Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
JMJOHN
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An Open Letter to Harley Davidson Motor Company

10-23/2017

For as long as I have been alive, there have been Harley Davidson motorcycles.

For the first time in decades HD unit sales have begun to slide significantly downward.

One of the reasons cited is that the younger people in the USA are just not picking up the sport of motorcycle riding the way the older generation did when they were growing up.

That may be true, but in addition to this I feel that the motor company is NOT taking good care of the older generation of customers they already have.

One of the reasons we buy motorcycles (including Harleys) is so that we can customize them to our own individual tastes & styles with aftermarket accessories and add-ons.

And those accessories and add-ons might not necessarily be Harley brand accessories.

Harley Davidson has created an adversarial relationship between their dealers and customers over the addition of non-Harley brand accessories to their motorcycles.

When any warranty issue occurs, the dealer will often go out of their way to record into a computer every single non-Harley accessory that has been added to the motorcycle and to use as many of them as possible as an excuse to deny warranty service.

Whether it is something as simple as a handlebar change, exhaust system modification (within EPA regs) the addition of a trailer hitch, or the addition of an audio system booster amplifier or speaker change, the Harley Davidson dealer will use this as an opportunity or excuse to deny warranty service.

And the Harley Davidson dealer will often do this with no actual proof that the addition of any part or accessory has caused or contributed to the warranty issue the customer is having.

How many times do you think existing customers will put up with this kind of treatment by Harley Davidson, before they make their current Harley THEIR LAST Harley Davidson motorcycle?

I hope that the executives at Harley Davidson Motor Company accept this letter in the spirit with which it is written.

I hope that this letter will contribute a small part to the various changes that might need to take place at Harley, for motorcycle unit sales to rebound and attract new riders to the sport that I have loved all my life.

Sincerely,

John Lazzeroni
President, J&M Corporation
Tucson Arizona USA J&M® Motorcycle Audio

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
You now have 2 open letters out, at least on this forum.
I do agree, the MOCO needs to call off the hounds. Customizing Harleys and all the aftermarket parts available are big reasons why a lot of folks buy their brand.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I am tired of the treatment as well.

I will never buy another J&M product again.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Open another beer, JM who?
Easy times for daisies to play/pay....
The once limps/gimps now say " complain that you didn't like it"
And in so fact o your mouth is held so,
So there's your independent thinking and others should abide

Customize'n how's that not if yours ,, you create the only cool for fools that have none then you say a must or not the ol scoot trust "YOU SPOONGE OFF HD. , not them you

·
Registered
967 Posts
Some points made other not so. Also most HD owners don?t modify their bike pass exhaust and Air cleaner. Majority taking their bikes to the dealer for service.
Motorcycle sport have grown giving owners flexibility and choices, markets most adapt to changes as texnology evolve.
Expand your market into other motorcycle brands be competitive look what is going on the automotive industry on the same respect.
Good luck on changing HD market strategy for a hand full of aftermarket products.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I apologize for going off topic but why do people refer to riding motorcycles as a "sport?" Your not competing with anyone. Your not on a track going for a record. Sorry, that's always annoyed me - just venting.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I apologize for going off topic but why do people refer to riding motorcycles as a "sport?" Your not competing with anyone. Your not on a track going for a record. Sorry, that's always annoyed me - just venting.
Everywhere you see bikers you see people who don't consider it a sport. And some aspects of riding motorcycles are less physical than others. But try riding single track over rocky terrain or sand, while out of shape and see how long you last. Try doing a track day in Las Vegas on a 110 degree day. Try riding well on any track day for that matter, while not in shape. Chances are you won't be on the track for very long. Especially at any kind of speed.
Plodding along on a big HD doesn't require a lot of athleticism, but there is still a lot of hand eye coordination, visual scanning that requires constant attention, and some action/reaction on occasion. Being in good shape is certainly a benefit to being able to spend long amounts of time on a bike and staying focused.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Learned riding on dirt bikes competing amount friends and we threaded as sport, require to train and be on a good shape riding several laps on the trails. Guess was part of our sporting games. To each their own. Like many say iron horse, sure is nothing like riding a horse.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
HD needs some new bean counters. The last I knew the MOCO's CEO didn't ride a MC so he'll trade customer service for profits.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
HD needs some new bean counters. The last I knew the MOCO's CEO didn't ride a MC so he'll trade customer service for profits.
He portrayed himself as a rider who commutes on his bikes. He portrayed himself as a rider when showing off his personal '18 Fat Bob, and Road Glide.

·
Registered
115 Posts
It is what it is. I only purchase an HD accessory for my bike if it's something an aftermarket company doesn't produce. I've never had a warranty issue denied because of aftermarket parts.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Dealers are dealers, they need to make a living, we as HD owners are in a unique club, you can be just about anywhere in this country and if you need a dealer for any reason they are near by, try doing this with a BMW or Ducati.
Also I'm in the majority of people who keep their bike stock, after many bikes and 100's of thousands of miles I have never had an issue that the dealer didn't take some responsibility for. Yes they are expensive but that's what comes with being Americas best motorcycle company.
We have choices, ride what you like, I'm sure other brand dealers of their quirks, I'm staying with HD.

·
Registered
684 Posts
God, wheres my gun?!?!?!? I'm gonna blow my fuckin brains out.

Stop the madness, I dont want to pull the trigger. :wink:

Mike

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Well token [takin] , now let's examine this cry baby...
I placing most on the intercom type market helmet sht stuff.... and all kinda fancy for coordinating suited Riders, Blue or me with reflecting yellow and Red for her and a ball gag.
So the Metric market, specifically, and I switch my legs to say "Goldwinger'z" are targets, and have been for 20yrs or better... no question the products sold to the folds. Plus many high end Harley riders attest.?
So Harley sqeez the market and da little piggy goes wee wee all the way home. Spoiled Bich .

·
Registered
320 Posts
Actually, I don’t think that Harley is any where near as bad at not honoring warranty work based on the presents of after market parts as they are accused of being. In a effort to protect the brand, they are not going announce that they wountn’t discriminate when in comes to after market parts being on one of their bikes coming in for warranty but, it’s been my experience that they won’t unless in fact that after market part was the cause of the failure. I don’t think in these regards that Harley is any different, better or worse, than any other big dollar product manufacturer. They all would rather you buy their shit than somebody else’s, that’s just business. Hell, most of the accessories on my bike are Harley anyway. Simply because it turned out that most of them were better than that same after market part that was being produced.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
I know the MoCo's CFO rides as he got his 18 CVO SG through the dealer I get my shit from.......if this helps
The CEO may ride a little bit now because people got on his shit about running a MC company and not having a MC or any riding experience. When this CEO took over control of the MOCO he did have one day on a MC.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts