Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after months of research I decided on doing a handle bar swap as a DIY project. I studied the manual and followed the threads. Everything was going great last night. I had the faring removed, wires run (a pain but 4 hours later and complete) with all existing wires to include TBW. I follow everyone advice and used soap and use a small chain to pull the wires. Well now I have the bars on the bike and now I can not get the deutsch connectors (inner fairing) (left and right controls) back together!!!! The pins are not locking in place and I can get the connector back together. The connectors are easy to take apart and a pain to reassemble. I can get these pins to line up. Does anyone know any tricks or recommendations? I am almost done except for those connectors!!!

Stats:
Bike: 2010 Road glide Custom
Bars: Wild 1’s Outlaw mini apes (12 inch)
Wires: All Stock wires
Re-routed clutch

help!!!:(

·
Registered
319 Posts
You have to play around with the connectors. There is a certain way that they go in and they will lock. I stuck mine all the way through, then twisted it around and pulled them back into the bracket to seat the connectors. The key is to get them all in and hurry up and push the plate back in the connector around the pins before they move. That what locks them in and lines them up. Its just frustrating but you will eventually get it.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
hmmm the connectors were easy except for the one pin I broke. I almost started putting the pins in backwards at first though. Make sure you got them the right way they should just almost fall into place. Don't hurry....no need.

I had problems routing the clutch cable however.

cheers!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Make sure the plate in the connector is pulled up to it's highest position like when you took the pins out. I fought with that for about an hour before I gave up and decided to sleep on it. Went out the next morning, tried inserting them with the plate up, and I was done in about five minutes.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Oh yeah,

After all the pins are in place, push the plate back down. If I remember correctly, the pins "clicked" into place as you insert them into the connector. (with the plate up)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Make sure the plate in the connector is pulled up to it's highest position like when you took the pins out. I fought with that for about an hour before I gave up and decided to sleep on it. Went out the next morning, tried inserting them with the plate up, and I was done in about five minutes.
Totally agree with walking away sometimes, before frustration and breakage occurs(not just pin connectors) and coming back with a fresh perspective later. Hard lesson for me to learn as a stubborn sob...

Dirk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't get them to line up!!! Going to give it a rest for then next day or so. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I can't get them to line up!!! Going to give it a rest for then next day or so. Thanks for the advice.
Definitely shouldn't be that difficult. They only go in one way and they snap in before you even push the plate back down to lock them in place. Are they going in at all or stopping half way? If they are stopping, the only 2 things I can think of is the plate not being pulled up far enough or they are twisting as you are pushing them in and they aren't staying square. Maybe post a couple of pics and see if anyone can see anything wrong.

·
Registered
974 Posts
There are little tips on the connectors they have to go in a particular way look and the block and you will see the indent in the blocck, that is the clue on how the pins go in and then when you are done you have to push the lock bar back down. Make sure the lock bar is pulled up to push the pins in. The connector is numbered and check to be sure you have proper placement before pushing the pins in, don't forget to push then thru the rubber weather seal first. The secret is to take your time and get it done right the first time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the advice and the link. It is the weekend and I am going to try it again. Wish me luck

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mission Complete!!!

Mission Complete!!! I love these bars. Just a word of advice to anyone attempting this project. Patience, Patience, Patience and more Patience. I added some pics for anyone considering Wild 1's Outlaw 12".

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts