Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning,

I think the bike is transfering oil, it is very low on the dip stick, question is, if I want to ride this weekend,

Would it or could it hurt to add some trans fluid and ride it?
Could that damage the primary or the trans, seems like most people are just running them.

I don't want to do damage but the dealer is telling me they are scheduled out to September 19th so they can't get the vent kit installed.

This bike is a 19' with 3,600 miles.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
I don't own a M8 but have heard about the dreaded oil transfer problem.
If I'm correct the transmission fluid is transferring to the primary.
If this is the case and You need to ride I would drain both Transmission and Primary and refill with the proper amount of oils.
After The Ride, I would check again to see if and how much oil has transferred again.
As long as it is still under warranty and You have notified Your Stealership just enjoy it untill they can repair it.
That's Just My Honest Opinion.
Others, more knowledgeable, with the issue may chime in with better information.
Mike U.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Good morning,

I think the bike is transfering oil, it is very low on the dip stick, question is, if I want to ride this weekend,

Would it or could it hurt to add some trans fluid and ride it?
Could that damage the primary or the trans, seems like most people are just running them.

I don't want to do damage but the dealer is telling me they are scheduled out to September 19th so they can't get the vent kit installed.

This bike is a 19' with 3,600 miles.

Thanks for the info.
Just top it up and you’ll be fine, the primary will be a bit over full but it won’t hurt anything.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't own a M8 but have heard about the dreaded oil transfer problem.
If I'm correct the transmission fluid is transferring to the primary.
If this is the case and You need to ride I would drain both Transmission and Primary and refill with the proper amount of oils.
After The Ride, I would check again to see if and how much oil has transferred again.
As long as it is still under warranty and You have notified Your Stealership just enjoy it untill they can repair it.
That's Just My Honest Opinion.
Others, more knowledgeable, with the issue may chime in with better information.
Mike U.
This is what I was going to do, but since most dealers are asses, mine said "they need to document it".
Basically saying that I should not do anything to correct this on my own.

So, I guess I'll go by today and have them add some fluid so they can check it themselves.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
This is what I was going to do, but since most dealers are asses, mine said "they need to document it".
Basically saying that I should not do anything to correct this on my own.

So, I guess I'll go by today and have them add some fluid so they can check it themselves.
Best of Luck and Enjoy Your Ride!
Mike U.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just talked to another local dealer to a guy in the service department.

He told me that HD told him to tell people to just run them (even with nothing on the dip stick) until the next service when they would recommend the vent kit, in my case 5,000 miles.

He told me that HD told him that this is a nonissue for reliability because the bike CANNOT transfer enough oil to actually do any damage to the trans.

He also told me that any recall (if it happens) from HD would be a longer dip stick and that is all.

Don't shoot the messenger, just relaying what I was told for your consideration.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would not run with a half empty tranny and a overfilled primary. Two things are happening when the migration issue comes. 1) Your clutch is going to slip alot because of an overfilled primary. 2)Your transmission gears are going to burn out due to lack of lubrication and will overheat. There is two ways to go about this. Buy a fat pushrod from Greg Williams for less than $100 or order the primary vent kit for less than $40.00. I had the same issue on my 2017 RGU. I took it to the dealer four times in the past year because of empty transmission. I got so tired of the runaround that I bought the primary vent tube and did the work myself in about an hour and a half tops. Have put over 1000 miles already in two weeks and guess what? My transmission dipstick shows full whether hot or cold. Don’t let the service people do the same to you. I cancelled my ESP because the M8 engines whether corporate admits it or not has many design flaws. If your not comfortable with opening the primary just get the fat clutch rod and all your doing is pulling the clutch cover and just replacing the stock pushrod. Takes 30 minutes. Right now I have an issue with my bike with stage 1 only having 8 ounces coming out the crank position sensor everytime I ride. I haven’t done any work to mitigate or solve this since nobody has a 100% solution to this issue due to the many design flaws. Until then Im staying with stage 1 until the engine fails and then I’ll open up the cases and see whats the issue. Yes I heard he oil piston jet being loose can cause it as well as poorly design scavenging or compression. I am not a engineer by any means but I will do a leak down test as well as compression test soon to see what I can do to solve the issue and where it is coming from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
467 Posts
Another option is to do what I did on both my bike and my wife's bike. Buy the vent kit and install it yourself. It's pretty straight forward to do. Took me about an hour or so to do both of them.

I had zero intention of bringing the bike in to check levels, service it, then drive it 1K, bring it back again and hope they say it was bad enough to install the vent kit.

All that to and from the dealer, gas, and my time was worth way more than just doing it myself.

The kit comes with the derby cover o-ring,outer primary gasket, template and the vent. You will just need the oil to fill it back up if you have a few allen sockets, and a drill/bits.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts

He told me that HD told him to tell people to just run them (even with nothing on the dip stick) until the next service when they would recommend the vent kit, in my case 5,000 miles.

He told me that HD told him that this is a nonissue for reliability because the bike CANNOT transfer enough oil to actually do any damage to the trans.

He also told me that any recall (if it happens) from HD would be a longer dip stick and that is all.

Don't shoot the messenger, just relaying what I was told for your consideration.
As long as Your Issue has been documented at a Authorized Harley Davidson Dealership and They informed You to go ahead and ride it until the next service then go ahead. If by chance You have a problem and get stuck somewhere make sure You have the telephone number to The Dealership that You spoke with so they can come and get You.
If it was me, I would do what Big Block Bobby stated as I do all my own repairs and my 2012 Custom that I bought new has never seen the inside of any Dealership or Indy.
If I purchased a new M8 I would immediately purchase all the repair manuals so I could learn all about it and repair it myself.
But that's just my own personal opinions.
I hope that everything works out in Your favor.
Best of Luck with everything.
Mike U.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts

That's a new one. The recall for transferring fluids would be to replace the dipstick with a longer one?

·
Registered
186 Posts
The kit comes with the derby cover o-ring,outer primary gasket, template and the vent. You will just need the oil to fill it back up if you have a few allen sockets, and a drill/bits.
He’s got a ‘19 so it will have the oil deflector installed which needs removing so he’ll also have to go into the tranny side cover and either need a gasket or reuse.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts

Just the dipstick part alone would make it hard for me to trust that dealer lol

·
Registered
290 Posts
You are correctly informed here, in part. The dipstick bit is BS!

But you won't hurt it. And the vent kit DOES fix it.

Mine was one of the worst they had seen, the techs told me.

If you are really concerned, before you can get the vent kit installed do what I did for a coupla thousand miles until the 5K service and my vent kit instlalation:

Put drain pan under derby cover, remove derby cover, catch excess oil in pan, additionally remove more to get primary level correct, by using big syringe. Reinstall derby cover. No need to change the o-ring gasket. pour excess from pan into funnel and into gearbox.

Simple.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Ever since I transferred about 7 ounces over about 4000 miles, I am fanatical about checking my transmission fluid level but it has completely stopped transferring. I'm probably losing more tranny fluid from constantly wiping the dip stick than I am to transferring. I still think I want to install the vent tube. Whatever factors caused it to happen once, can happen again.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Iam glad people are having good luck with their M80's, but this is the reason I can't pull the trigger on a new one....I know what kind of luck I have and it hasn't changed in 60 yrs. And "some" dealers seem clueless over the M80's issues

But one thing Iam surprised at is people don't check the oil(s) in their bikes, I wonder if they check the oil in their mower? LOL
Maybe its from my Panhead/Shovelhead days, but I check the motor oil everytime I ride and all the fluids & tire pressures weekly

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Don't laugh at the dipstick thing. I doubt it will work on this issue, since the trannies suck dry. But lots of transmission issues have been fixed with dipstick changes.

Chrysler has changed dipsticks on automatics twice that I know about.

We had a hydro-static tractor back in the late 60's that would freewheel down hill. It spent a month in the shop being torn to bits looking for the issue with no resolution. So the factory sent an engineer out to have a look. He added a gallon of fluid, remarked the dip stick, and it was fine. For a while. It failed again, because of sloppy work at the dealer, and they got to keep it that go round.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts