Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One of those @&#* damn it moments....

I was swapping my new seat out today and taking off the strap for the passenger seat. There is that chrome mount the strap is wrapped around. You have to remove the forward saddle bag support ( guess that's what you call it) to remove the strap moubt. Busted the bolt for the saddle bag mount hand tightening that saddle bag support back on. Wonder what that's gonna cost me to get the busted bolt removed. Snapped the head right off the bolt. One of those @&#* damn it moments.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Get a set of easy outs and remove it yourself. If you can use a drill, you will be able to get that broken bolt out.

·
Registered
177 Posts
You know anyone who arc or tig welds. Just tack a smaller diameter bolt on it. It will come right out. A lot easier than drilling and easy out method.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Left side. I will have to see how far it went in. Didn't think about that thou. Good idea. Not sure how much room i have with the tire on the other side. I live in a apt so it's a pain in the @$$ breaking to much stuff down in my parking lot. Plus I will need a looooong extension cord I'm sure to drill that dude out. I'm sure my cordless drill won't go near fast enough to drill out.

But I could probably spend $20 on a tap set at harbor freight. I hate not having a garage makes life so much more complicated in this hobby when I like doing all this stuff myself.

·
Registered
690 Posts
It seems like the simple stuff like this always becomes a small nightmare.
Why I dont know... its my MO for sure. :p Youll get it out, Im sure.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thoughts on this...

So here is a little more detail. Debating if I should just let the dealer take this bolt out or run to harbor frieght and get a extractor kit and do myself... Here is where the bolt is broken, its a little recessed in the hole. This isnt a actual pic of my fender but one I found on the internet. What I can not tell is, is bolt actually going into the fender there or something else? There chrome piece covers what the actual bolt goes into, in the pic below its black. I tried to feel the inside (by the wheel) of the fender and didnt feel a hole on the other side so I am not sure what this bolt actually going into. See the red circle in the picture.
The head is clean off my bolt and broken shortly after the hole begins.

Attachments

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
69 Posts
+1 on the Ez Out. Your cordless should be more than enough to drill the pilot hole that you need to use the extraction (ez out) bit. It truly is a simple enough task. If you are unsure of how to do it, research some instructions on net. Or ask a buddy for help. Much, much cheaper method than the dealer option

Good luck with it and keep us in the loop. I hate those #*@&#% moments too.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
how hard would it be to extract you think?
If you have a stiff dental pick, and awl, a sharp punch, you hook the end of the bolt and it may actually be spin out quite easily. I don't remember if it has loctite on it or not??
Next try would be a left handed drill bit if you can grab one cheap and quick, hit it with the LH bit and will likely spin out easily.

Or, take teh rear fender off or loose enough to get to the back side of the cast strut. if the hole goes all the way through, hit it with a normal drill and it will likely spin right through.

When you're all done with that, toss that stupid-ass seat strap in the garbage can.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I am heading to harbor frieght first thing tomorrow morning. 12 piece extractor set is on sale for $8.99. Thats alot cheaper than what harley is gonna milk out of me. Did some youtube searchs, seems like it should be easy enough.

·
Registered
54 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This dude came right out. Didn't even have to drill it. Just put a little pressure with a left handed drill but and it spun right out. Thank heavens! So glad I did blow an hour of Harley shop labor on this. Easy $9 drill set from habor freight.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I had one of the Torx head bolts on my clutch cover stripped and had to tap it out. I understand your pain and its a great feeling when it all works out and you did the work yourself!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Often times when the head breaks off a bolt, as long as the threads aren't galled or cross threaded AND if not loctited in place, will come out easily with a left hand drill bit. The head comes off because you mechanically stretched the bolt to the failure point. This is why drilling the head off a stripped torx/allen bolt will almost always come out easily once the head is gone. The mechanical pinch comes from the combined threads and thrust surface of the head of the bolt. Once the head is gone the pinch is gone.

If the bolt breaks cuz it was cross threaded or galled threads things get ugly really quick and is a hamfisted manuevor. These are nightmares to deal with.

·
Registered
172 Posts
EZ outs are way easy to use. Get a decent cordless and you won't believe how easy they work!!

·
Registered
382 Posts
the only problem I had with easy out, is the initial pilot hole. The bold snapped in a way that left the surface uneven and it was hard to drill in the middle of the broken bolt

1 - 20 of 21 Posts