Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took out the air temp and popped in the oil temp gauge from HD. Much better use of the lower left gauge housing!!! For anyone else making change, the air sensor module is in the speedo and tach housing, right between the two.

Found a nice spot for the air temp gauge too!

Attachments

·
Registered
999 Posts
HA!!!

Really? Right in the trash?? You don't think someone would want to buy that?!?!? ;)
Looks good and a much, much better use of that space.
How was the install?
How long did it take?
You didn't happen to take any pictures during the install did you?

HSP

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HSP it was pretty straightforward. I was messing around with HIDs and oil change at the same time so I can not say how long it took. Once the fairing is off just unplug the air temp gauge, twist the bezel and out it comes. On the oil pan, just to the right of the engine oil drain plug is another plug, remove that and place in the the one from the kit with the temp sensor. Hardest part is zip tying wire harness to frame so it looks nice (Big fingers, little spaces).

Here's a plug for the HD service manual. It is very handy to have. I was looking all over for the air temp sensor thinking it had to be some place other than in the speedo housing. But a check in the appendix for sensor locations and it tells you right there where to go.

As far as selling the air temp gauge, my conscious wouldn't allow me to benefit monetarily by continuing it's uselessness in this world. I'd rather encourage the buyer to just get the oil temp kit.

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried logging into Harley's site to get you a link but I was having trouble getting on. I believe it was around $150 for the kit.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Replacing a piece of equipment that has no practical value with one that actually indicates a reasonable estimation of a oil temperature sounds like one less thing to worry about. Just my opinion though.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Don't take it personal but the oil temp gauge is as worthless as the air temp gauge. Actually its probably even more worthless. The only thing it will do is cause you to stare at it and freak out when you see the temps, especially in the summer. Guess what it is in no way shape or form an indicator of how you engine is running. And. FYI oil temp isn't monitered by the ecm, that alone tells you how meaningless it is.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Don't take it personal but the oil temp gauge is as worthless as the air temp gauge. Actually its probably even more worthless. The only thing it will do is cause you to stare at it and freak out when you see the temps, especially in the summer. Guess what it is in no way shape or form an indicator of how you engine is running. And. FYI oil temp isn't monitered by the ecm, that alone tells you how meaningless it is.

That just doesn't make "sence".

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
That just doesn't make "sence".
It may not make sence to you but it is what it is. In fact even on most cars and trucks, both gas ans diesel, the ecms do not monitor engine oil temp. Yes, I know our beloved twin cams are air cooled but look if you like there is no oil temp sensor. Oh and I have over 30 years as a heavy equipment technician so I do know a little about what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
It may not make sence to you but it is what it is. In fact even on most cars and trucks, both gas ans diesel, the ecms do not monitor engine oil temp. Yes, I know our beloved twin cams are air cooled but look if you like there is no oil temp sensor. Oh and I have over 30 years as a heavy equipment technician so I do know a little about what I'm talking about.
I doubt any engine with a raditor ever approaches the oil temps that our vtwin engines get to. Fortuneately modern synthetic oils can withstand pretty high temps before turing to vapor and/or breaking down. I do have to say tho I always had an oil temp gauge on my 04 egc and just recently bought a dipstick temp gauge for my 2011 RGU and it does give me warm and fuzzy feelings lol. I tested the accuracy of the dipstick temp gauge and in is suprisingly spot on. Nice thing about the dipstick gauge is you can not look at it while you drive so it is not a distraction like the fairing mounted one lol.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I doubt any engine with a raditor ever approaches the oil temps that our vtwin engines get to. Fortuneately modern synthetic oils can withstand pretty high temps before turing to vapor and/or breaking down. I do have to say tho I always had an oil temp gauge on my 04 egc and just recently bought a dipstick temp gauge for my 2011 RGU and it does give me warm and fuzzy feelings lol. I tested the accuracy of the dipstick temp gauge and in is suprisingly spot on. Nice thing about the dipstick gauge is you can not look at it while you drive so it is not a distraction like the fairing mounted one lol.
Actually diesel engines in construction equipment will have higher oil temps then your twin cam will ever see. On testing I've done one some military equipment in the Arizona desert we would see sustained oil temps of 310-320 degrees for hours on end with no ill effects and at times up to 340 degrees without damage. And just like a diesel engine your twin cam has cooling jets that squirt oil on the bottom of the pistons to extract the heat out of the cylinders. Hence is why a twin cam runs so much hotter than an EVO.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Well, as useless as some point out this gauge to be, I'm really enjoying it. It's interesting to notice changes when at highway speed as opposed to stuck in traffic. What was really cool (no pun intended) was the temp it reached when I took the bike up Mt. Washington last weekend. Up near 290! Actually tmd, I'm glad you talked up the high heat levels these engines can take because I was going to ask about the 290 or so degrees. So thanks for that info.

That being said, that was my point of the post in that at least this oil temp gauge actually measures something. As for the benifit of us knowing that, well, as noted above there are differing opinions. What we all seem to agree on is the shark is where it's at!!!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Well, as useless as some point out this gauge to be, I'm really enjoying it. It's interesting to notice changes when at highway speed as opposed to stuck in traffic. What was really cool (no pun intended) was the temp it reached when I took the bike up Mt. Washington last weekend. Up near 290! Actually tmd, I'm glad you talked up the high heat levels these engines can take because I was going to ask about the 290 or so degrees. So thanks for that info.

That being said, that was my point of the post in that at least this oil temp gauge actually measures something. As for the benifit of us knowing that, well, as noted above there are differing opinions. What we all seem to agree on is the shark is where it's at!!!
I'm glad your enjoying it and not taking my comments personally. The only reason I posted them is because people will install the temp gauge not knowing what the true running temps are then totally freak out trying to figure out how to make it run cooler when it fact its running just as it was designed to. Enjoy and ride on.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts