Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OMG here we go! Need engine advice!

So I’ve been scrambling to get ready for Sturgis and the last thing I wanted to address was my low oil pressure I’ve experiencing ever since I had a local HD dealership install a 110 bolt on kit about 2,000 miles ago. I did take my bike back to them when I first noticed it and they said “it’s normal just ride it”

That didn’t sit well with me so I took to another shop who has done work for me in the past and we agreed to install a hi flow oil pump to help with my concern. So today while installing the pump this is what they found!

So my questions are, is this an obvious over tourqe situation (AKA dealership F&$ked up) and is there a easy reliable bandaid to get me threw my 3,500 mile trip?

I have a call into the HD dealership owner hopefully he’s willing to talk with me.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
So I’ve been scrambling to get ready for Sturgis and the last thing I wanted to address was my low oil pressure I’ve experiencing ever since I had a local HD dealership install a 110 bolt on kit about 2,000 miles ago. I did take my bike back to them when I first noticed it and they said “it’s normal just ride it”

That didn’t sit well with me so I took to another shop who has done work for me in the past and we agreed to install a hi flow oil pump to help with my concern. So today while installing the pump this is what they found!

So my questions are, is this an obvious over tourqe situation (AKA dealership F&$ked up) and is there a easy reliable bandaid to get me threw my 3,500 mile trip?

I have a call into the HD dealership owner hopefully he’s willing to talk with me.
I would say no. Over torquing will generally pull threads. That looks to have had a side load put on it. Like if someone missed a bolt and took a dead blow to the cam cover and then realized there was still a bolt in it after hitting it. Only speculation though. I would make note of your cam sprocket retaining bolt looking like someone put it on with an impact gun and a crappy socket. Might be an indicator of the skill level of said mechanic. Or maybe it’s just a bad picture. In any case....good luck with the repair.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
I would use rtv on the gasket when putting it back together.. I'm assuming it wasn't an issue until you found it? Then fight with the dealer to get it fixed.... Good luck...

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
I'd be fighting for a new case. I have zero faith in any dealership mechanic. They put throttle cables on my wifes Street 500. I just did a bar swap. He never tightened the lock nuts on the adjusters. How basic a task and he screwed that up.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I would say no. Over torquing will generally pull threads. That looks to have had a side load put on it. Like if someone missed a bolt and took a dead blow to the cam cover and then realized there was still a bolt in it after hitting it. Only speculation though. I would make note of your cam sprocket retaining bolt looking like someone put it on with an impact gun and a crappy socket. Might be an indicator of the skill level of said mechanic. Or maybe it’s just a bad picture. In any case....good luck with the repair.
I agree with the side load hypothesis!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I talked to the owner today, was quite surprised he called me this morning at 10:00. We had a decent conversation but as you can expect he’s trying to deflect the issue to my mechanic. I sent him pictures and awaiting he’s call back. Stay tuned! ....

In the meantime I have to get this thing buttoned back up for next week. Has anyone had luck with a helicoil fix on a case?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Helicoil really isn’t the issue. Helicoils work just fine. Drilling that hole out straight for a helicoil might prove difficult. An even larger concern would be the missing pieces. That one in your hand isn’t all there was. Or did you just not photograph the rest of the pieces? Something chewed that piece up and hopefully the oil filter is holding the majority of it.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Helicoil really isn’t the issue. Helicoils work just fine. Drilling that hole out straight for a helicoil might prove difficult. An even larger concern would be the missing pieces. That one in your hand isn’t all there was. Or did you just not photograph the rest of the pieces? Something chewed that piece up and hopefully the oil filter is holding the majority of it.
This post is absolutley correct. There's a good chance your motor has metal fragments in it now, and a passage somewhere got partially blocked, causing your low oil pressure issue. If it were me, I'd pass on the road trip with this bike. The real fix that HD should perform is a new case. Something to think about is if you take this bike on your trip and the motor grenades, you're really gonna have a battle to fight with HD for a new motor. The hole probably cracked from a side blow, but wasn't all the way broken off until they buttoned it back up, which may have caused it to break off. From the looks of it, that piece bounced around in your cam chest for a bit, which may have caused even more damge that hasn't been found yet.

Lil Chief

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Is it possible there was a defect in the case from the factory that just decided to let go?
That’s just another reason that I do all my own work.
As others have stated, there’s a big possibility that there are other pieces floating around in the engine that can cause more major damage.
If it was me I’d pass on the trip and make the Dealer fix it properly.
Best of Luck!
Mike U.

·
Registered
149 Posts
It does look possibly like a side blow; however, I’m also wondering who the heck would strike a blow so hard as to cause this damage. Common sense would dictate that you wouldn’t hit something that hard in this location. Hypothetically, if the tech smacked it during disassembly, which is where, presumably, it would have occurred, wouldn’t he have noticed it sometime during the job? I’ve had my share of “Oh sh!t” moments. I mean things go bad sometimes and have to be fixed; that’s business. If the tech broke it and knew it, he's bound to have known that it wasn’t going to last and someone would find it at some point. So I’m wondering if it was perhaps reassembled with an impact wrench, or defective torque wrench, and was way over torqued (a defective torque wrench caused one of my “Oh sh!t” moments). At that point the tech may not have realized it. It obviously torqued up. Can the indy say how tight it was?

How do you fix it? The only real solution is a new case. With your oil pressure being low, as others have mentioned, it’s a possibility that bits of metal have traveled through the engine and lodged in a passage, or the filter if you’re lucky. I’d want the rest of the engine (pistons, heads, etc) checked for damage.

Is your indy willing to go to court? To fix and diagnose it to my satisfaction would be a several thousand dollar job. Since your dealer has already attempted to deflect onto the indy I’d be surprised if he admitted fault.

·
Registered
824 Posts
The wear pattern looks more like vibration polishing than grinding against moving parts to me (they would be deeper and sharp), and the dark low areas give the impression its been cracked for a while. So I'm thinking factory flaw/casting crack that just decided to let go on the fly somewhere. Once that thing fell to the bottom of the cam chest, there ain't much it can hit down there. But it can sit down there and buzz against the inside of the case ... Which is what appears - given the wear pattern - to have happened. Look for a corresponding burnished looking area on the inside of the case near where it was found to confirm.

If it was me, and the dealer wasn't going to make it right ... I'd just have it welded back in (so the hole is sound), grind it down and level the sealing surface off with a honing stone, change the oil, and ride the damn thing. Any damage that could have been done by the (minor since aluminum) material that came off the chip is already done. So if it runs okay now...it will quite likely continue to do so.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
No heli coil is going to provide a solid long term fix for that. The most effective repair is to straight up replace the issue. I love when a dealer gets paid for a job that causes concern to the customer after getting the bike back. When the customer brings the bike back in and explains their concerns the dealer just brushes it off and says ride it. This has happened to me a few times and there is no reason for it. Hopefully they get you straightened out and back on the road. Good luck!

·
Registered
989 Posts
No heli coil is going to provide a solid long term fix for that. The most effective repair is to straight up replace the issue. I love when a dealer gets paid for a job that causes concern to the customer after getting the bike back. When the customer brings the bike back in and explains their concerns the dealer just brushes it off and says ride it. This has happened to me a few times and there is no reason for it. Hopefully they get you straightened out and back on the road. Good luck!
Agreed. There is no band-aid fix for this. Even if you have it re-welded as stated above, the cam chest components, lifters, etc will all have to come out, which isn't a huge deal, but I don't think you're looking at a quick job to fix it that way either, and that is, if you can find someone to do it while the motor is still in the bike. Best case scenario is that the oil filter caught the small aluminum particles, and the cam plate should be flushed out too. Hard to say how far the little glitter traveled within the motor, but I certainly wouldn't ride it until I was sure all of the aluminum has been removed from the motor.
Lil Chief

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I don’t want to harp on the subject but.....the piece I see missing is the gasket surface. There’s should be a machined surface on that piece that’s broke off and it’s not there, unless I’m missing something and that’s why I say it looks like that piece got chewed on by something. My guess would be that it got in front of the cam plate and the chain ate it up a bit. It is a very light piece of aluminum that might not drop to the bottom. In any case, as others stated, the lack of oil pressure that led to the opening of the cam chest indicates that metal has travelled through some components and if it were me I’d call it quits before it gets worse.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don’t want to harp on the subject but.....the piece I see missing is the gasket surface. There’s should be a machined surface on that piece that’s broke off and it’s not there, unless I’m missing something and that’s why I say it looks like that piece got chewed on by something. My guess would be that it got in front of the cam plate and the chain ate it up a bit. It is a very light piece of aluminum that might not drop to the bottom. In any case, as others stated, the lack of oil pressure that led to the opening of the cam chest indicates that metal has travelled through some components and if it were me I’d call it quits before it gets worse.

I had two oil changes during those 2000 miles and there was no metal in the drain pan.

I’ve been planning this trip for two years “I’m still going to send it” if it blows I’m towing it to a local Indian store and buying a new bike to finish my trip! Once I get home I’ll send a driver / trailer to pickup the RG. Once it gets home throw a big wheel and SS 124 in it!

Fucking it! You only live one! .... plus it will make a great story!

·
Registered
824 Posts
I don’t want to harp on the subject but.....the piece I see missing is the gasket surface. There’s should be a machined surface on that piece that’s broke off and it’s not there, unless I’m missing something and that’s why I say it looks like that piece got chewed on by something.
I think see what you're after given the appearance of the top of the piece in OP's pic 2. But I believe that that is actually the bottom of the "chip", due to the curve at the top of pic 2's matching the curve at the bottom (opposite the gasket surface) seen in pics 3 & 4. You can also see the threads cleanly ending at the bottom of the hole at the top of pic 2. So the machined flat gasket surface you are looking for is actually just - not visible in the shot - pointing downward in pics 1&2 ... But does seem to have some rather iffy edges.

Might be nice if we could get OP to post one more pic of that piece missing's (in photo) bottom to see what actually is left of the sealing surface.

Reactions: MightyWhitey

·
Registered
989 Posts
Sounds like the OP has already made the decision on how he's going to fix it if it blows. I wish I had the money to make decisions like that so easily!

Lil Chief

Reactions: snarley53

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I had two oil changes during those 2000 miles and there was no metal in the drain pan.

I’ve been planning this trip for two years “I’m still going to send it” if it blows I’m towing it to a local Indian store and buying a new bike to finish my trip! Once I get home I’ll send a driver / trailer to pickup the RG. Once it gets home throw a big wheel and SS 124 in it!

Fucking it! You only live one! .... plus it will make a great story!

Sounds like a plan! I like it!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts