Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no idea how this stuff works, etc. What is the difference on the 2 or 4 ohm systems when it comes to amps and speakers. Is a 4 Ohm setup that much better than the 2 Ohm setup? Can 4 Ohm speakers be used with a 2 Ohm amp? I would not think a 4 Ohm amp would be used on 2 Ohm speakers, just seems not a good idea. Is a 4 Ohm setup better than a 2 Ohm setup for highway speed use?

Any input is much appreciated

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I have no idea how this stuff works, etc. What is the difference on the 2 or 4 ohm systems when it comes to amps and speakers. Is a 4 Ohm setup that much better than the 2 Ohm setup? Can 4 Ohm speakers be used with a 2 Ohm amp? I would not think a 4 Ohm amp would be used on 2 Ohm speakers, just seems not a good idea. Is a 4 Ohm setup better than a 2 Ohm setup for highway speed use?

Any input is much appreciated
Ohms is resistance

100 watts @ 4ohms = 200watts @2 ohms

Adding a single 4 ohm speaker to a 2 ohm load reduces power by 50%

100 [email protected] ohm is 50 watts @4 ohms

If an amp is 2 ohm stable... you can run (2) 4 ohm speakers in parallel to one channel. Pos to pos and neg to neg is parallel wiring and cuts your resistance in half

(2) 4 ohm speakers in parallel = 2 Ohms

Series wiring is neg to pos and pos to neg

----- -O+ ----- + O - ------ to one channel... doubles resistance
(2) 2 ohm speakers in series= 4 ohms

Never mix 4 and 2 ohm speakers on a circuit... the 2 ohm will drown out the 4 ohm

You can mix in a system like I do... (4) 4 ohm speakers up front... each pair paralleled to each of the front 2 channels for a 2 ohm load. The rear 6x9s are 2 ohm and run one off each rear channel. My 4 channel amp is 2 ohm stable and I am able to run 6 speakers lime this at almost 815 watts

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, much appreciated. So reading what you have posted, it’s more important how you have it set up than rather if it is a 2 or 4 ohm setup.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Thanks for the info, much appreciated. So reading what you have posted, it’s more important how you have it set up than rather if it is a 2 or 4 ohm setup.
Correct... there are more 4 ohm speakers on the market than 2 ohm...4 ohm amps are plenty and most 4 ohm amps will tell you if they are 2 ohm stable... they are plenty as well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ohms is resistance

100 watts @ 4ohms = 200watts @2 ohms

Adding a single 4 ohm speaker to a 2 ohm load reduces power by 50%

100 [email protected] ohm is 50 watts @4 ohms

If an amp is 2 ohm stable... you can run (2) 4 ohm speakers in parallel to one channel. Pos to pos and neg to neg is parallel wiring and cuts your resistance in half

(2) 4 ohm speakers in parallel = 2 Ohms

Series wiring is neg to pos and pos to neg

----- -O+ ----- + O - ------ to one channel... doubles resistance
(2) 2 ohm speakers in series= 4 ohms

Never mix 4 and 2 ohm speakers on a circuit... the 2 ohm will drown out the 4 ohm

You can mix in a system like I do... (4) 4 ohm speakers up front... each pair paralleled to each of the front 2 channels for a 2 ohm load. The rear 6x9s are 2 ohm and run one off each rear channel. My 4 channel amp is 2 ohm stable and I am able to run 6 speakers lime this at almost 815 watts

This is an awesome thread. Just what I needed to see! Subscribed!!

I recently purchased 6.5' lowers @ 2 ohms and 8" lids @ 2 ohms. The amp I am looking at is the RF TM400X4ad. I plan on powering the upper fairing, the lowers and saddlebag lids with the amp, leaving the tour pak speakers unpowered so to speak. This amp will provide plenty of power correct? Much like OP, I have no earthly idea when it comes to this stuff. And how would i wire the speakers? I was told to do the in series wiring with the 2 ohm setup.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
This is an awesome thread. Just what I needed to see! Subscribed!!

I recently purchased 6.5' lowers @ 2 ohms and 8" lids @ 2 ohms. The amp I am looking at is the RF TM400X4ad. I plan on powering the upper fairing, the lowers and saddlebag lids with the amp, leaving the tour pak speakers unpowered so to speak. This amp will provide plenty of power correct? Much like OP, I have no earthly idea when it comes to this stuff. And how would i wire the speakers? I was told to do the in series wiring with the 2 ohm setup.

Thanks!
Your amp is 2 ohm capable

Upper left and lower left front speakers wired in series to left front channel

Amp pos to sp1 pos.. sp1 neg to sp2 pos... sp2 neg to amp neg

Do the same with upper and lower right speakers to right front channel

This will give each channel a 4ohm load producing 100watts RMS X 2

( this splits the overall power between the 2 speakers in series)

Wire rear speakers one to each rear channel.. pos to pos and neg to neg

Each rear channel will be at 2 ohms and 100watts RMS X 2

Even though the amp will have different impedance between the front and rear channels, it will be fine.

The gains on the front channels will be slightly higher to compensate the extra speakers... or you may need to turn down the rear gains to not overpower the fronts.. keep that in mind

My setup is (4) 4 ohm speakers up front in parallel wiring producing a 2ohm load on front channels and (2) 2ohm speakers in the rear for an overall 2ohm load on all channels.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Your amp is 2 ohm capable

Upper left and lower left front speakers wired in series to left front channel

Amp pos to sp1 pos.. sp1 neg to sp2 pos... sp2 neg to amp neg

Do the same with upper and lower right speakers to right front channel

This will give each channel a 4ohm load producing 100watts RMS X 2

( this splits the overall power between the 2 speakers in series)

Wire rear speakers one to each rear channel.. pos to pos and neg to neg

Each rear channel will be at 2 ohms and 100watts RMS X 2

Even though the amp will have different impedance between the front and rear channels, it will be fine.

The gains on the front channels will be slightly higher to compensate the extra speakers... or you may need to turn down the rear gains to not overpower the fronts.. keep that in mind

My setup is (4) 4 ohm speakers up front in parallel wiring producing a 2ohm load on front channels and (2) 2ohm speakers in the rear for an overall 2ohm load on all channels.

Thanks for the info! Greatly appreciated and helps alot! May have to reach back out to you later :LOL:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Good Morning, Just found this. I'm running J&M system. Recently upgraded to there 700 watt amp. I also installed there wet head speaker kit. I'm really impressed with the volume I'm getting from the forward channels now. There explanation is that now the front speakers are running at 4 ohms. If I set them up the way suggested above would I then have even more power coming to them??

Merry Christmas all

·
Registered
454 Posts
So I 4 ohm amp that 2 ohm stable say 4ohm speakers 100 watts rms on amp Parallel them you’ll 2ohm and 100 watts rms still correct?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
So I 4 ohm amp that 2 ohm stable say 4ohm speakers 100 watts rms on amp Parallel them you’ll 2ohm and 100 watts rms still correct?
Depends on the amp... some will have an output change..some won't

Typically... ohms is resistance... cut the resistance in half and double the output.

This the a basic example ... 100 watts at 4ohms on a channel....would become 200 watts with a 2ohm load

now use (2) 4 ohm speakers in parallel on this channel and you have reduce the cut the resistance in half ( to 2ohms) and theoretically doubled the output.

BUT.... you now have to supply that power to 2 speakers instead of one... the load is theoretically still at 100 watts per speaker (better stated.. evenly distributed power as long at both speakers are exactly the same)

Trying not to confuse you... lol

·
Registered
454 Posts
Biketronics BT4180. Want to run2 pairs of speakers in parallel which would be 2ohms and a pair of speakers at 4 ohm.

so all 6 speakers would be same power 180 watts each correct?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Biketronics BT4180. Want to run2 pairs of speakers in parallel which would be 2ohms and a pair of speakers at 4 ohm.

so all 6 speakers would be same power 180 watts each correct?
It depends on the output the amp is rated for at 4ohm load and 2 ohm load...it could be different... check the specs

1 - 13 of 13 Posts