Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What temp should my oil be at running hard and high heat in Florida ?

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
"Design" oil temp on the Twin Cam motor has often been reported to be 230* which is a pretty normal number that youll see after 20mi of highway riding in 75-80* weather. Ive seen 250 or so in 100* temps. Temps in stop and go traffic can be higher.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I live in Tallahassee and just rode up and back to Greensboro, GA. I had the dealer install a Reefer oil cooler and a HD factory oil guage.

On I75 at 75-80Mph during the late morning, bike ran at 205-210 deg. We got stopped in traffic for a few and were going nowhere fast for 3 miles. Bike quickly jumps to 230. It did not get any hotter. I did, however!

On return trip, in the cooler am temps, bike ran about 190-200 down same stretch of I75. Hit traffic back home and back to 230.

You can park bike for lunch and return and these engines will drop 50 deg in an hour. Amazing.

Just a real case example. I hope this helps.:)

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
On the newer 103 Twin Cams 230-260 is normal. In 100 plus temps and stop and go traffic 280-300 is normal.

·
Administrator
12,485 Posts
I live in Tallahassee and just rode up and back to Greensboro, GA. I had the dealer install a Reefer oil cooler and a HD factory oil guage.

On I75 at 75-80Mph during the late morning, bike ran at 205-210 deg. We got stopped in traffic for a few and were going nowhere fast for 3 miles. Bike quickly jumps to 230. It did not get any hotter. I did, however!

On return trip, in the cooler am temps, bike ran about 190-200 down same stretch of I75. Hit traffic back home and back to 230.

You can park bike for lunch and return and these engines will drop 50 deg in an hour. Amazing.

Just a real case example. I hope this helps.:)
If you didn't have the Reefer, you would see the temps go a bit higher, I know because I had my oil temp gauge before I bought my reefer, for extra cooling you might also want to try engine cooling fans. BTW welcome to the forum from Miramar.

·
Registered
7,259 Posts
On the newer 103 Twin Cams 230-260 is normal. In 100 plus temps and stop and go traffic 280-300 is normal.
+1... I had the same concerns when i installed the oil temp gauge. It was comfirmed that the twin cams will and do run temps up to 300°.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Pretty much as stated above.....did 800 miles across northern NM and back doing speed limit plus 5. When relatively cool, 200-215, warmer temps above 85, around 220 with an occasional 230.

·
Registered
528 Posts
May I add that I understand 250 plus is normal, but I still am gonna get a slight "pucker factor" when I see 250 plus going to Shark Week III. :eek:

P

·
0 Posts
anything above 250,ide pull over & let it cool off (or get a better cooler)300,forget it,WAY TOO HOT,IMO

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Sumax the powder coating folks, that we have built MANY bikes for, locally, had us perform some cylinder head heat testing for them about 10 years ago in our oven we use when we used to(still do occasionally)re-sleeve cylinders.
At a digital recorded 350*, the valve seats WILL start to migrate in the head, FWIW.
Scott

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
anything above 250,ide pull over & let it cool off (or get a better cooler)300,forget it,WAY TOO HOT,IMO
Believe it or not your Twinki is actually designed to operate at these temps.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Problem is, our bodies were not deaigned to tolerate sitting on top of something this hot, at least not for very long. Anytime ive seen oil temps nearing 250 my ass was getting very uncomfortable, to the point of being a safety issue.

P

·
0 Posts
yea,the MOCO also say`s not to worry about .012" run out.250+ oil temp is fine if you plan on trading the bike in every 1 or 2 years,but parts are parts & NO air cooled engine is going to last with 250-300 oil temps

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
yea,the MOCO also say`s not to worry about .012" run out.250+ oil temp is fine if you plan on trading the bike in every 1 or 2 years,but parts are parts & NO air cooled engine is going to last with 250-300 oil temps
Hummm lets do a little math shall we. The twin cam was introduced in 1999 and other then the Sportster and V-Rod its their mainstay. They also make what 200,000 or so a year. So that's about 2.8 million Twin Cams out there. Where's all the melted ones?
If you knew anything about motors at all be it liquid or air cooled, 2 or 4 stroke then you would know that these temps come no where close to what some industrial diesels put out. Oh yeah lets not forget that they both use the same oil.

P

·
0 Posts
Hummm lets do a little math shall we. The twin cam was introduced in 1999 and other then the Sportster and V-Rod its their mainstay. They also make what 200,000 or so a year. So that's about 2.8 million Twin Cams out there. Where's all the melted ones?
If you knew anything about motors at all be it liquid or air cooled, 2 or 4 stroke then you would know that these temps come no where close to what some industrial diesels put out. Oh yeah lets not forget that they both use the same oil.
listen here sport,i rebuild ALOT of burnt up TC motors (and EVO`s & shovels) from clowns that dont know when to shut their bikes off when their too hot.if YOU knew anything about motors youde know theres a BIG difference between industrial diesels & ANY HD motor,and even comparing the two shows your ignorance.been in business for 30+ years doing HD machining & engine building,ive seen the effects of 250+ degree oil

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
listen here sport,i rebuild ALOT of burnt up TC motors (and EVO`s & shovels) from clowns that dont know when to shut their bikes off when their too hot.if YOU knew anything about motors youde know theres a BIG difference between industrial diesels & ANY HD motor,and even comparing the two shows your ignorance.been in business for 30+ years doing HD machining & engine building,ive seen the effects of 250+ degree oil
First and foremost I'm not your Sport.
Secondly your claims of building engines is meaningless.
Oh, and just to piss you off ALOT is two words. A LOT

P

·
0 Posts
fine pal,im not going to get in a pissin match with you,go ahead and run diesel oil in your bike @ 250-300 degree`s,free country last time i checked:confused:

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Harleys design is all about meeting emissions. Not for power or long term engine life. After 2yrs and maybe 5k miles (average harley owner mileage) Harley could care less about what happens to the engine, they want you to buy a new one. Anything an owner can do to keep heat managed is all about keeping our long term ownership costs down.

You don't have to melt a motor to screw it up. Harley has the engine temp management system for a reason, to control excess heat. It's there to help alleviate heat for the rider but it's also there to cool the hotter running rear cylinder.

300 Degree oil temperature translates to significantly hotter head temps which unchecked could easily exceed 400 degrees. Harley starts dumping lots more fuel in to try and quench the heat. Top ends on Shovels and Pans were very short lived due to inability to manage heat, those cast iron cylinders get damn hot! Early HD EFI on Evo's ran the rear cylinders so hot they'd burn up the exhaust valves or score the cylinder.

Comparing any liquid cooled engine diesel or otherwise, you will NOT see head temps soar unchecked. Industrial diesels have huge radiators and huge oil sumps. Large sump and volume of oil plays a significant role in cooling and protecting the engine. Harley has a whopping 3-4 qts of oil, it's not a fair comparison.

Anyway... those are my thoughts/opinions on this...

·
Registered
8,830 Posts
When your A-hole puckers, pull over and let her cool off. The bike that is. :)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Tempers

Seems like tempers here are hotter than the oil hahehahe

1 - 20 of 25 Posts