Road Glide banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys in a pervious thread got great info on a amp purchase. Called a local shop here and mention what I was trying to do, he tells me alpine just released a new amp crazy small perfect for what I am trying to do.

Now my question is how would I go about installing this? Is it hard to do, I can manage to get fairing off etc. run power wire to battery. What about the rest? What do I do for wiring into the stereo? Any input would be great? Is there tricks? All and any info would be great

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
what year is your bike?

the basics, of install are really well covered in the hawg wired pdf's

when you run the cable, I put everything into 1/4 pcv flex tub, poly braid works well also, and stagger the joints so one connection isn't laying on top of the other one, sometimes 1" spacing works, other times 1/2" is all there is room for

I try and run the cables and then add about 10% to the length, so nothing pulls or strains

quality cable and some patience, oxygen free cable 10-12 ga for power and ground, I used 16ga for the speaker wires, because the connectors I bought were 16-22ga connectors

I think the most repetitive task is wiring up the speaker wires

use solder and heat shrink tubing, about a dot of solder, should almost poke through the other side, you can snug test the joint and use a file before sliding over the tubing, I use one piece on each and and one size large right at the joint

it's okay to, test the system, with clips, etc, but don't run full out before the install is done.

other thoughts, voltage meter, to check polarity, ohms, heat sink or amp placement, should fit be secure, and have some air movement

it's doeable

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
you will more than likely mount the amp under the radio

it's also a good chance to clean up the factory wire routing, or put pvc jackets on the looms to ease, on and off, I have a 2010

you can use a hi/low converter, but most amps now handle that task well, speaker line outs, to the amp, amp to speakers

just try and do enough research to where everything matches well on paper

the radio also has a flash for amped or non amped

·
Registered
120 Posts
Sorry should have said the year. It is a 2015 rgs...
I tried to make things as easy as possible as this was my first amp install and I had never worked on a 15 RGS before. I called V-Twin audio and had them send me the wiring harness for the amp install so really everything was plug and play besides the wires that go into the amp. I also got the remote wire hook up from as well. All of the wiring comes with instructions and a pictures which was great as I was learning as I went. I have a little write up http://harleytechtalk.org/htt/index.php/topic,80359.0.html

Its pretty easy. You shouldnt have any problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts