Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped into the local dealership for lunch to have them appraise my 2007 yamaha roadstar silverado. The 2013 RG Ultra was just sitting there and my concern about the weight prompted the dealer to threw me the Yellow safety Jacket w/ a license plate on the back.:eek:

I had the opportunity to test ride both a 2015 Electra Glide Ultra and the 2013 RG Ultra. To my surprise the Road Glide won hands down. Plus the heat of a noonday Tampa day and the traffic air seemed to circulate better while I was on the RG. The Electra glide had the Ultra bells and whistles {touch screen and cool vent in the fairing} However in my opinion the Road Glide just fit the unique style and comfort level I was expecting.

The touring segment is different from the my current cruiser style I'm living with. There are some accessories that will have to be fitted to the Road Glide [ 1st thing to be up graded is the suspension, the nose dive under braking has to go. Followed by a set of slip-ons ]. The plus side has everything to do with the 6&6 (6speed tranny and 6 Gal tank) vs (5speed and 4.x gallon tank that is only good for 103 mile before I have to switch to reserve )

I will miss the complete confidence gained while riding the Roadstar I have AAA and the HD family is close from what I've noticed.

On a side note that 2015 entertainment center is busy and overwhelming to even attempt to setup while riding.

Sorry for the long post but I want to put my real thoughts out where I can get real feedback.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Welcome to the tank. You will find that Road Glides *eat* miles. Some improvements (suspension, for example) as you note make it even better.

Never understood the fear people have with the weight of the bike. Balancing at a stop is pretty simple, and not much different with a lighter bike, and when you roll, its not an issue, but what the hell do I know.

Regardless, congrats, and enjoy safely.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Tazman, my last 3 bikes were metric bikes, all Kawasaki Vulcans. All 3 of my Vulcans were great bikes, I put allot of miles on them but I have no regrets on purchasing my 15 roadglide. I absolutely love this bike. It handles great, especially at slow speeds, and is smooth as can be as soon as you give it some gas. Needless to say aftermarket support and accessories available are outstanding. And coming from metric bikes and metric dealers I am amazed at the customer support from my local Harley dealership.

·
Super Moderator
4,609 Posts
Welcome from SoCal. Now you've gone and done it lol. The test ride is gonna cost you. It will be worth it for sure though. The RG handles well in the City and out on the Highway. Especially after few upgrades which you acknowledged. Good luck with you purchase :D

·
Super Moderator
13,070 Posts
Welcome from Florida, you'll like going 200 miles before thinking about fuel, (at least on the highway ), slip ons are everywhere, and progressive monotubes will take care of the front end.

·
Registered
337 Posts
RG Gotcha

Welcome to the other side.

You will love the RG, it handles well in any circumstance. I just put the Progressive fork tubes in my 2013 and tested it out on the roads of Sunny Florida last week. The ride is much better and the whole bike feels more solid.

Good luck and congrats.:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks you all. from TazMan

This is looking to be my new hang out, Hell I just found one in Zieglerville, Pennsylvania calculated that the trip home would be a 4.5 gas stop trip. Iron But dreams already. Damn with all there replies the journey has started.

First of many question none the less, Is this legit http://www.amazon.com/Black-Vented-Fairing-Harley-Electra/dp/B00CWMRZEI and how important are they. I mean I see them being a must have on long hauls especially if ride in the rain.

Seriously this is like have it your way and like it too.:D

·
Registered
2011 RGU
2,134 Posts
Welcome from Indiana. If you are going to hang out in the tank a lot you better have a big checkbook!!!!

·
Registered
538 Posts
This is looking to be my new hang out, Hell I just found one in Zieglerville, Pennsylvania calculated that the trip home would be a 4.5 gas stop trip. Iron But dreams already. Damn with all there replies the journey has started.

First of many question none the less, Is this legit http://www.amazon.com/Black-Vented-Fairing-Harley-Electra/dp/B00CWMRZEI and how important are they. I mean I see them being a must have on long hauls especially if ride in the rain.

Seriously this is like have it your way and like it too.:D
What are you asking about the lowers? They should have already been on the RGU

·
Registered
372 Posts
What are you asking about the lowers? They should have already been on the RGU

I agree. My '13 RGU came with lowers. If you buy the '13 from the dealer make sure they discount the price considerably from the '15 you test drove and inclued lowers. You didn't say if it was a used '13 or a left over unsold RGU. Either way it should be considerable cheaper than the '15. I can't say from personal experience, but several on this forum have said the new fairings with the "slot" have less wind buffeting than the older fairings like those on the '13. However, there are several modifications you can make to the '13 windshielf, ie spacers, Madstad or other brands that will greatly decrease the buffeting on the '13 RGU. BTW, I agree about the difference in weight. The RGU is considerably more top heavy than my '00 Heritage. However, as Hellinabucket said, once you get it moving the bike is perfectly balanced. Let us know what your decision ends up being.

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
On the Fence but my took a test ride today Reload this Page

IMO, you will enjoy the Road Glide better.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Maybe he looked at a 2013 RG Custom. Didn't HD still made a Custom in 13, and it didn't have lowers, right???

If it was me, I'd go back and see if what kind of a deal they would make you on a 2015 Road Glide. There's more to it than just the fairing redesign. Bigger forks (that don't dive as much) linked ABS brakes, nicer switches, etc.

Nothing against the older bikes, I still love my 2009. But if I was making the switch from metric to HD, I'd go for the latest and greatest. JMHO...

·
Registered
538 Posts
Maybe he looked at a 2013 RG Custom. Didn't HD still made a Custom in 13, and it didn't have lowers, right???

If it was me, I'd go back and see if what kind of a deal they would make you on a 2015 Road Glide. There's more to it than just the fairing redesign. Bigger forks (that don't dive as much) linked ABS brakes, nicer switches, etc.

Nothing against the older bikes, I still love my 2009. But if I was making the switch from metric to HD, I'd go for the latest and greatest. JMHO...
Very possible, but he said RGU. Very easily confused when you start learning the HD Alphabet :)

Getting the 15 comes at a price, OP will have to decide if that price is worth it. :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Tazman, my last 3 bikes were metric bikes, all Kawasaki Vulcans. All 3 of my Vulcans were great bikes, I put allot of miles on them but I have no regrets on purchasing my 15 roadglide. I absolutely love this bike. It handles great, especially at slow speeds, and is smooth as can be as soon as you give it some gas. Needless to say aftermarket support and accessories available are outstanding. And coming from metric bikes and metric dealers I am amazed at the customer support from my local Harley dealership.
Taz, my history is similar to yours. Two Vulcans ('02 1500 Classic & '05 Nomad). After 6 years on the Nomad, I rented a RG just because my buddy rode a Harley. After that, the Nomad felt like a tank, and I had to make a change.

Have 51,000 on my '12 RGU now, and expect to pass 70,000 by the end of this year. It's a terrific bike.

·
Registered
875 Posts
damn you, bringing up the suspension upgrade (haven't done it yet - 2 in college). Sounds like you are on the road to an RG, you will not regret it. HD was my first touring bike, metrics prior, I am hooked. the balance of the RGU surprised me as well as sold me on buying it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hope these pics clears my concern about the lowers

Must be a Deal Ad miss print

See no Lower fairing:D

How come the Brown is such a popular color for used Road Glides

Like the set up however the BROWN :eek:

Looks to have slip-ons also:

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
I'd go with the '13. A lot less miles for $1k more. Just tell them they better find the lowers or supply a color matched set for it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts