Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
A potential fix for compensator rattle.
If you had asked about a week earlier, I would have had a bike to test it on. As it is, I just replaced mine with another HD 2014 SE Comp.

Do you recall when I was at your place, you asked what the rattle was? That was the comp. I'd forgotten just how quiet it can be with a good comp. Not sure how long this new one will last.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I've got a set as well, Frankie (replaced with a Baker Comp). Looks like you're already set, but if you need more, I'd be happy to oblige.

-J

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
I've got a set as well, Frankie (replaced with a Baker Comp). Looks like you're already set, but if you need more, I'd be happy to oblige.

-J
Boxed and labeled, headed to the UPS store.

I was hoping to get a Baker, but it appears they are still playing catch-up with their pre-orders. I don't expect this new HD comp to last all that long, but mor than long enough for Baker to get caught up. I figure, with 100,000 miles on the bike, a new comp is a good way to start the next 100,000. I do need to replace the clutch sprocket now, it is getting a bit sharp in the teeth.

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
Frankie, it looks like ONG beat me too it.
I found mine, so if you need more just let me know.
Be glad to send it to you to help you in your new venture.
Best of Luck!
Mike U.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have a question in reference to this thread. Can someone describe or explain the rattle you hear when the compensator is going up?

I have a rattle on my left side in the area of the front of the primary. It is not constant but comes and goes. Normally it occures when I have the clutch pulled in, waiting at a light or stop. I have checked the kickstand, and floorboard mount, they are tight. The H-D tech at my dealer also could not find the problem either.

My bike is a 13 with only has 9K on it. The compensator should not be bad yet...Right?:serious:

Thanks in advance,

Hawkman

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
I have a question in reference to this thread. Can someone describe or explain the rattle you hear when the compensator is going up?

I have a rattle on my left side in the area of the front of the primary. It is not constant but comes and goes. Normally it occures when I have the clutch pulled in, waiting at a light or stop. I have checked the kickstand, and floorboard mount, they are tight. The H-D tech at my dealer also could not find the problem either.

My bike is a 13 with only has 9K on it. The compensator should not be bad yet...Right?:serious:

Thanks in advance,

Hawkman
your compensator should not be bad yet, but its pretty common issue. Comp nut backing off? I had to replace my compensator, among many other things, like: the main shaft seals and bearings. (My bearing had shifted just slightly)
Does your bike hard start or clunk when starting? Maybe more-so when the bike is hot? Thats the sound mine made. Otherwise-

-Did you put in a new clutch lately? if the clutch plates were not soaked overnight and still dry, that could cause a rattling in the primary. - might be worth a shot.
-Did he check the crank run out to see if it shifted? if the crank shifts, that can cause a lot of racket on the comp side.
-Chain tensioner? is it not working or stuck? or if its loose you could try this to tighten up the primary chain and see if it changes anything:Accelerate from a stop in first gear rather hard to about 30 MPH and then brake rather hard using only the rear brake without locking up the wheel and don't pull in the clutch until the bike slows enough.
Do this 2-3 times in succession

Thats about all the suggestions i can provide.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Boxed and labeled, headed to the UPS store.

I was hoping to get a Baker, but it appears they are still playing catch-up with their pre-orders. I don't expect this new HD comp to last all that long, but mor than long enough for Baker to get caught up. I figure, with 100,000 miles on the bike, a new comp is a good way to start the next 100,000. I do need to replace the clutch sprocket now, it is getting a bit sharp in the teeth.

If it makes you feel any better.....my stock compensator went out almost immediately after I installed the Stage IV Kit. Horny Toad HD replaced the compensator along with the starter under warranty. They used the SE compensator. It's been good to go about 15 months with no end in site. (????knock on wood)!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 15 of 15 Posts