Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm sure someone has done this, but I have a couple of questions...

I have this thing dialed in perfectly, and am a bit concerned if it will throw off my wind management by putting the rear up the 1" so it has the same stance as an Ultra.

I put on a fair amount of miles, 32,500 in the 33 months I've owned it, and have started riding two up a lot more.

So I guess me questions are simple, since I know it's doable, and will improve the ride, my only real question at this point is does anyone think it could screw up the wind management.

Will changing the angle change the way the wind reacts going over the bike?

As always, is there anything you out there have experienced that I haven't thought of?

Which progressives or other shocks have you gone with on your Ultras?

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I don't think it will, however my only experience is I now have the DIY air ride and I know it is about 1" taller in the back than from the stock shocks, when I have them airred up riding two-up.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I don't think it will, however my only experience is I now have the DIY air ride and I know it is about 1" taller in the back than from the stock shocks, when I have them airred up riding two-up.
I would have to agree. I don't think the slight change in angle is going to affect wind management - I also have the DIY air ride and I don't notice any difference when I 'm running at diff heights.

I will add that the DIY ride great IMO, highly recommend it. I have the Monroes and they are 14" as opposed to the 13" stockers they replaced and aired up all the way they handle great. Rode two-up, fully loaded with gear to SWIV & back (3200mi round trip) and never bottomed out or scraped once. Ride is firm but not harsh, and lean angle is increased.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Well I have 13" shocks on the rear of my FLTRX without issue. I run a Madstad but buffeting was never an issue for me. I don't see 1" of extra height screwing things up.

Wind management is the last thing I think about when adding taller shocks. I think about a comfier ride with more ground clearance. I am sure the addition of a 13" shock will be to your liking.

·
Registered
612 Posts
You could also consider the Progressive 944 shocks. They are 13" but have the stance of a 12" shock. They are expensive but it would give you the travel of the 13" shock but allow you to maintain the current stance you have with the HD 12" shock.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
the ultra shocks are 13'', while the custom shocks are 12''. but changing them out does not necessarily raise the rear 1'' because the shocks are not perpendicular to the ground. is there anyone who lives near you that has an extra set of 13'' that will let you test them out?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm ok with that.

My only goal is the better ride quality of the shocks, not actually raising the rear, but that is how I phrased it, my bad there.

I'm considering just picking up a set of shocks cheap to see how I like em, I did have a 2009 Ultra Classic, so I have a pretty good idea what to expect from a ride standpoint.

I can always go with a better setup over the winter if I like the stance and am satisfied with whatever small change I might get in wind management.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Besides a better ride you probably won't even notice any difference in handling with a 13 inch shock because the custom and ultra should have the same front suspension
I am using a Progressive 13 inch 440 heavy duty shock on my 08 and I love them, but the 13 inch rear shock was OEM on a 08 FLTR.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts