not that I am fat. :grin:

Attachments

Reactions: koryu2u

·
Registered
532 Posts
Most of the time I've heard this is due to having too much oil.

Find a new dealer. The right dealer will treat you right.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
M8 with a stage kit?

Blowing oil out the breather. If it's not the seal rings where the breather bolts up, then it needs to be brought to the MoCo's attention. The oil pumps are not holding up. And some are sumping badly.

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
It is usually caused by the oil being over filled.

When the motor is hot the oil will expand causing your issues.

Check the oil level and make sure theres not to much in there.

Swomack

·
Registered
1,351 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,839 Posts
Couple things to consider;

1. Too much oil in the sump. The oil capacity listed in the owner's manual and the service manual is for a dry motor. I don't care how careful you are or what type of suction you use, you will never drain all the oil out of a motor during an oil change on any vehicle. There are too many nooks and crannies for the old oil to hide in, even with a warm motor and old oil flowing out like thin hot maple syrup, some will be left behind. Best guess is between 1/4 to 1/2 of a quart (I work in metric so 250-500ml). When performing a "hot oil change" never ever put the full amount of oil back into the motor. Reduce that amount show in the operator and/or service manual by 1/2 quart to begin with. Start your motor, let it warm up to circulate the new oil, ride it even for a short distance say a mile or so and come back. Shut off the bike, park it on the jiffy stand, protect your hand and remove the dipstick and check the oil level. It will most likely be in the middle or bottom third of the "OK" zone shown on the dipstick. You will not be running under the required amount of oil. It is all there. Some of it is trapped in places that cannot be accessed easily

2. Bad breather bolt system. You will have to take off your air cleaner and inspect the breather bolts, remove them to inspect them. Clean them, make sure there are no blockages. Check the o rings, on some air cleaners there are two/bolt on others only 1 per bolt. Are the o-rings in good shape? Replace any that are flattened/cut/torn. Lastly apply a vacuum or suction to the breather bolt holes in the head, DO NOT BLOW AIR INTO THEM. Only apply mild vacuum to pull out any possible "clots". This is another area where oil can and will accumulate over time in those "nooks and crannies"

3. Oil quality and multiweight. I am sure you are using a quality oil, and I am sure you are using 20W50 multiweight oil. When you change oils on the road do you use the same brand of oil, do you use the same multiweight formulation? I hate to sound like a bad Quaker State advertisement but "not all oils are the same". Many dinosaur oils have different sources from different regions and formulations can change depending on where the oil was produced. All oils must pass testing but variations in formula can all pass the same tests. Most synthetic or chemically composed oils are made in one place, for the most part, therefore consistency is usually much better. Harley Syn 3 oil as well as Harley dinosaur oils are shopped around to the lowest bidder. Suppliers can change over time for their branded oil. Again all the oils meet the testing, but do they meet or exceed? My point here is be consistent, use the same oil brand all the time. You can change the multiweight formulation depending on the season and your type of riding but choose a reputable brand and stick with it. Many of us use an aftermarket synthetic oil that we trust, Redline, Royal Purple, Amsoil to name a few. I prefer to stay away from the common big brand oils such as Mobil 1, Castrol or Quaker State. They may make great oils but they are also diversified and have several locations/refineries/chemical plants that serve regions of North America. Their oils will meet the standardized testing but their formulation between plants can and often are tweaked depending on their source oil.

In conclusion, don't over fill the engine oil sump, in fact let it run in the lower portion of the checkered area on the dip stick. Maintain your air cleaner breather bolt system. Use a consistent high quality oil that meets and exceeds the requirements of your motor and change the oil often, with smaller than suggested intervals especially when touring longer distances and having your motor run at consistent rpms for long periods of time (interstate riding). Cheap oil is cheap, good oil is more money but oil is the blood of your motor, freshen the blood more often and it will pay off with a motor that lasts longer and runs stronger. If you cheat your motor, it will cheat you out of longevity.

Those are my thoughts and practice and not necessarily the thoughts and practice of anyone else but I have never had to replace a motor in any of the vehicles in my fleet. I run GM, Dodge, Jeep, Fiat, Ford, Honda, Arctic Cat and Harley Davidson among my personal and company vehicles.

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had Harley do the oil change and they used their synthetic. I checked the oil a few days ago and it was about a 1/2 Quart shy of full. (checked hot on jiffy stand)

I did the install on exhaust and air filter. This particular air filter blocks the holes where the breather bolts were so there is not supposed to be any leaking or runoff.

The bike does have the stage IV upgrade and the new sump was installed.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Did you completely block the vents or are they venting somewhere else? That crank case has to vent or oil is going to come out somewhere or your going to blow a seal or gasket.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've been going through this problem on my 17 Road Glide Special with Stage 2 build. All Harley parts, installed by dealer before I took delivery. Started at about 3k on the clock. Excessive amount of oil blow by saturating the air cleaner and dripping onto the rear header and saddlebag. This was just before a big road trip and the dealer tried to pass it off as normal, the result of idling too long on the jiffy stand or a long high speed run on the freeway. I had to restrain myself from throttling the service manager when he told me that gem. Four thousand mile road trip later, dripping oil the whole way, i brought it back to my dealer. While I was on the road trip I had another dealer check out the breathers and everything checked good.

Around 7k, under warranty, my dealer replaced the rear cylinder and rings after a poor leak down test. That didn't fix it so at about 10k they replaced the oil pump with a new upgraded version under warranty. Was told by the service manager at the time that HD was seeing this issue on Stage 3 and 4 builds due to the oil pump pushing too much oil into the sump?. That didn't fix it. Finally around 11k, the dealer disassembled and reassembled the breather bolts, replaced all the O-ring, and pressure checked the system. I'm at around 12.5k now and so far it seems to be holding. I'm not 100% convinced it's fixed because the other dealer had pressure checked the breathers around the 6k mark and they check good then. If it holds through the 15k service I might relax.

All the work was covered under the warranty but still, three separate fixes over the course of 11k miles on one of HD's new top of the line engines all for excessive blow by. I really wish I didn't like the bike as much as I do.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I had Harley do the oil change and they used their synthetic. I checked the oil a few days ago and it was about a 1/2 Quart shy of full. (checked hot on jiffy stand)

I did the install on exhaust and air filter. This particular air filter blocks the holes where the breather bolts were so there is not supposed to be any leaking or runoff.

The bike does have the stage IV upgrade and the new sump was installed.
How does it breath?

What air cleaner is it?

·
Registered
989 Posts
I've followed this thread along with your other one. Follow the advice given here as to oil level and air cleaner install/breathing. If the bike wasn't having blow by/ oil drip issues before, then I'd definitely double check the air cleaner installation and breather set up. If Harley already voided your warranty, you still have a few options. Put the stock a/c setup back on & see if that fixes the oil issue, or take it to an indy & pay out of pocket to have it fixed. It sounds as if the Arlen Ness a/c wasn't installed correctly. I'm not knocking your work, but there's nothing wrong with double checking it. We've all made mistakes and have overlooked simple things.

Lil Chief

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I am the first to admit, I am a moron, I know nothing about engines, and I am also fat. Okay, that is all done with.

I am attaching a couple of pictures of what I am seeing. Oil is apparently spraying out of my upgraded (Arlen Ness) air cleaner. I would like to know why and what can be done as I do not like being sprayed with oil and if my wife were on the bike when it happened.....well, I would not be typing this as I would not have the bike.

I did take it to Harley but was told to go away as it will NOT BE COVERED UNDER WARRANTY since I have a Arlen Ness air cleaner and Vance and Hines exhaust. Will be posting this in another thread.

Any advice, help, or just words of wisdom is greatly appreciated....about the bike....not that I am fat. :grin:
You’re going to need to return the factory parts to your scooter and visit a different dealer.

·
Registered
989 Posts
You’re going to need to return the factory parts to your scooter and visit a different dealer.

The OP wrote in his other thread that they (HD) have flagged his bike, and state that he voided the warranty. Whatever dealership he takes it to will check the VIN & will see this, so no warranty work will be done.
I'm sure they'd do whatever work is necessary at the regular hourly rate. The only time I've ever personally seen a bike get turned away is when some dude was travelling with the bike on a trailer and I happened to be at a local dealership. I heard him tell the service writer that the bike was a whatever year softail custom. He pulled the bike into the service area and it happened to be a big dog or bmc or soemthing to that effect, with a Revtech motor. They told him they wouldn't touch it & sent him down the road.

Lil Chief

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have had various aftermarket air cleaners on all my Harleys, most of which require the installation on a new mounting adapter. I keep the oil filled to about 250-300 cc less than full. This reduces the oil spray. In addition I take off the air cleaner and wipe off any oil on the intake area every 2500 miles. I have over 250,000 miles on Harleys doing this.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I ran my vents external to the ground instead of back into the throttle body, plus i drilled out the oil drain holes in the rocker plates and i have not had any problems since doing this. I do get a wet look at the end of the vent hose, but no oil dripping on the garage floor yet and i don't baby my bike. I'm not abusive but i do run it through the gears at times.

Reactions: eddienelson

·
Registered
188 Posts

You probably have a few options. Go back to HD's stock sealed AC set up, find a AC set up that has tubes coming off the breathers that face into the throttle body or go to HD's SE Heavy Breather. The SE Heavy Breather has sealed breathers and more of a ram air affect that forces blow by back into the motor.

OK, an I'll rant on K&N filters, there CRAP!!! If there was a stage 1 paper filter that fit your AC set up you wouldn't have blow by, they suck air just a little harder. Seems to be enough to curtail blow by.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts