Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are getting to be some very good selections on handlebars for the 15 RoadGlide. I am looking at the Tall Boys from Harley or something similar, but at my age can not have my arms too high.

How hard is it really to replace the bars on a 15 RoadGlide? I asked one dealer and they stated it would take 7 - 8 hours labor, another stated it would take a couple of days to swap them out - they stated it takes a very long time to run the wiring inside the bars.

For those who have made with swap, how hard is it really and any thing to watch out for if I decide to do it myself?

Thanks

·
Registered
593 Posts
I haven't done a '15 Road Glide yet, but will be doing my new one in a couple of weeks. Just ordered the stuff today. For what it's worth, I ordered everything pre-wired and ready to go to save me time.

When swapping over the parts and extending the wires it is a very lengthy process. I've done a Wide Glide and three pre-2015 Road Glides thus far. It's nothing to race through. I normally plan a full weekend because I am changing bars and replacing parts with all chrome at the same time. My one recommendation would be to change the riser bushings to polyurethane at the time you do this.

Good luck, and hopefully somebody that has done a 2015 will chime in.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I installed the BRCustom bars on my 15 RGS. I am in the same boat as you and don't like my arms up for long periods. The BRCustom bars are not any taller than stock, well maybe a inch. I had never replaced bars before I did mine. It took me 3.5 hours. I didn't have to change out any cables so that was probably a time saver. Its really not hard at all now that I look back on it. You know that you could pull the pins on your stock bars and roll them forward and they would be a lot more comfy. That wouldn't take you 20 minutes.

·
Registered
7,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input

·
Registered
253 Posts
I know there are getting to be some very good selections on handlebars for the 15 RoadGlide. I am looking at the Tall Boys from Harley or something similar, but at my age can not have my arms too high.

How hard is it really to replace the bars on a 15 RoadGlide? I asked one dealer and they stated it would take 7 - 8 hours labor, another stated it would take a couple of days to swap them out - they stated it takes a very long time to run the wiring inside the bars.

For those who have made with swap, how hard is it really and any thing to watch out for if I decide to do it myself?

Thanks
Yeah the time estimates they quoted are pure BS. Swapping bars on a 15 with a basic mechanical knowledge should take you 2 - 2 1/2 hours tops. Get the service manual and do them yourself. You can use all the stock wiring and hoses up to 12". 13" will go too but it looks like the hydraulic hoses have some stress at the fitting with them from what I've seen.

Good luck man. Post some pics when you're done.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Do them yourself, easy job to do
I used 1.5" bars, so it makes it really easy to pull wires through!

·
Registered
7,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All, thanks for the replies. I do have a maint manual so if I decide on which bars and if I do change them, I will take and post pics.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just put a pair of 12" KST Outlaws on my 2015 RGS. You can use your stock wiring and lines no problem, plenty long enough. . You do have to pull out the center pin and grind off the pins on the controls for these bars, might not have to on other brands. The bars are 1 1/4 and we were able to pull the wires through no problem. The connectors on the ends of the wire harnesses on the new bikes are small enough to pull through, the TBW has connectors 3/4 of the way in the bars so you disconnect those and pull the long side through and reconnect.
The install took us about 3 hours with a buddy of mine who is a great mechanic doing it for me. Would have been quicker except we accidentally "unclocked" the ignition switch when it was off so he had to spend some time getting that lined up again.
I AM 5'10" and the bars are extremely comfortable for me. I roll them forward a little bit to get away from the wife.

·
Registered
7,562 Posts
Good info here. I'll be changing mine out as well.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Good stuff. My 14' KSTs came in yesterday. Looking forward to installing mine ASAP on my 15 RGS. Not familiar with grinding anything to do this install. I hope the guys at KST didn't mislead me. Talked to them at Daytona last week...

·
Registered
378 Posts
i replaced my bars with new ones in a few hours, beware what the dealers tell you

·
Registered
94 Posts
They want to make it sound like its as time consuming as the pre CAN bus wiring. Do it yourself. 3 hours latter and you will be happy.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I replaced my stock chrome handlebars on my 2015 RGS a few weeks ago with a set of black ones also stock size. Its not hard at all. It took me about 2 hrs and once you do it once you can do it a lot faster. The tricky part was getting the left side control housing off until i figured out how to take the trip/change button off. Overall its not that hard to do. Take the key switch off first. Unscrew the 2 screws on the instrument cluster, and you have access to the 4 bolts holding the handle bars in place.

·
Registered
7,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I'm hoping to swap out the stock bars of my '15RGS for a black Malo in 10" or 12". I, too, don't want to go too much higher than stock. The ergos of the stock bar makes sense with me sitting on my c&c solo seat that sets me back and down a little over 1" each way...very comfy. I just want a little more style...meat-hook style. I'll be paying attention to your installs.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Good info guys. Makes me feel a little better about the install. My biggest worry is getting it all torn apart and not getting it done by the end of the day/night. Don't want to leave the bike out in my overhang without the key assembly put on. I've heard some people talk about having to shave something down. Not sure why. I have the 14" KST outlaws and hope it's going to be pretty simple. I've also seen several people modify the plastic closest to the buttons (cruise etc) on the bars, shaving it down to make it show more of the bars.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Not too bad

You can buy smaller bar clamps from the dealer look nicer and no grinding.did my kst in 3 hours any thing over 12 you will need to extend hydro lines both brake and clutch and there is plug that needs to come apart.all in all not to bad. BTW my dealer wanted 12 hours to do it at 125 each hour! Not cool.

·
Registered
23 Posts
About to order mine. Dealer quoted $800 for 16" and wiring, and said 10 hours to install=$1300. Gonna get them elsewhere and do it myself, especially after your input here. Thanks folks.

·
Registered
590 Posts
The dealers are crazt

Paid 250.00 for kst outlaws 12 " stainless steal in satin black a few dollors for the smaller control clamps 3 hours 6 pack of cold ones and my neighbor.love it! now if I get some good weather I could ride it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You can buy smaller bar clamps from the dealer look nicer and no grinding.did my kst in 3 hours any thing over 12 you will need to extend hydro lines both brake and clutch and there is plug that needs to come apart.all in all not to bad. BTW my dealer wanted 12 hours to do it at 125 each hour! Not cool.

The guy at the KST booth at daytona (right outside J&P) said that the 14 outlaws are doable without extending any lines at all. I hope he didn't fib. He had the 14s on a 15 RGS just like mine. Black and all. I ordered the bars after I got home bc I liked them so much on his bike. My debate now is about the pins I'm reading about having to remove. Thanks for all the info! I really appreciate it. I'll post pics of mine when done. I also am going to have to find some of the smaller bar clamps like others have. I don't want to shave mine down and end up messing them up. I'm sure they would have to be painted afterwards due to shaving the factory ones down...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts