Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why can't motorcycle ECM's adjust to mods the way car comps can?

I don't have a dog in this fight, my Powervision is awesome, and all I need, but with all the stuff modern tech can do, just think of our cell phones, why can't todays motorcycle companies have ECM's that don't need changing to do such minor changes as exhaust and air cleaner.

It's time.

And I find it pretty hard to believe it's not possible. I can understand the need to program when you're doing heads, cams, and other big motor work, but it's2015.

I'm calling ya out Harley, Polaris, BMW, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Honda, and all the other makers out there!

·
Super Moderator
10,215 Posts
I'll throw another one out there , since it's known here I hate some of the technology ..

Why cant the OBD reader I buy for my truck and car be compatible with a motosickle :confused:

JtB

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True. I had one about 20 years ago that worked on my 1985 Chevy, ya can't tell me that we can't make one for bikes.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand Hypertech made a programmer for my 1996 Chevy pickup that could tune for racing or fuel economy, adjust the speedometer for different height tires, adjust shift points on the automatic trans, and could even do some other things I don't even recall.

Is the motorcycle industry just in cahoots with the aftermarket, and are all these companies just that incapable?

With traction control, linked abs, and all he other tech innovation in motorcycles over the last 20 years, I smell the strong scent of BS.

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
It's all about money! They make a lot of money in labor cost tuning our bikes. What else could it be? Lol!
+1^^^^
You can't expect the motorcycle industry to lose million just to make thing convenient for the consumer.
What eats me to the bone is that parts for a motorcycle cost 10 times as much as parts for a automobile.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I think it's more about the EPA than anything else. They should rename the ECM the Emissions Control Module :)
Bingo!!!

EPA does everything it can to keep us from making anything more than appearance mods.

·
Registered
51 Posts
There is no reason any electronically controlled motorcycle cannot also have an OBDII diagnostics port instead of what they have now.

Car parts are much less expensive than motorcycle parts because of volume and competition. Part of it is cost due to scale, the other is that the market will bear it. Just look at marine/boat parts :surprise:

There is no reason that Harley or anyone else cannot build the bike to fully compensate for vehicle changes. Due to the fact that it is, in may parts of the world, illegal to make changes to the exhaust system, or to anything else that is related to emissions, it is essentially moot. If you take the CAT out of any newer car, the ECU will throw an error. If you hack the ECU to eliminate the error, in many areas, you have broken the law. I am thankful that I live in an area where such modifcations can be made. My only concern is that any such changes violate warranty terms.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
The scanner would read the codes if you built an adapter. The read out is standard Delphi OBD II, but the connector is not. And since it is not required to be by law, the MoCo made it propitiatory and kept the money in their shops. With that said, you can buy an interface and turn your laptop into a scan tool. Not as functional as a digi scan, but enough to read codes and clear them, see sensor readings in real time and bleed antilock on a pre can-buss bike. Or you can toss that Delphi thing and put an aftermarket ecm in, and then the laptop is your scan tool.

As for the limits of the ecm, the tamper resistance is mandatory. The lack of self tunebility is a lot of things. Lack of a mass flow sensor being a huge one. Temperature stability being another. The MoCo did make better use of the system by stepping away from ion sensing and silencing the motor enough to use piezoelectric knock sensors on the 107.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts