Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it appears my brand new 2019 RG Ultra has the dreaded oil transfer issue. Bike has 673 miles on it as of today and when I checked the transmission level, there wasn't enough oil in the case to even reach the dip stick.

I called the dealer and told them I would be there first thing in the morning and that I hoped I would be able to leave with my bike fixed. We will see how this goes.

This is my very first H-D and if anyone has had this issue or knows what I should expect or demand, please feel free to post your experiences or opinions.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Well it appears my brand new 2019 RG Ultra has the dreaded oil transfer issue. Bike has 673 miles on it as of today and when I checked the transmission level, there wasn't enough oil in the case to even reach the dip stick.

I called the dealer and told them I would be there first thing in the morning and that I hoped I would be able to leave with my bike fixed. We will see how this goes.

This is my very first H-D and if anyone has had this issue or knows what I should expect or demand, please feel free to post your experiences or opinions.
Depends on the dealer. Some will say they need to have the service approved by the factory and will need to order the kit. Other dealers will fix it immediately.

I recommend you check the transmission oil level after the installation. Our local dealer put in the kit, but didn't bother to re-fill the transmission.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts

I'm surprised this happened. You should see a vent tube sticking up behind the primary near your passenger peg. Sorry to hear. Hope they get that vent tube in for ya. I've been good to go with my 19. Luckily.

·
Registered
426 Posts

Your problem in not uncommon; MOCO has a fix for it.

If you don't have a vent tube sticking up behind the primary, the primary vent tube should be installed under warranty.

If the vent tube is there already, the dealer will have to dig deeper into the problem.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I'm surprised this happened. You should see a vent tube sticking up behind the primary near your passenger peg. Sorry to hear. Hope they get that vent tube in for ya. I've been good to go with my 19. Luckily.
Are all 2019s being delivered with the vent tube installed?

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Are all 2019s being delivered with the vent tube installed?
I assumed they were. But I guess it depends on when it was made. My trike has it. Maybe the early 19s didnt get them. The OP miles are low I'd assume that was a late build.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Mine’s been good since the vent install (and having the dealer go back in and remove the oil deflector like they were supposed to the first time). Checked again yesterday at about 2400 miles into our trip (4K miles total) of all super slab driving. It has been stated that build dates of 5/19 and later should come with the vent. Anyone getting a dealer install vent on a 19, make sure they remove the oil deflector that comes on the 19’s. My dealer didn’t and it was still transferring until they removed it.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts

1st off-welcome to the forum from Mass!

Fender60, the transmission transfer issue is a known issue. As others have said, there is a fix now that is getting great results. Don't let it leave a bad taste in your mouth, just a small bump in the road. Youll be smiling in no time!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I assumed they were. But I guess it depends on when it was made. My trike has it. Maybe the early 19s didnt get them. The OP miles are low I'd assume that was a late build.
The miles are low because I just bought this bike less than a month ago. How can you tell what the build date is?

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
They only started installing the fix at the factory two or three months ago. I have a pretty early build 19, matter of fact it was the first 2019 RGS my dealer had delivered and I had to have it done a couple weeks ago.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I know it's a PITA to deal with this crap on a new bike but it really is a easy fix. I didn't feel like the whole have them check the fluid,drive 1000 miles, re-check, schedule a appt, etc.

Instead I just bought the primary vent kits and installed the vents myself on my 18 RGS and the wifes 18 SGS.

The vent 100% fixed both of our bikes.
It took about a half hour to do each bike and was very easy to do.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I know it's a PITA to deal with this crap on a new bike but it really is a easy fix. I didn't feel like the whole have them check the fluid,drive 1000 miles, re-check, schedule a appt, etc.

Instead I just bought the primary vent kits and installed the vents myself on my 18 RGS and the wifes 18 SGS.

The vent 100% fixed both of our bikes.
It took about a half hour to do each bike and was very easy to do.
Bobby,

Some advice for a guy who is"pretty sure" he can handle the vent tube install himself. I've read the instructions 50 times but I had a question on the drill bits. Can I just use the correct size bit from my tool box or are there special bits i should buy to drill the primary?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Bobby,

Some advice for a guy who is"pretty sure" he can handle the vent tube install himself. I've read the instructions 50 times but I had a question on the drill bits. Can I just use the correct size bit from my tool box or are there special bits i should buy to drill the primary?
Cover the clutch so no metal gets in it. Use a sharp bit cutting at a slow speed so you aren't throwing shavings. The aluminum is soft and easy to drill through. To pick up the few shavings out of the little pocket I dabbed some grease on a few Q-tips and got all of it out.

It's easy to do. BTW cut out the template with a razor and if you plan to do more copy it onto some plastic.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Good job, BBB.

Mine (2019 FLTRX, build late December '18) has been migrating all thru the last 4500 miles since I picked it up in April, so I am getting the vent installed in 12 days at the 5000-mile service.

Dealer is a ferry ride plus 40 miles from me and I commute most days on the bike, so I decided to wait til the 5000 service, and meantime handled this little problem easy with a drain pan, a jug, and a king-size syringe to take the right amount out of the primary and transfer back to trans, every 600-700 miles or so. No biggie.

No other issues.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Cover the clutch so no metal gets in it. Use a sharp bit cutting at a slow speed so you aren't throwing shavings. The aluminum is soft and easy to drill through. To pick up the few shavings out of the little pocket I dabbed some grease on a few Q-tips and got all of it out.

It's easy to do. BTW cut out the template with a razor and if you plan to do more copy it onto some plastic.
Thanks!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Maybe it’s an early build ‘19.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts