Road Glide banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
JMJOHN
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An Open Letter to Harley Davidson Motor Company

10-23/2017

For as long as I have been alive, there have been Harley Davidson motorcycles.

For the first time in decades HD unit sales have begun to slide significantly downward.

One of the reasons cited is that the younger people in the USA are just not picking up the sport of motorcycle riding the way the older generation did when they were growing up.

That may be true, but in addition to this I feel that the motor company is NOT taking good care of the older generation of customers they already have.

One of the reasons we buy motorcycles (including Harleys) is so that we can customize them to our own individual tastes & styles with aftermarket accessories and add-ons.

And those accessories and add-ons might not necessarily be Harley brand accessories.

Harley Davidson has created an adversarial relationship between their dealers and customers over the addition of non-Harley brand accessories to their motorcycles.

When any warranty issue occurs, the dealer will often go out of their way to record into a computer every single non-Harley accessory that has been added to the motorcycle and to use as many of them as possible as an excuse to deny warranty service.

Whether it is something as simple as a handlebar change, exhaust system modification (within EPA regs) the addition of a trailer hitch, or the addition of an audio system booster amplifier or speaker change, the Harley Davidson dealer will use this as an opportunity or excuse to deny warranty service.

And the Harley Davidson dealer will often do this with no actual proof that the addition of any part or accessory has caused or contributed to the warranty issue the customer is having.

How many times do you think existing customers will put up with this kind of treatment by Harley Davidson, before they make their current Harley THEIR LAST Harley Davidson motorcycle?

I hope that the executives at Harley Davidson Motor Company accept this letter in the spirit with which it is written.

I hope that this letter will contribute a small part to the various changes that might need to take place at Harley, for motorcycle unit sales to rebound and attract new riders to the sport that I have loved all my life.

Sincerely,

John Lazzeroni
President, J&M Corporation
Tucson Arizona USA J&M® Motorcycle Audio

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'm new to HD, and don't have any experience with these issues, but I question some of the reasoning behind this.
Should HD stand behind an electrical warranty for audio parts they haven't designed, tested, or installed? Should they have to go to the expense of testing every aftermarket part and installation, to be sure it was not that part that caused the problem?
Not to insult the OP, but you are in the motorcycle accessory business, and it is a little self serving to expect HD to warranty your product/installation. I'm not familiar with your products or warranty, but respectfully ask, if you fix any damage to a bike that HD rejects because of the installation of your product?

My open letter to HD would be that they should include features in a $27K touring bike that come standard in bikes costing $10K less. Heated grips, Blue Tooth, even heated seats. And while their new suspension is good, having to take a bag off to adjust for a passenger is dated. Especially when other brands allow you to do the same thing with the push of a button.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I'm new to HD, and don't have any experience with these issues, but I question some of the reasoning behind this.
Should HD stand behind an electrical warranty for audio parts they haven't designed, tested, or installed? Should they have to go to the expense of testing every aftermarket part and installation, to be sure it was not that part that caused the problem?
Not to insult the OP, but you are in the motorcycle accessory business, and it is a little self serving to expect HD to warranty your product/installation. I'm not familiar with your products or warranty, but respectfully ask, if you fix any damage to a bike that HD rejects because of the installation of your product?

My open letter to HD would be that they should include features in a $27K touring bike that come standard in bikes costing $10K less. Heated grips, Blue Tooth, even heated seats. And while their new suspension is good, having to take a bag off to adjust for a passenger is dated. Especially when other brands allow you to do the same thing with the push of a button.
I don't think anyone is expecting the MOCO to honor the warranty of someone else's product, that was not the OP's point. I agree that the H-D feature set is lacking compared to the competition. And as you learn more about YOUR H-D to correct those deficiencies, you will quickly embrace the OP's point of view. For example, want to change the head pipe on your scoot? If you go with anything other than H-D product, your engine warranty is void, regardless of whether the aftermarket product is properly tuned to your engine specs. Want to use Sena 20's as your bluetooth headset connecting to your Wireless Headset Interface Module (WHIM)? Go ahead, but if you want true stereo and high-fidelity sound, you must use the H-D Boom! Audio 20S EVO. The free market is all about embracing industry standards, not building barriers.

These are just a couple of the stupid things the MOCO has begun to do to their loyal rider base...

·
Registered
321 Posts
I don't think anyone is expecting the MOCO to honor the warranty of someone else's product, that was not the OP's point. I agree that the H-D feature set is lacking compared to the competition. And as you learn more about YOUR H-D to correct those deficiencies, you will quickly embrace the OP's point of view. For example, want to change the head pipe on your scoot? If you go with anything other than H-D product, your engine warranty is void, regardless of whether the aftermarket product is properly tuned to your engine specs. Want to use Sena 20's as your bluetooth headset connecting to your Wireless Headset Interface Module (WHIM)? Go ahead, but if you want true stereo and high-fidelity sound, you must use the H-D Boom! Audio 20S EVO. The free market is all about embracing industry standards, not building barriers.

These are just a couple of the stupid things the MOCO has begun to do to their loyal rider base...
I've posted in other threads about the lack of compatibility of HD with the Sena 20S. When I say that HD should include BT as standard, I meant it should be compatible with stereo headsets. Not that I expect all of the handle bar controls to work with every headset out there. But they should work in stereo. BMW doesn't fully support other devices either, but at least you get stereo.

As to head pipes, they can change the fuel air mixture, and I can see where HD could say do so at your own risk. How do they know it is properly tuned if it is not their product or installation?

I am probably the one of the last people to defend HD. I've owned a LOT of other brands, and never even considered HD until recently.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Will an HD dealership replace an HD product if purchased at another Dealer

I've always wondered if a Harley dealer will honor a Harley product purchased from another Harley Dealer. Example, I purchased my WHIM, online, from another dealer because I got a discounted price. If when flashing the radio for the WHIM it is discovered that the WHIM is bad, will they give me a replacement for the defective product, or will they tell me to go back to the other dealer for the replacement.

If you purchase something from Walmart, any Walmart will take it back, they don't care which Walmart you purchased the product from, you just need the sales receipt from a Walmart.

I know they are all independently owned but I wonder if HD backed its products that way?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts