Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Boys...:cool:

I joined the RG Forums a couple of weeks ago and introduced myself then. Very friendly bunch of guys (and gals) here. I decided to join for that reason, along with the bigger reason that.....drumroll....my wife and I just bought a new 2020 RGL. The decision was actually pretty tough. We both like the ride and looks of the batwing, and my wife especially favored the looks. The dealers we visited were generally noncommittal on which one they thought was better. All but one that is, and that group of guys were enthusiastically pro-Shark all the way. So we did a test ride and comparison. And after much discussion and thinking, we decided change can be good. Road Glide Limited it would be. The bike...a raw diamond dressed in basic black:

IMG_0572.jpg
IMG_0573.jpg

Now....this is just the tip of the iceberg. What really got this snowball rolling was seeing some custom builds from the same dealer. Mrs StoneTrekker liked the paint-work and general better lines of the customs. I was pretty surprised because she's generally not worried about such things but her endorsement made this deal a lot easier. We got busy studying accessories, upgrades, paint and parts replacement. It took months but we got 90% of it figured out and made a deal on the build. I plan to give y'all the details on the build plans later, so hopefully stay tuned.

I will readily admit we both had strong attachments to our '17 UL and it wasn't just a piece of iron to trade or sell. That bike had shown us some great times and we had many hours and miles of enjoyment tied to its memory.

IMG_4294.jpg

Knowing its days with us were almost over, we scheduled a trip to NC and TN for one last ride. The Rattler, The Foothills Parkway, The Cherohala Skyway, The Blue Ridge Parkway and lots of other great roads rolled under our wheels in a week of October riding.....

IMG_0463.jpg
IMG_0416.jpg
IMG_0512.jpg
IMG_1361.jpg
IMG_1392.jpg
IMG_0488.jpg
IMG_0494.jpg

The rains finally came and we headed home. Our next trip wouldn't involve riding. We would be loading our '17 into the trailer and heading 7 hours to the dealer. Meetings to discuss the build, paint, etc were planned.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On Oct 21 we loaded the UL and headed east.

IMG_0401.jpg
IMG_0396.jpg

The run to the dealership was pretty uneventful and we made it by 4:30. I backed the bike out of the trailer and one of the service guys drove it away. I looked at my wife and said "That's the first time I've ever seen anybody but us ride our bike...it feels so weird". I looked at her and saw tears....I think my nose got itchy about then, lol.

Because it was near closing time and we were road weary, I dropped the trailer at the dealership and we headed to find our hotel. We would be back tomorrow to go over some things with the dealership and make certain things were on track.

By the way...I haven't identified the dealership mainly because I don't know if the forum owner is okay with naming them on here. I don't want to inadvertently break any rules. Thanks.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'm a Georgia native and have ridden the same roads you listed except for the Rattler. Truly great riding in the SE!!

I think you'll like the RG just as much and the extra dash storage at your fingertips finds a way to be useful to you. Congrats again! Keep up the chronicles.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I'm not ever one to be attached to a motorcycle but my first Harley was a Road Glide back in 2012 and had that bike for 4 years then traded it in for a 16 softail slim then a 17 road king special but in 2018 when we traded those bikes in for a 2019 RGS the wife and I both looked at each other and agreed no more other bike except a Road Glide or unless it's a second bike. I think we both are more attached to the memories we gained while owning it.

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to "The Tank"

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm sort of a photo-bug and usually think pictures are worth a couple thousand words. Here are some photos (of bike parts) which really opened our eyes to what was being done by custom painters. I wasn't really in love with the exact colors and style, but I recognized the talent and skill involved. Keep in mind we're not trying to build an L.A. street scene big-wheel....our bike is being 100% built to ride and enjoy. Anyway, the pics....

IMG_0213.jpg
IMG_0214.jpg
IMG_0216.jpg
IMG_0220.jpg
IMG_0223.jpg

So after seeing this paint set (and then some others) we began really discussing a custom. Believe it or not, this got started last summer 2019 and it's taken us this long to commit. We're admittedly not impulsive and are very deliberate about big decisions. I think the dealership must've wondered if we'd ever reach the point of saying "yes".

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Great looking paint scheme but it’s got the wrong fairing on it LOL!!!!!
Looking forward to the photos of Your Custom Shark when it’s completed.
Best of Luck!
Mike U.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The initial custom work planned: The dealership is going to remove (and use) several items from our trade. This includes a bunch of Slipstream chrome, like rider and passenger footboards and mounts, mirrors, shifter pegs, brake pad, highway pegs and mounts, and more. Also, the Softbrake pedal and rider footboard relocation mounts. Then there’s the adjustable rider backrest and mount, XM module, and WHIM module. All this will be going on the new bike, and all of it is in pristine condition.

The new bike will be getting a set of Factory 47 bars (12”) in chrome, and we’re replacing the stock grips with chrome Kahuna heated grips. Stock wheels are coming off and getting replaced with all-chrome Aggressor wheels and a different front tire. Chrome brake rotors are going on of course. Front end (forks) are getting chrome upper and lower sliders, plus changing the fork fluid for better dampening.

We’ve decided to stay with stock suspension initially and evaluate the ride. If needed, we’ll make changes a bit later. Same with the stock seat. After the final seat decision is made, we will be getting it and the tour pak backrest customized with an all-leather covering and custom stitching. I’ve seen the results of this work and it’s phenomenal.

After much consideration I’m going to have the stock tank dash/console replaced with a Jim Nasi unit and flush fuel cap. The console will be custom painted. I’m tired of having the big chrome manhole cover blinding me when the sun is overhead. Staying with a stock front fender but replacing the rear with a Top Shop CVO fender and H-D extended saddlebags. Getting rid of the radio antenna and going hidden on that. Standard luggage rack is history and going with the Air Wing rack and led light bar.

·
Registered
2019 RGS, Fullsac exhaust, S&S stealth AC, TTS tuner.
901 Posts
Wow I like where you are going with this. Looking forward to the pictures of the finished product. Harley paint schemes are usually pretty good but nothing beats a custom paint job.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the new ride. Enjoy the transformation with the mods you have planned and of course the future ones too. Great pics BTW.

Reactions: StoneTrekker

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Speaking of lights, we plan to add some rear enhancements from Custom Dynamics including the low profile sequential bag lights and a tour pak light bar on top of the lid. I’ll be changing out the stock front turn signals to CD halo inserts, and planning to add the CD bezel lights and vent screens up front. I’ll likely also add led windshield trim lights. We definitely believe in lots of light on both ends. Without a doubt the stock shield will get immediately retired in favor of a smoked Freedom Shield with recurve.

Because I’m not really THAT interested in major engine upgrades....yet....I’ve decided to simply go stage 1 with a HD Ventilator breather and HD tuner. Pipes are going to be 4.5 Khrome Werks with tracer tips.

No changes to the sound system initially, but that is definitely on the list. I have a lot of studying and research to do in this area. Next up is the hardest decision of all....paint.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Nice to see that both of you are sharing the decisions, riding, ...
I'm a bit envious. Nice pics too. How is that luggage rack bag? Been looking for the right one.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice to see that both of you are sharing the decisions, riding, ...
I'm a bit envious. Nice pics too. How is that luggage rack bag? Been looking for the right one.
Thanks. Yes...we're definitely a team and the riding experience is as much hers as mine. This summer I'd say 97% of the miles on our (now traded) bike were 2-up. I really want her to enjoy this new ride we're building.

We like that rack bag. It's nothing tremendous but fits nicely and is very secure. We tried a Saddlemen bag and sent it back due to a poor attachment design. Before buying a rack bag I'd suggest measuring your rack width (front to rear) at the bottom where the bag will sit. Some bags don't fit in/on some racks like the Air Wing.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Paint: This is where things got harder for me. We spent a lot of time online searching out custom paint on the bigger Harleys. I think I used about every possible search term and I copied hundreds of images into a folder on the pc. Over weeks and months of this we were finally able to begin identifying specific design ideas and details we liked. Gradually the pictures got thinned down to a few dozen, and a theme emerged. We had a pretty good idea of the colors we wanted from the outset, but even this changed somewhat as we evaluated paint colors and imagined the results on our bike. This was one area where I felt like things had to be done right the very first time. Truly custom paint is expensive and do-overs make everyone unhappy. In any event, we ended up communicating our preferences to the dealership via some printed images as well as a flash drive holding pictures and notes.

Below are some of the images. Keep in mind these are generally not the colors....just certain design aspects. Our bike will have no orange, blue, bright silver, etc.

70264152_2305950686334811_1291044036483743744_o.jpg
IMG_0322.jpg
IMG_0310.jpg
IMG_0325.jpg
IMG_0311.jpg
IMG_0617.jpg
116347136_2590721294524414_8651077936328160936_o.jpg
71332742_2305950659668147_3265075735177461760_o.jpg
IMG_0603.jpg
IMG_0327.jpg

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Our initial discussion of paint scheme and colors (at dealer) seemed to go a little off-track for me. It was probably mostly me and my limited understanding of paint and design. I left feeling a bit unsure about how well the dealership understood what we both wanted. My wife was there for the entire meeting and she agreed there was a definite communication gap. The good thing that came from it was an invitation to meet the man who would be doing our paint work. He would be at the dealership in 5 days to deliver a couple paint sets and pick up some parts...including ours...to take back to his shop. I knew another 7 hour drive to the dealer would be a hassle, but the importance of this couldn't be underestimated.

I wrapped up my work day early on Tuesday and headed east. On Wednesday morning I was at the dealership at 8:30 am. While waiting on the painter to arrive I actually ended up helping an employee move my bike's parts to the pick-up area. And I'm here to tell you a Road Glide Limited has a LOT of individual parts to paint. I was surprised to say the least.

At 11:30 the paint guy arrived. I watched as a couple paint sets were unloaded. I couldn't conceal a smile when the dealer (Ken) had me check out a couple parts. This paint guy is for real. He also delivered a custom seat and tour pak backrest. These were done in 2 shades of leather and stitched with contrasting red thread. Amazing work. Finally, I got my time with the painter. Chris Fox turned out to be a really great guy, and very easy to talk with. He reviewed my images and notes....asked me a ton of questions....and then we looked at several bikes he'd painted. We talked colors and got that firmed up. Best of all was this: Chris stated he would do a series of design drawings for our bike and email those to us for review and approval. Nothing gets paint until the design is settled...very comforting. I don't consider myself a total control freak, but it's really important to us to have this bike be ours and our vision....and also to let the painter have freedom to be an artist. In the end it has to be a collaboration of minds; his, ours and the dealer. That's how you end up with something unique and special.

While definitely not what we're looking for, here are some recent examples of Chris' work:

IMG_0173 (1).jpg
IMG_0177.jpg
IMG_0278.jpg
IMG_0605.jpg

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
So what exactly are the colors you want? These paint schemes would work for me.
Those are definitely great designs, I agree. They just aren't what we want. In looking at custom paint ideas we've seen a lot of repetitive colors and obviously orange is one of them...not on our list.

Our primary color will be a very dark metallic charcoal. The secondary color will be a medium metallic gray. The graphic color will be a red...most likely bright candy red. We're sort of 'less is more' people, so definitely not going for a hugely bright and colorful bike. The red will be enough to do the design without being too dominant or distracting.

These images will hopefully give people an idea of the general colors. The top of our bike will be charcoal metallic. The medium gray is similar. I believe 'our' red will be a little bit deeper and have the candy appearance. Again, this design isn't what we're doing. There's no good way to show that because it's yet to be actually finalized.
IMG_0250.jpg
IMG_0625.jpg
IMG_0617.jpg

·
Registered
2019 RGS, Fullsac exhaust, S&S stealth AC, TTS tuner.
901 Posts
I think those colors are going to look great. I am a big fan of the metallic colors. And the red will make a great accent. I really like it with my grey and black.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the comments. I feel pretty good about the color choices, too. One of the things we wanted to avoid was the simple red & gray theme....too much like a college sports team if you follow. The goal is to build a bike (including paint) that isn’t too wild or too mild....not garish or tiresome...and will be something we enjoy riding for a good many years. Chris Fox was very good at listening, and then asking questions. I’m 100% confident he’s going to give us a superb custom look which will endure.

Considering the riding season in Ohio is almost over, I figure to not be in a hurry and will use the winter to get our new ride completed. Chris surprised me when he said there was a good chance he’d have to paint completed in something like 3 or 4 weeks. I’ll update this thread as things progress.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 70 Posts