Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know why, for the most part, companies that sale AMPs for use on the BOOM Radio state to have the radio flashed? The AMP I added recommends 8 speakers on, AMP 1 & 2 off as an example (they listed the speakers as: Upper Fairing/Lower Fairing/Saddle Bags/Rear Pod Speakers installed). Got to be a reason for it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You're going to get a few different answers on this. I think.
My dealer said that the 15 RGS only comes with 2 speakers so the HU will only recognize 2. So if you plan on adding speakers, the flash is required.
I've also heard from users that if you add an amp a flash is required.
The word; "required," to me, means; MUST.
I upgraded my speakers and added a Kenwood Amp to my 15 RGS and just followed the instructions. NO FLASH. My system operates as normal, sounds louder and clearer than it did before. Maybe it depends on the amp?? IDK.
I think what you're going to have to do is just do your upgrade, see how it sounds, if you're satisfied, great. If not, flash it.

·
Registered
7,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're going to get a few different answers on this. I think.
My dealer said that the 15 RGS only comes with 2 speakers so the HU will only recognize 2. So if you plan on adding speakers, the flash is required.
I've also heard from users that if you add an amp a flash is required.
The word; "required," to me, means; MUST.
I upgraded my speakers and added a Kenwood Amp to my 15 RGS and just followed the instructions. NO FLASH. My system operates as normal, sounds louder and clearer than it did before. Maybe it depends on the amp?? IDK.
I think what you're going to have to do is just do your upgrade, see how it sounds, if you're satisfied, great. If not, flash it.
Thanks for the reply. I had already upgraded to different speakers and than added an AMP. I have just the two speakers and do not plan on adding any other speakers at this time.

·
Registered
209 Posts
there are several reasons for the flash

• disable the DSP built into these head units that modifies part of the audio spectrum so you're not getting the full spectrum but only a portion of it.
  • to enable/disable fading ability
  • to enable/disable speaker outputs

What seems to work best for aftermarket (Not J&M with their DSP amp) is what Bill and his team at RF discovered in working with HD and flashing the radio for

8 speakers
amp 1 off
amp 2 off
enable fader

this opens the head unit up for all viable uses without having to return to the dealer again when you change or add something to your setup. You want the DSP disabled as it counteracts with any bass/treble/crossover frequency adjustments/etc. on these aftermarket amps. Keep in the back of your mind what HD is trying to do here with this and it's no different than tuning. They're simply trying to make it to where you have to return to the HD dealer to have anything done to your bikes.

·
Registered
354 Posts
It's hard to believe that no one has the software to flash the HK radio except Harley, and even some dealors don't know haw to do it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
It's hard to believe that no one has the software to flash the HK radio except Harley, and even some dealors don't know haw to do it.
Hell, the MoCo doesn't know enough about it to instruct the techs.

I was reading that the digital tech tool to do it was like 10 grand and the MoCo keeps all the info and updates top secret. The dealer has to link it up to the mothership on a regular basis or it becomes useless.

·
Registered
7,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I added Hawg Wire RS400 AMP and already had new speakers in the bike. I had the HU flashed to 8 speakers / AMP 1&2 on, per the directions of Twin-V Audio. I called them after the flash and followed their suggestions on gain/freq settings and happy so far. I will give the settings a few more rides to see if I want to adjust anything a bit. Happy with the setup so far.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I added Hawg Wire RS400 AMP and already had new speakers in the bike. I had the HU flashed to 8 speakers / AMP 1&2 on, per the directions of Twin-V Audio. I called them after the flash and followed their suggestions on gain/freq settings and happy so far. I will give the settings a few more rides to see if I want to adjust anything a bit. Happy with the setup so far.
amp 1 and 2 on or did you mean off?

·
Registered
7,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
? on Why A Radio Flash on Boom Radios Reload this Page

amp 1 and 2 on or did you mean off?
When I talked with them, they stated AMP 1/2 on. They also stated that after the flash was done I could check that setting by seeing of the "fader" option was now available under the setting tab. I check the "fader" option before having the flash done and did not have that option. I checked after the flash and now it is available. I realize the fader will not work, they also mentioned that as well.

·
Registered
209 Posts
interesting.. goes against everything I know and also what RF recommends in their testing with HD.

Wonder if this amp, don't know much about it, has built in mechanisms to deal with the HD - DSP stuff that prefers the amp1 and amp2 setting be turned on. :confused:

·
Registered
7,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
interesting.. goes against everything I know and also what RF recommends in their testing with HD.

Wonder if this amp, don't know much about it, has built in mechanisms to deal with the HD - DSP stuff that prefers the amp1 and amp2 setting be turned on. :confused:
I am confused as well when everyone here indicated the AMPs would be off. I thought maybe I misunderstood, but I asked them 3 or 4 times. I double check myself in looking for the fade to show up, which it did. So for it is working, but I am wondering why the difference.

·
JMJOHN
1,039 Posts
when the amps are turned on for the Harley flash, it reduces dramatically the signal output from the stock Harley radio, along with the deep bass response ,,,,

if there is a wide enough gain control range inside the amp you are using, you might be able to compensate for that completely as far as volume is concerned, but the loss of bass response is significant and noticeable with the Harley Flash Menu "amps on" ,,,,,,

·
Registered
209 Posts
when the amps are turned on for the Harley flash, it reduces dramatically the signal output from the stock Harley radio, along with the deep bass response ,,,,

if there is a wide enough gain control range inside the amp you are using, you might be able to compensate for that completely as far as volume is concerned, but the loss of bass response is significant and noticeable with the Harley Flash Menu "amps on" ,,,,,,
my train of thought as well..

·
Registered
7,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Thanks for the info, in my case I do not use much base before I added the AMP. I did adjust the gain and so far it is working fine. If I find that I need more base, I am fortunate to have a Harley dealer that only charges about $20, so I can get them to turn the AMPs off, but leave the rest.

·
Registered
7,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ad when you turn the amps OFF, make sure that you lower the gain control just a bit on the R/F amp, so that you don't overdrive the speakers at 1/2 volume ,,,,
Thanks for the info, if I have them turn the AMPs off, I will lower the gain before hand. Test it on the way home and adjust if needed from there.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ok I work at a HD dealership and pluged the DT into my 2015 RG to check the settings on the radio and amp 1 and amp 2 are off from the factory . Not going to add a amp and speakers just yet , just want to be able to hear music clearly it's doing what everybody is talking about washout the tone fades in and out . I installed the latest software 18.3 didn't help , should I go back and turn the amps on will this help ?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts