Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to improve the sound on my stock 2013 Roadglide Custom.

I am not an audiophile and bit hard of hearing, so mainly looking to increase the volume.

Ideally all I will change are the fairing speakers and add an amp.

What is a budget conscious recommendation and are there any misc parts I would need to get? I have read about spacers or rings....what are they for?

Apologies up front for what many will say are basic questions.

·
Administrator
12,452 Posts
What is your budget? The amount you plan to spend can have a lot to do with any reccomendations. The spacers you're referring to are to fit 6.5" speakers in the place of the OEM 5.25", you get a lot more volume from the 6.5".

·
Registered
263 Posts
Best bang for the buck, in my opinion, is adding rear speakers. Best mod I ever did. My wife can actually enjoy the music now, and it is so much louder than just the 2 fairing speakers.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Apologies not necessary . There aren't a lot of amps for less than $200 . Most are twice that much . You can get a Rockford Fosgate PBR 2 channel amp for around the $200 dollar range.
When you go from the stock 5.25 inch speakers to 6.50 inch you will have to have adapter rings to make them fit. Biketronics.com has decent speakers and adapter rings as does Hawgwired.com - either way your looking at another couple hundred bucks for the speakers. Both company's also have amps to choose from. The sky's the limit from there on what you can spend on audio upgrades!
There will be lots of other folks with other ideas here to choose from.
Also - swapping the speakers and putting on the adapter rings is easy.
Good luck in whatever you do.

·
Registered
516 Posts

I am not an audiophile and bit hard of hearing, so mainly looking to increase the volume.

What is a budget conscious recommendation and are there any misc parts I would need to get? I have read about spacers or rings....what are they for?

Soundstream amp 115$, 6.5" speakers 120-180$, speaker adapters 49$

300$ should get you a great upgrade.....

Amazon.com: Soundstream PN2.350D Picasso NANO 2-Channel 350 Watts RMS Amplifier: Car Electronics

HAWG WIRED 6.5 SPEAKER ADAPTER RINGS BLACK 06-13 HARLEY FLHX - STREET GLIDE : Amazon.com : Automotive

Amazon.com: Polk Audio AA2651-A MM651 6.5-Inch Coax Speaker: Electronics

·
Registered
141 Posts

I have a complete speakers/amp Hogtunes set for $150. look at my parts for sale...

·
Registered
8,758 Posts
I have a complete speakers/amp Hogtunes set for $150. look at my parts for sale...
For the money , Hog tunes is hard to beat. I have the older 32 watt HG set up with their 5x7 speakers. Sound is decent and plays loud enough to hear at highway speeds.

·
Registered
852 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went to a couple of the audio shops in town getting different recommendations.

One was insistant that changing to 6.5" speakers is the only way to go.

The other indicated that it is a wash...either will work well.

whats the real deal...anyone run both and able to give me the skinny?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I went to a couple of the audio shops in town getting different recommendations.

The real deal is there is no replacement for displacement. The 6.5's are going to give you more sound. I think we all have ran both at one time or another. These guys in the audio section have done all. . . .You will be money ahead to take advice from these guys. I learn something new everyday.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
hi hinerj

I have JM Rokker XT's in the fairing and JM250 watt amp. I will trade them to you for your stock speakers and grills and $525 if you are interested. Hardly ever listen to it. Also will include a $80 cable if you ever decide to add Rokker lowers. $1000 invested. Easy plug and plug. Loud and clear at 80 mph at 3/4 volumn.

·
Administrator
12,452 Posts

Kind of like saying it doesn't matter what size engine you have in your car or on your bike, it's all the same, so I'd be ok with a 883 engine in my bike..... a little extreme, but speakers volume is a product of how much air they can move, take a look at a 6.5 compared to a 5.25.... with everything else being the same, the 6.5 is obviously going to move a little more air, if size didn't matter I think all of us would have 1 or 2" speakers that could be neatly placed and not really be noticed.

·
Registered
264 Posts

Someone already put you a kit together for a good price. I can do you one better, depending on how much you have to spend. Here's what I recommend....

1. Soundstream TN4.900D (you will need it for what I am about to throw at you) $200

2. Two pair of Pioneer TS-D6902R (ultimate bass and get them mounted in your bags) $140

3. J&M Rokker HTWT-1025-CRF tweeter kit (replaces two gauges in the fairing like the CVOs) $120.

4. One pair of Infinity 62.11i (for better highs) $120 OR......

5. One pair of Pioneer TS-D1702r (for more bass) $66

All of these can be had on Amazon (search the part numbers I posted).

So...between $450-600 (estimate) you will have a complete system with an amp that is more than capable of powering these speakers. The second pair of 6x9 speakers is optional (based on how much bass you want). Either way, you will have a killer system for half of what your local shop will charge. I am running everything on this list I just posted EXCEPT for the Pioneer 1702s (only because I have Rokker speakers in the fairing). All you would need is adapters for the 6.5s, wiring for the amp, and someone to do the 6x9 install in your bag facing the wheels. Or you can do lids but that adds considerable cost to the price. Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Someone already put you a kit together for a good price. I can do you one better, depending on how much you have to spend. Here's what I recommend....

1. Soundstream TN4.900D (you will need it for what I am about to throw at you) $200

2. Two pair of Pioneer TS-D6902R (ultimate bass and get them mounted in your bags) $140

3. J&M Rokker HTWT-1025-CRF tweeter kit (replaces two gauges in the fairing like the CVOs) $120.

4. One pair of Infinity 62.11i (for better highs) $120 OR......

5. One pair of Pioneer TS-D1702r (for more bass) $66

All of these can be had on Amazon (search the part numbers I posted).

So...between $450-600 (estimate) you will have a complete system with an amp that is more than capable of powering these speakers. The second pair of 6x9 speakers is optional (based on how much bass you want). Either way, you will have a killer system for half of what your local shop will charge. I am running everything on this list I just posted EXCEPT for the Pioneer 1702s (only because I have Rokker speakers in the fairing). All you would need is adapters for the 6.5s, wiring for the amp, and someone to do the 6x9 install in your bag facing the wheels. Or you can do lids but that adds considerable cost to the price. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Now that's a killer system! But I'm not sure where he's gonna mount the TN4.900 on his bike with two pair of 6 x 9's in the bags?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Now that's a killer system! But I'm not sure where he's gonna mount the TN4.900 on his bike with two pair of 6 x 9's in the bags?
It will fit on the side of the inner fairing between the gloveboxes. Its about the same size as the JM rokker 500 watt 4 channel.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I had them put the Boom HD speakers on mine with no amp and i can hear mine at 90. $150.00

·
Registered
264 Posts
I had them put the Boom HD speakers on mine with no amp and i can hear mine at 90. $150.00
Yea the booms are pretty good but some are looking for way more. I have a pair os boom 5x7 that have been sitting on my shelf for about 2 years now. Im thinking of using them for something stupid but I figure later on down the line, someone will need em and I can give them a good deal.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts