Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So recently switched to a LRS 12" Mako. Love the shield but ever since then I get a updraft that blows my beard all in my face. I've tried the triple tree deflector, the snap on HD deflector. Any help in curing the updraft would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Brades, sun sock, candle wax. What ever floats your boat.

Since the deflectors and the fork mounted deflector didn't fix it, I'm guessing its a Rushmore fairing. And probably without lowers.

The more windshield you put on, the more air its going to draft up to fill the void behind the shield.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Brades, sun sock, candle wax. What ever floats your boat.

Since the deflectors and the fork mounted deflector didn't fix it, I'm guessing its a Rushmore fairing. And probably without lowers.

The more windshield you put on, the more air its going to draft up to fill the void behind the shield.
Thermodyne is exactly right. I had the same issue and kept trying different windshields and TT deflectors, GADS, etc. The only thing that really solved my buffeting issue was putting on lowers, and I absolutely love them. I have zero turbulent air now and can ride a lot further with less fatigue.

The Madstad shield is supposed to be a game changer too, but a lot of folks don't care for the look. My lowers and Freedom Shield are a perfect combo for ME.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
I'm not sure that the madstad would help him. They behave a lot different on the Rushmore than they did on the older fairings. I'm still sorting through it, but for starters the Rushmores require a taller panel. Raising the shorter one up lets too much air in underneath. And opening and closing vents impacts how the shield redirects air.

And he would still need to put lowers on to help block off the air from underneath.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's a 2015 RGS, so from the sounds of it going to have to invest in some lowers. Are the soft lowers effective or should I look into true lowers like hogworks or similar?

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
If the complaint was buffeting up top I would agree with the Madstad comments as it is the best performing shield out there. Since the complaint is the air from underneath blowing the beard up I have to add to those that say putting the lowers on will be the best option to fix that.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I got the knock off Amazon ones. They fit just fine (just had go to the hardware store to get 1 1/4" clamps for the bottom as they shipped with 1"). I figure they are taking a beating down there, why spend $400+ for OEM.

·
Registered
146 Posts
So recently switched to a LRS 12" Mako. Love the shield but ever since then I get a updraft that blows my beard all in my face. I've tried the triple tree deflector, the snap on HD deflector. Any help in curing the updraft would be greatly appreciated.
I don’t have this issue with the STOCK Road Glide windshield. With any aftermarket I own I do. It’s a pressure thing. With the stock I get clean but a bit noisy air with my FF Helmet straight in the face. Why? It’s punching a damn clean hole in oncoming wind. I also don’t get that pressure thump like my taller shields cause. I believe the MOCO designed the aero package with the FF helmeted rider in mind but that’s my belief. The Rushmore fairing was exclusively redesigned in 2015. My entire noggin is in the wind and I get virtually zero buffeting with all vents open. Windshields are a trade off. Personally I have three different heights and the taller the shield the greater the updraft. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Lowers made all the difference for me. I had the 14" Sportflare and wear a FF. Zero updrafts and Zero buffeting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts