Road Glide banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The HD York factory open house party is September 28-30. I haven't been there yet and I'm thinking about if I should make it one of my trips this summer. I don't think they had the open house last year, but has anyone gone to the open house in previous years? Is it worthwhile? Now that the factory has completed the changes to the production facility, it may be interesting to see the factory.

·
Super Moderator
12,315 Posts
I've been to the engine factory near Milwaukee, loved it, I plan to make the York factory one day, if I have the chance I may do the open house.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
I'm planning a trip to take in Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Pkwy this spring with my brother-in-law. If we have the extra time we will add York. Have not seen anything on the tours but will be interested on what others that have been there have to say.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
We visited it at SW1 but were not allowed to tour the plant as the 2012 models were starting production and the designs were not yet made public. Sure would have liked getting the tour of the plant and the open house sounds even better. Look forward to anyone's input on it too :cool:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I did an open house tour about 3 years ago and loved it. They opened up the CVO part of it to us and that was cool stuff there! I don't think they allow tours of the CVO side anymore. Either way I may do the open house tour this year cause now it will be that more cooler with having a touring bike and all.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I did the open house tour in 2008 which is when I fell in love with the shark. They did not allow the visit of the CVO area. They had the chance for evryome to test drive bikes you typically would never ride like CVO bikes. Bring your helmet and make sure you're license has the motorcycle designation on it or they will not let you ride. Pretty neat to go and see.

·
Chief Safety Ossifer , CEO Doofus HD
1,122 Posts
It's good to go on the tour so you can see all the crates that come in from foreign countries. HD -- "assembled" in the U.S.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Open house

I was oat the open house last year . They didn't have one in 2010 because they were having some labor issues and also moving all touring and softail operations into one plant. In 2011 they had the demo fleet there and I believe four of the local dealers had tents set up. The new tour is very interesting they have down an amazing job of streamlining manufacturing into one plant and great reduced the labor process. Very "robotics" oriented. A lot of people lost their jobs. Very amazing how they have reduced the manufacturing process into a relatively small space. Other than that the open house isn't that big a deal. It rained like hell last year and really dampened the event. It is very cool to see where your bike was born though. If you riding through give me a buzz I'm about an hour ride from the factory!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts