Road Glide banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
From a cost perspective, we feel we did well. A Scorched Orange / Silver Flux (Black Finish) would've cost us $4100 more than the Vivid Black (Chrome Finish) we started with. For the price difference we get full-on custom paint which will also include the side air deflectors (currently flat black) and inner fairing. We also decided to eliminate the standard gas tank dash console and big chrome manhole cover cap....which constantly blinds me on sunny days. Instead, we're going with a painted Jim Nasi-style dash console and flush fuel cap.

I should say that I do like the look of custom paint done with all-black metal...currently very popular. We discussed it and my bride talked some sense into me. She likes the contrast of chrome against darker paint, and we both agreed we probably would be less happy with black finish after a few years. I would say 9 out of 10 customs being done right now have black finish metal, so we're definitely bucking the current trend.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Quick update: The paint work is completed and all the parts are back at Stonewall. I was told our bike is on the rack and getting reassembled. Some parts are on back order and may hold up completion but that’s of no concern now with winter at hand. I’ve seen a few additional images but it’s pretty obvious the Stonewall folks want to get the bike finished and then let us see the total package. No completion date indicated, but we’re thinking around early to mid December.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
And of course there had to be a series of hiccups somewhere in this project. I discovered the dealer had somehow omitted the custom painted Jim Nasi fuel tank console and reinstalled the big chrome oe unit....which I simply can’t tolerate at all. So no big deal apparently.... that piece will be acquired and painted to match. I received some pretty cool pictures of the unfinished bike today and those clued me into a few other things that needed addressed. I suppose this is the point where I need to pick the details some and be SURE nothing gets ignored. But the pics are looking nice.

·
Shark of the Month October 13
8,503 Posts
#Stone Trekker

Shit, just have your builder send a full set of pics to us so that we can see what it looks like. Of course we'll have to ban you from the site for a few weeks until after you've seen it in person ...... wouldn't want you sneaking a peek!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I called the dealership today and spoke with the manager about a few issues and questions regarding the progress on our bike. A couple of paint items didn’t happen....probably just a matter of miscommunication. Those are getting done in the coming weeks. I was particularly careful to let them know I’m not upset....just following up to be sure we get what we expect. Everything went great and we’re feeling confident.

Some pictures from the build in progress:

013A6E02-D8FF-4769-8983-66AD30563AE4.jpeg
DB77EFFE-C1FA-4787-8897-C37F1AD0729B.jpeg

The Top Shop CVO fender.....what do you think?

E5448DB4-F8F0-4382-9D7E-85D180144D2B.jpeg

With H-D extended bags, pipes and more...you can see where the finished look is headed.

1566106B-8757-4F05-AC1C-B9307D5B2251.jpeg

More images later.

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
Your Glide is shaping up nicely.
Congrats.
Mike U.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
8,503 Posts
Lookin' good. I'd chose the chrome trim f it was mine. Looks like it'll soon be finished.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
I'm against the chrome trim personally. I think they should have paint matched the black part around the light. I had that done on my '15 Ultra and it looks great.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Great looking bike Obb. Yes, the painted trim on your bike looks nice. I actually considered having that done to this bike, but decided in favor of some contrast there....whether black or chrome. I’ve tossed this option in front of several friends and the answer keeps coming up ‘chrome’. Even though this bike is obviously well chromed, I’m not automatic about adding more. I’ve seen it way over-done and it becomes garish. Probably helps that the back end of this bike actually has very little chrome on it....and we’re going with all smoked lights. I also decided to delete the external whip antenna and go hidden I’ve been advised that FM reception may suffer, but we basically never listen to FM radio....so no loss.

Inner fairing has 2 colors of paint which I definitely will enjoy.

B3A0B3C7-1639-4D14-B104-F94B6CAC89A3.jpeg
825E93B7-A33F-4232-95EF-4855273EE876.jpeg

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Nearing completion. Our painter has to do 4 smaller parts including a replacement console for the fuel tank. When those are done and sent back to the dealer the job is essentially complete....for now. We’re told to expect that to happen maybe next week and definitely by the week after. Whatever....we’re in no hurry. When it’s finished we’re looking at a 3 day trip to pick it up and get home.

37C6E188-B615-4C1F-B0C1-EF4DFE244243.jpeg
E4A0F92D-107D-40FD-940C-CC6662D48143.jpeg

One of my winter projects for this bike will be to figure out which seat we want. On our previous ride (batwing) we stayed with the stock seat for 4 years. By the end of that time I think we actually kind of accepted it and the discomforts we endured. I looked at different seats many times (H-D and aftermarket) but we never purchased or tried a different one. That’s primarily because it seemed like a complete and utter crapshoot....’make a guess and throw down good money’ hoping it works. Making it even tougher is that any seat we get has to be great for both of us, as 2-up riding is over 95% of our miles. The truth is that I’m just not sure how to get it right the first time, and I’m not willing to throw down hundreds to thousands of dollars searching for the answer.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Check out Mean City Cycles, they did our seat and it's very comfy

Bike's looking great!

Reactions: StoneTrekker

·
Registered
2008 FLTRU 105th Anniversary w/ 110"
1,200 Posts
Looks awesome and the matching tank bezel will finish it off nicely. As for seats, they are so subjective in that - what works for one person simply doesn't work well for another as your size and weights play a large factor. Good luck with the research on it.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Dealer should have demo seats to try out as well. Sign one out for a week or so. It's free and will get you some ideas of what you might like. I have the heated hammock off my '15 hanging in the garage now after riding in one since 2012. Never realized how high and forward it sat me on the bike until I demoed the HD TallBoy seat. I like that one so much for position that I bought the demo one from the dealer when they closed their franchise. I just need to get it recovered now and soften up the rear pad for the Mrs a little.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
8,503 Posts
+1 on what OBB said bout your HD dealer having a seat loaner program where you can try a seat for a few days without obligation. Once the weather allows it, I'd suggest that you two do a 300 mile day (or whatever would be your normal long day mileage) and take notes, Do you need to be positioned closer to the tank? Would moving you back 1-2" make it much more comfortable for you. Or perhaps your knees feel a bit too 'bent' and raising your seating position might make it much more comfortable. Ditto your wife's seat. Trying several loaned seats will help give you some ideas about what really works, or why they don't. Don't forget that some aftermarket seats (Corbin as an example) feel way too hard until they break in and then they'll support you forever. It's still a crapshoot but doing your homework can better your odds.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Great looking build and I love your philosophy behind why you're doing what you're doing...
Your ride is lookin’ CVO-ish with all that chrome and custom paint - projects like yours might be a good place for the MoCo to gather ideas about what its RG customers want given their list price.
Thanks for investing the time to document the build - everyone here loves to read a great real world love story involving man, woman and machine..!!

And a big welcome to the tank from Ontario, Canada btw..

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Great looking build and I love your philosophy behind why you're doing what you're doing...
Your ride is lookin’ CVO-ish with all that chrome and custom paint - projects like yours might be a good place for the MoCo to gather ideas about what its RG customers want given their list price.
Thanks for investing the time to document the build - everyone here loves to read a great real world love story involving man, woman and machine..!!

100% agree! The factory could take notes for a system that people could do this from the get go, without having to buy a stock bike, only to tear it all down and redo it.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
On the topic of seats, I appreciate the feedback and advice. The Tallboy H-D seat is one I need to try, but I’m exactly 6-0....so maybe the Tallboy would be a bit much. The seat I would love to try is a Mustang Super Deluxe Touring, but again....I’m not likely to blow out $800 hoping to strike gold. I suppose whatever I/we end up with will be one we get to try first, or return if not happy.

We’ve been looking at custom stitched seats for our final look on this custom.

3E8E8F05-CBD9-4203-B435-87F91DDDB7D2.jpeg
C1223A0B-3457-4A4B-AB88-CB3289C34155.jpeg
87184B53-0E72-4186-8449-AEDA687D790B.jpeg

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #60

Appreciate. While not trying to build a CVO, there’s no denying the resemblance to an extent. The cost of this build will easily exceed a CVO, but then it’s definitely a true custom with almost every aspect selected to meet our wants. A year ago this was only a faint dream, but working with an experienced dealer has made it a reality. The most surprising thing has been how quickly the process moved along. I attribute that to the fact we’re working with a H-D dealer which is experienced in custom builds. But it also means we’re paying full hourly labor rates for the work. Not exactly nice in that regard.

ED3C122A-F9DE-4211-A70E-E45B55E80CB4.jpeg

41 - 60 of 70 Posts