Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If this is in the wrong place, feel free to move it.

As I've said in other posts, this is my first Harley. It's a '97 ElectraGlide Ultra. It came with the heel shifter, the floor boards, the whole nine yards. Bought it late February. Have taken it out several times and have made some decisions. One, the heel shifter had to go. Due to the sasquatch size of my feet, I could not get used to that thing. Kept accidentally knocking it out of gear (or once, even worse, put it in gear when I didn't want to). Nothing was ever damaged and the only injury was to my pride so that thing has been removed. First and only one of those I'll ever have. Now for the second mod. Floorboards gotta go. This is the only bike I've ever ridden that has them. I always thought they looked cool, liked the idea of them. After 4 months they gotta go. I can not get used to them either. Can't get my feet off them without a struggle. I have bruises on my ankles that I got through my boots from banging the edges of the dang things. It has these:

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design
Light Automotive tire Gas Automotive wheel system Auto part

My old bike has these:

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle
(Pardon the dirt and dust, it's parked in a shed, midway through a restoration that got stalled when we moved. I'll get back to it now that I'm retired. )

Something similar is what I'm looking for to put on the Harley. I already have highway pegs up on the crash bar, but I seldom use them. Haven't taken any really long trips on it yet so I may. I can see some benefit in them, but the boards gotta go. Trouble is that I don't know enough about the Harley line to know what to ask for. Any suggestions you could make will be welcome.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
Not sure if a forward control setup works on touring bikes. I can't remember ever seeing that set up on one but I think that's what you're looking for.

·
Premium Member
5,699 Posts
Hey jack, there is a company that makes bigger floor boards that may helps.

I think banana boards, someone will correct me

·
Registered
28 Posts
My solution longer arms.
Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle

·
Premium Member
1,430 Posts
@hillbillyjack .... I suppose there is a way to lose the boards and do pegs, though I'm not aware of it. I think you're wise to check in on various forums and search for knowledge. I would also advise checking in with a couple H-D dealers and maybe a good independent shop for possible solutions. Where there's a will there's definitely a way, even if it involves a bit of cu$tomizing.

I can relate to not enjoying the footboards at first. They felt foreign to me back then and it seemed like my feet felt blocked much of the time...hard to describe. In time they became acceptable and then normal. Now they're fine and I love them. Not that anyone cares to look, but I can show you a dark-ish disfigured area on my left lower leg where a footpeg injured me several years ago. I almost ended up in the hospital due to that injury. Pegs have their own risks as legs can get in front of or behind them.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
2021 Road Glide Special in Snake Venom 🐍
438 Posts
I consider myself dismissed.
Sorry jack not getting off that easily. A light order of ribbing comes standard. Sasquatch sized feet are not an issue with boards as there are numerous accessories that are either able to reposition or extend the boards out, lengthen the shifter rods, or reposition your feet. I love boards and use them in combination with hiway pegs where my ankle sits on the board and I rotate and rest my toe on the peg.

Unfortunately I’m only finding stuff that goes back to 2009.

Here are mine to give you an idea where I place mine at……

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Vehicle

Tire Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
26 Posts
These give you pegs and boards:

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
@hillbillyjack I noticed in a Laidlaw video, the sourced mid mounted pegs from Performance Machine (PM). Maybe PM has them for your machine.

Reactions: StoneTrekker

·
Registered
1,957 Posts

·
Administrator
2008 FLTRU 105th Anniversary w/ 110"
4,311 Posts
These give you pegs and boards:

Those a neat idea - but $440 worth, my Irish says no.

Goldwings have pegs.
Obviously. What’s your point?
Poor attempt at humour.

@hillbillyjack - I would consider taking some more time riding with the boards - adjust your highway pegs to be low and then an extension where you can rest your heels and put the rest of your foot on them. I just had to ride 10 hours in very wet and cold conditions and it was the first time my boots soaked through - I couldn't imagine how cold I would have been with pegs and cold water even hitting the bottom of my feet.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts