Road Glide banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Hey StoneTrekker- Welcome to the forum and thanks for bringing us along for you and your wife's next journeys with your new ride. I really dig how you included us on your last ride on the Batwing and now I am hooked on the new bike's evolution. Should prove to be a good winter read for all of us.

Screamin'

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Sincere thanks guys. I’m just glad to have an opportunity to own a completely custom RGL, AND be able to document how it all happened. I completely owe my wife a huge amount of the credit....she’s a totally amazing woman in many ways. It’s been really cool to see how involved she is in getting this bike right for us.

I should add it’s a semi-miracle I’m even able to ride. At age 13 I wrecked my first bike and suffered an abdominal injury. Nobody knew it happened and I was off-road. I was going in and out of consciousness and unable to walk. After about an hour I was able to collect myself enough to get the bike up and started. I limped it home and went to bed. My family finally figured out this was more than a ‘boy got the wind knocked outta him’ deal and took me to a local doctor. My next ride was in a station wagon ambulance to the hospital and rushed into surgery. They split me the length of my belly and removed a broken and bleeding spleen. They also repaired my lacerated liver. I obviously survived it and finally went home weeks later. Of course you know something as minor as almost dying wasn’t about to keep me off 2 wheels. I was back riding before summer ended....and here I am today.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Just a quick update note. Today I received some design drawings from the painter (Chris) and we exchanged some thoughts via text. I can tell you it’s really tough for me to visualize a design as a completed bike. This is why I went with (and spent considerable money) on an experienced dealer who uses only extremely talented painters. Anyway, Chris and I refined a few things about this bike’s paint design.

One of the important things for me is to be sure we get the overall proportions of colors right. Some guys like lots of wildly bright graphic color all over the bike. We’re not that way and we want to be sure this bike is predominantly dark while using the right amount (and tone) of red for the graphic effect. The following 2 pictures are a bike Chris painted. The colors aren’t exactly right...nor the design...but they do give a good idea of the proportional color we’re after. Obviously the degree of talent here is really inspiring.

CD12CBE3-814B-4F28-84D0-B627F8B0435B.jpeg
D120A0C3-0EA6-46D3-A414-4B0F4C63491B.jpeg

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
My apology for putting up pics of a batwing bike...I'm still not sure if that's considered a faux pas in the tank.

I'll reiterate that I'm definitely building a RGL, and hope not to cause any confusion.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
No apologies needed. There’s plenty of pics of other models and Brands posted here. Good paint schemes are good inspiration and appreciated. Of course always debatable as well .. beauty being in the eye of the beholder lol. I like the direction you and the Wife are headed and look forward to the outcome.

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
Like mjsdouble (Kenny) stated, no apologies needed.
You're just trying to define how You and The Mrs. would like Your Glide to look.
Thanks for taking Us All along We are definitely looking forward to "The Outcome".
Mike U.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thanks for the reinforcement. Couple other things to note: The pic above shows some red/orange in the wheels which I don't care for. Our bike is a chrome RGL and will have all-chrome wheels. I also requested candy red for the red in our design. I considered a solid red but decided against it, knowing it would be quite a bit brighter. This is candy red sprayed over a base of sliver:

IMG_0617 - Copy.jpg

We've also decided to go with 100% smoked lights everywhere, so we don't have red lenses competing with red graphics. I'm getting more excited, as I believe some paint is probably going on this week. In a couple more weeks the parts should be ready for transport back to the dealer.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I dont know about anybody else. But I am jealous as fuck!

Thank you for taking us on this journey with you.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
I had it pegged for a Ken Barner dealership fairly quick. They do some amazing builds. Quantico or one of the others? Your plate kinda looks.like ours in Ohio.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I had it pegged for a Ken Barner dealership fairly quick. They do some amazing builds. Quantico or one of the others? Your plate kinda looks.like ours in Ohio.
Good observation. I hadn't named the actual dealership simply because I'm new to this forum and didn't want to look like I was shilling for them. I'm actually working primarily with Stonewall H-D in Orange, VA. It's a Barner-owned dealership. My contact with Ken (who runs Quantico H-D) has been mostly limited to setting up the paint decisions. Yes...I completely agree on the quality of their builds. I've really enjoyed working with the guys at Stonewall H-D...an older facility with tons of history and appeal. Anyway....once the paint work is completed, the parts will be delivered back to Stonewall where the actual build will happen.

Couple pictures I've taken of their builds. Not necessarily designs I'd want for myself, but very cool nonetheless.

IMG_0243.jpg
IMG_0663.jpg

And yes....we are Ohioans. Southeast to be more specific...just in case anyone likes to ride where traffic is light and roads are challenging. :cool:

·
Registered
2008 FLTRU 105th Anniversary w/ 110"
1,200 Posts
I am really looking forward to seeing the final colour scheme. C'mon, c'mon..... ;)

·
Shark of the Month October 13
8,503 Posts
First, welcome to both of you to the best HD forum on the web. It sounds like you'll both fit right into things here at RG.org. Relax and don't worry about any perceived protocols here, no one here will jump all over you for whatever you say, we're the kinder, gentler HD forum. lol I love the amount of enthusiasm and planning you're both contributing to your new bike build, and I can't wait to see your final paint design. The color palette you've chosen sounds really terrific. The one thing we're all sure of is that you'll love your RGL - the best touring bike that HD makes. Enjoy.

Reactions: StoneTrekker

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
And yes....we are Ohioans. Southeast to be more specific...just in case anyone likes to ride where traffic is light and roads are challenging. :cool:
I'm north of you either up 77 or 800.

Agree 100% on riding in southern Ohio. Let's keep that a secret. Less traffic that way.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Well.....😃,

Chris sent me some very early paint pictures this morning. We had some discussion about what I was seeing. The photos were taken indoors under less than ideal lighting. Nothing has been clear coated, which will definitely affect the final look of every color. There are additional fades, shadows and ghost effects yet to happen. The bottom line is these pictures are only a general idea of where things are going.

BE9C6DE5-6965-4F51-AC3C-0C917026042A.jpeg
9BE03B6A-589C-4C27-AF0D-5759125E9649.jpeg
6998A829-FA10-4C01-94C0-38E972148508.jpeg
F2D69357-1AEA-4E0F-A63A-7F1A9A57E3AC.jpeg
DB26AE3C-D08E-433D-B591-DEABC2DD5308.jpeg

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
You’re not gonna have any trouble finding your “Black” Limited in a parking lot. This is going to be well worth the wait. Loving wait I see so far, looking forward to seeing more.

·
8,503 Posts
It'll look sweet. If you don't mind saying, what's the current day ballpark cost of a custom paint job (minus upholstery) similar to what you're getting? Just curious to see if the price has gone up much in the last couple years.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
It'll look sweet. If you don't mind saying, what's the current day ballpark cost of a custom paint job (minus upholstery) similar to what you're getting? Just curious to see if the price has gone up much in the last couple years.
I did quite a bit of research on custom paint and prices prior to setting out on this adventure. What I learned was pretty interesting. A very basic (but professional) paint job on a big bagger (including lowers and tour pak) runs about $3k. A lot of the price goes into the sanding and pre-paint prep of every piece. A decent custom starts above $3k typically and easily goes to $5k+. The higher quality and more involved jobs start at $5k and the sky’s the limit. A lot of it has to do with the exact colors chosen and specialized techniques required. I was quoted $5k for my bike and think its reasonable. Consider that H-D gets several thousand dollars just for their better color schemes.

I decided against doing any paint on the wheels or engine. I don’t like the look of brightly colored wheels. Some paint (powder coat) on certain engine components is nice, just like painting brake calipers can be nice. On the flip side, all that extra paint can make a ride look pretty busy or even over-decorated. We decided to go a little bit conservative in that regard, knowing we can do additional things later if we want.

·
8,503 Posts
Thanks for the cost info, sounds like things have stayed where they were a couple years ago, possibly due to Covid causing people to put off or cancel intended paint jobs due to fear of Covid and/or tight finances due to Covid. That may be keeping the price stable for now. I'm with you when it comes to "less is more" with paint and contrasting colors. There's a fine line between just the right amount of color and having it be garish. Have fun with your build.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts